cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74Sx 2nd SSD Recommendations?

jamcghie
Level 7
Hey I have an OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD as my "STORAGE" or secondary drive. It is rather unreliable and gets errors all the time (need to use disk check a lot). I even used this SSD in my Dell, same problems. Is there a software that I dont know of that can fix this? If not, what are your recommendations???

I am looking for an SSD with my priority more towards space than speed. If I can have both at an ok price, great. I want to go between 120Gb and 256Gb.

What are some manufacturers you trust? I have a Patriot Pyro 60GB which gets 7.5 in Windows Experience Index. (I know not reliable but still a good score... Plus I havent had any problems with this SSD and it is super fast.)
8 REPLIES 8

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I wouldn't recommend an SSD as a data drive, but if you really want to go that route, I'd suggest the same brands I recommend for OS drives....Intel and Crucial.

Sounds good guys. Thanks!

ColonelS
Level 9
i vote for intel~

and i also wouldnt recommend an SSD as data drive =/
Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page

Giako
Level 7
I have had many problems with the OCZ Vertex 120GB 3 ... when I installed the OS on them, sometimes stuck at boot ... I had to sell it ... I got a 120GB intel 520s .. I just arrives we will install the OS on it ...
Asus G74sx-91328v 3D ~ GTX560M 3GB ~ 16GB Ram ~ 750GB 7200rpm ~ SSD Intel 520s 120GB ~

Giako wrote:
I have had many problems with the OCZ Vertex 120GB 3 ... when I installed the OS on them, sometimes stuck at boot ... I had to sell it ... I got a 120GB intel 520s .. I just arrives we will install the OS on it ...

I'm wary of sounding like I mean to trash a brand I don't personally own. But it does seem that people report a lot more issues with OCZ than any of the other common brands. I don't know why that is, or why some OCZ owners (like the previous poster) don't have any of these problems......but the mere fact that I've seen a lot of reports like yours is enough to make me avoid that brand.

I replaced the primary hdd (WD Scorpio Black 750GB/7200) with OCZ Vertex 3, 90 GB and is working like a charm, no BSOD, no freezing. I am keeping the stock WD as a secondary disk for storage.

OCZ SSDs are very fast disks but also are very sensible. My advice is to be careful at AHCI drivers you use. OCZ recommend to keep microsoft native AHCI drivers instead Intel or others. For more information about OCZ install/use and issues take a look here:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?79848-THE-BASIC-GUIDE-amp-FAQ-ABC-for-OCZ-SSD
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
I7 3930K | Geil Evo Veloce Frost White 4X8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL11 Quad Channel Kit | Asus GeForce GTX 690 4GB DDR5 512-bit | 2 X Intel 240GB SATA-III 520 Series + 1 X Samsung 512GB SATA-III 830 Series | Asus Xonar-Phoebus | Corsair AX1200i Digital Platinum ATX | Cooler Master Cosmos II | Corsair Hydro Series H100 | BenQ XL2420T 24 inch | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

BrodyBoy wrote:
I'm wary of sounding like I mean to trash a brand I don't personally own. But it does seem that people report a lot more issues with OCZ than any of the other common brands. I don't know why that is, or why some OCZ owners (like the previous poster) don't have any of these problems......but the mere fact that I've seen a lot of reports like yours is enough to make me avoid that brand.

Dont worry, @BrodyBoy, you don't sound like you are bashing the brand. I have heard a number of the same reviews. While I personally don't own any SSD's, your assessment of reviews is the same as mine. All the reviews I have heard recommend Intel drives or a few other brands...can't recall what they were. @jamcghie, Intel has some good deals on low-performance SSD's:cool:. On newegg, the older (not 510/520) drives are often on good sales. They are especially slow on the writes (read as slow as a hard drive--45 MB/s), but the read speeds are still quite decent.
Say:
1) Crucial 128 GB $150 ($200)
2) Intel 120 GB $180 ($200)
Here is the filtered search on newegg:
Search for 120-256GB SSD's
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

sunninho
Level 7
I had a OCZ Agility 3 120GB as my boot drive with no problems running Windows 7 and as the launch drive for a Windows 8 Preview VM. It was just as fast (to my eyes) and reliable as my current Intel 520 240GB.
G53SX-AH71:

• Core i7 2670QM
  • Nvidia GTX 560M 2GB
  • 32GB Corsair DDR3-1333
  • Intel 520 240GB SSD
  • Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid HD
  • Intel 6230 802.11n Bluetooth 3.0
  • Panasonic Blu-Ray Burner UJ-240
  • Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit