cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re GL704gw installing windows

Jimmeh
Level 7
Hey guys. Im looking into re-installing windows once i get my second hdd in. So looking todo a full format re-install from scratch.*
Its a gl704gw
Im unsure as its had windows preinstalled and not sure what todo. Download off the microsoft store. Find the key in my windows now somehow?

What asus programs do i re-install? *Last laptop was a mac. So still getting used to windows.
Cheers for all the help*
4 REPLIES 4

Jesseinsf
Level 10
Jimmeh wrote:
Hey guys. Im looking into re-installing windows once i get my second hdd in. So looking todo a full format re-install from scratch.*
Its a gl704gw
Im unsure as its had windows preinstalled and not sure what todo. Download off the microsoft store. Find the key in my windows now somehow?

What asus programs do i re-install? *Last laptop was a mac. So still getting used to windows.
Cheers for all the help*

• First thing is to have an extra mouse on hand incase the the touchpad doesn't work when installing windows.
  • back up everything and write down any settings if you did not sign in to a Microsoft account.
  • You will need a USB flash drive 8GB or more
  • Go here and download all drivers and software from this link and put it on an external souce: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-II/HelpDesk_Download/ Only download the latest of each choice. Don't download the last thing on the list that says "Hotfix". You will only install that if you notice Armoury Crate is not working after installing Armoury Crate later on. When downloading all the software and drivers, make sure you choose "See all downloads" under each category to see more software.
  • Insert your flash drive and click here to download Windows 10. It will download the Microsoft Media Creation tool. Open the Media Creation tool and make sure you choose to create Installation media (USB Flash Drive). This tool will erase all data on the flash drive so if you are going to put the software and drivers on this same drive then do it after the Media creation tool finishes. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
  • Once finished you will need to know the media boot "F" key to push during the pre-boot process. It's either F8, F10 or F12.
  • Shut down your laptop and insert the USB flash drive that has Windows install media on it.
  • Turn on your laptop while repeatedly pressing the "F" key that allows you to choose media to boot from.
  • Once the menu appears then choose your flash drive.
  • Installation will begin.
  • Follow the instructions until it asks you which drive you want to install Windows on. Delete everything in the list until you get one drive that says Unallocated.
  • Choose the unallocated drive and click next. Let Windows install
  • Once finished you will see a welcoming screen where you choose your locally. Follow the instructions through the process.
  • I like to sign in to my Microsoft account to have it sync my settings and restore all my files from OneDrive. If you prefer not to do this then when it asks for a Microsoft account then find on the bottom left where it say to create a local account. You will have to do this if Windows didn't install the WiFi drivers
  • Once you log in, Install the WiFi Drivers if they have not been installed then go to Windows Update and install all updates. Some people like to install drivers first before Windows Update. In this case you will need to disconnect from the internet first thing after logging in for the first time. Then install all drivers and software you put on a flash drive. After that you will need to install all updates from Windows Update.
  • Anything I have missed you can follow instructions on each menu during installation
  • Install any software you use and restore all data that you backed up.
  • As for browser favorites, lets hope you signed in to google and sync'd your account with Chrome or signed in to a Microsoft account to have Edge bring back your favorites.
  • After all this then you are done. Lastly. This process can take between 2 to 4 hours (Sometimes More)
  • Oh and since this is a laptop, I would install all Asus software for full laptop functionality (Unless someone knows what software is not needed).

Things to know: you don't need the Windows key since Microsoft activation already knows your laptop's hardware. It uses your hardware as a fingerprint (so to speak). When install asks for the key you will choose the option "I don't have a Key". It will automatically activate once you connect to the internet for the first time.

Jesseinsf wrote:

• First thing is to have an extra mouse on hand incase the the touchpad doesn't work when installing windows.
  • back up everything and write down any settings if you did not sign in to a Microsoft account.
  • You will need a USB flash drive 8GB or more
  • Go here and download all drivers and software from this link and put it on an external souce: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-II/HelpDesk_Download/ Only download the latest of each choice. Don't download the last thing on the list that says "Hotfix". You will only install that if you notice Armoury Crate is not working after installing Armoury Crate later on. When downloading all the software and drivers, make sure you choose "See all downloads" under each category to see more software.
  • Insert your flash drive and click here to download Windows 10. It will download the Microsoft Media Creation tool. Open the Media Creation tool and make sure you choose to create Installation media (USB Flash Drive). This tool will erase all data on the flash drive so if you are going to put the software and drivers on this same drive then do it after the Media creation tool finishes. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
  • Once finished you will need to know the media boot "F" key to push during the pre-boot process. It's either F8, F10 or F12.
  • Shut down your laptop and insert the USB flash drive that has Windows install media on it.
  • Turn on your laptop while repeatedly pressing the "F" key that allows you to choose media to boot from.
  • Once the menu appears then choose your flash drive.
  • Installation will begin.
  • Follow the instructions until it asks you which drive you want to install Windows on. Delete everything in the list until you get one drive that says Unallocated.
  • Choose the unallocated drive and click next. Let Windows install
  • Once finished you will see a welcoming screen where you choose your locally. Follow the instructions through the process.
  • I like to sign in to my Microsoft account to have it sync my settings and restore all my files from OneDrive. If you prefer not to do this then when it asks for a Microsoft account then find on the bottom left where it say to create a local account. You will have to do this if Windows didn't install the WiFi drivers
  • Once you log in, Install the WiFi Drivers if they have not been installed then go to Windows Update and install all updates. Some people like to install drivers first before Windows Update. In this case you will need to disconnect from the internet first thing after logging in for the first time. Then install all drivers and software you put on a flash drive. After that you will need to install all updates from Windows Update.
  • Anything I have missed you can follow instructions on each menu during installation
  • Install any software you use and restore all data that you backed up.
  • As for browser favorites, lets hope you signed in to google and sync'd your account with Chrome or signed in to a Microsoft account to have Edge bring back your favorites.
  • After all this then you are done. Lastly. This process can take between 2 to 4 hours (Sometimes More)
  • Oh and since this is a laptop, I would install all Asus software for full laptop functionality (Unless someone knows what software is not needed).

Things to know: you don't need the Windows key since Microsoft activation already knows your laptop's hardware. It uses your hardware as a fingerprint (so to speak). When install asks for the key you will choose the option "I don't have a Key". It will automatically activate once you connect to the internet for the first time.

Awesome, *thanks for all that. Time to get downloading :)*

Joanne1
Level 9
Hi Jesseinsf ,

Thanks for sharing 🙂

Joanne@ASUS wrote:
Hi Jesseinsf ,

Thanks for sharing 🙂

You're welcome Joanne