cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Gradient Effect on 1080A8G

Veovis
Level 10
Hey ROG community.

My 1080 that I'm still holding on to has developed a weird gradient with it's built in led's where the ones near the end of the card (away from the bracket) are color accurate, the middle ones are slightly off (for example if the main ones are green, the others are yellow) and the ones at the backet are more off and barely visible
(Orange)

Any Idea's as to what could be causing this effect? It's uniform on both strips of the card so it doesn't suggest burn out or power issues. And graphically it's fine. I'm guessing it's a software issue. I can take a picture upon request.

Also Armory Crate and GPU Tweak II keep fighting every once in a while after a systems crash or reset on the machine over what Aura setting to display. Any known workarounds to get them to behave? (I'm currently using the GPU and CPU heat settings seperately as it lets me know what could possibly be an issue when doing heavy loads and the machine crashes due to heat.)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any feedback.
8 REPLIES 8

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
ok. well you have a unique card in the planet.

TI am going to write what is what is the true of what is going on.

the Strix has 3 leds, 2 where the fans are. 1 on the backplate. If you have these effect is physical's issue. the happens causes the tubes are dry get yellow can get crack cause by heat.

Read the following lnk, so you can get and change the tubes in the fan plastic that goes direct to the 2 ONLY leds on the card where are the fans are.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99996-Strange-issue-with-1070-Strix-RGB-LEDs/page6

Regarding the armory Crate and the gputweak. you care running the aura control of the gpu (stant alone app?) As far there is no issue with both apps. running perfect
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Oh sweet thanks. Ill see if I can get new tubes since it's only affecting the led's on the heatsink.

As for armory crate and Gpu Tweak? The aura engages for the GPU in Armory crate (despite being unchecked before a crash) and the two programs fight to display. Causing the card to strobe between the two settings.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Veovis wrote:
Oh sweet thanks. Ill see if I can get new tubes since it's only affecting the led's on the heatsink.

As for armory crate and Gpu Tweak? The aura engages for the GPU in Armory crate (despite being unchecked before a crash) and the two programs fight to display. Causing the card to strobe between the two settings.

Do you mean Armoury Crate and Aura are causing a conflict? GPU Tweak II doesn't offer lighting controls. What do you mean by 'causing the card to strobe between the 2 settings'?
Armoury Crate and Aura shouldn't cause a conflict, Crate has priority over Aura.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Do you mean Armoury Crate and Aura are causing a conflict? GPU Tweak II doesn't offer lighting controls. What do you mean by 'causing the card to strobe between the 2 settings'?
Armoury Crate and Aura shouldn't cause a conflict, Crate has priority over Aura.

Well not with my configuration. I'm using the downloads from Asus over the Windows Store install. Originally when I had an IMPACT VI for my Intel, this problem didn't exist as the motherboard didn't have any RGB. I downloaded Armoury Crate to help with the x570-I management and that's when the trouble started as now it goes into seizure mode alternating between GPU TEMP DISPLAY in the Aura Settings under the tools tab of GPU TWEAK II, and the Rainbow cycle in Armory Crate. The only way I've managed to "fix" this is by disabling the Gpu lighting from the Armory Crate.

Now there's a new problem. With only GPU tweak that should be in power (with Armoury crate still working in the background) the card will sometimes forget its "I should be static and show the color of the temperature of the card" priority and go into a breathing lighting mode with the temps until I pick Apply in the Aura settings within GPU Tweak. It's a minor headache but not as big as the two lighting programs fighting for control over the card.

Still concerning though.

MrAgapiGC wrote:
ok. well you have a unique card in the planet.

TI am going to write what is what is the true of what is going on.

the Strix has 3 leds, 2 where the fans are. 1 on the backplate. If you have these effect is physical's issue. the happens causes the tubes are dry get yellow can get crack cause by heat.

Read the following lnk, so you can get and change the tubes in the fan plastic that goes direct to the 2 ONLY leds on the card where are the fans are.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99996-Strange-issue-with-1070-Strix-RGB-LEDs/page6

Regarding the armory Crate and the gputweak. you care running the aura control of the gpu (stant alone app?) As far there is no issue with both apps. running perfect

I am running ONLY the Armory Crate. The gpu stand alone is a very small version of the regular aura, that is part of the Armory crate Hall system. Even that looks to runn fine eventually will crash. But remember and these is a non tech recommendations. Even that i do not run my apps like that, remember to disable the sync in the armory crate. the Armory Crate is still on works. and I am taking all test possible to ensure Asus gets the correct data and information. As today, GPUs in Armory crate, see the lights as a extension of the 12v system. Unsync the card will breath red. sync will react to the 12v line, in other words, will change color as 1 line both fan and backplate. If in the future, gpus get 2 or more zones on the 5v ARBG more control will get. but that is a future that will be check to see.

If you use the Armory Creator, The control has to be done in armory crate.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC wrote:
I am running ONLY the Armory Crate. The gpu stand alone is a very small version of the regular aura, that is part of the Armory crate Hall system. Even that looks to runn fine eventually will crash. But remember and these is a non tech recommendations. Even that i do not run my apps like that, remember to disable the sync in the armory crate. the Armory Crate is still on works. and I am taking all test possible to ensure Asus gets the correct data and information. As today, GPUs in Armory crate, see the lights as a extension of the 12v system. Unsync the card will breath red. sync will react to the 12v line, in other words, will change color as 1 line both fan and backplate. If in the future, gpus get 2 or more zones on the 5v ARBG more control will get. but that is a future that will be check to see.

If you use the Armory Creator, The control has to be done in armory crate.

Ah thanks, that explains that when I go back (after disabling armory crate's control over the GPU Lighting) to using the Aura built into GPU Tweak II (because I like seeing my Temps individually per the unit that's overheating. EX:Red mobo vs Yellow card means Motherboard is hotter than the Card) the brief flash of red that occurs when the card's lighting is forced to refresh into the setting I want.

Still trying to turn off the default to breathing though.

Veovis
Level 10
Still no cure to the default to breathing on the Included Aura tool in GPU TWEAK II. I'm going to see if there's a bios setting that might be over riding this.

Veovis
Level 10
Found it. Well some of it. While it doesn't disable the breathing at default, turns out the AURA in the bios was messing with a lot of desired lighting settings. After disabling it and letting the windows program take over I now have lighting where I desire it instead of using presets. (For example the back audio LED's would reflect off a wall a night, throwing off visuals.) It still breathes when it boots but at least now the card behaves itself with both BIOS Aura and Armory Crate Lighting disabled for the card. (And letting the GPU Aura do it's thing)

So problem solved. I'ma wait for those light pipes to come down in price though. They look rather expensive, I might just go buy a spool of opaque T-glass and 3d print that for fit instead during a repaste.