cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix B450-E nvme raid issue

mopeygoth
Level 7
hey,

i have an odd issue where my M.2 drivers to not appear in raidexpert in windows, and in device manager the two drives appear individually, and not as a raid array like my 4x sata drives (that are in raid)

The boot drive is GPT UEFI, so that i have the raidexpert options available in bios.

I can set up the raid in bios, but it does not carry through to windows as described above.

the AMD CBS menu is greyed out in bios, but the raid expert menu is there, so go figure.

both NVME and SATA is set as raid in sata configuration under chiptset.

I've installed the sata raid drivers initially, when setting up the sata raid (used for backup of my nvme content before attempting the raid in the first place)

the current storage config is:

4x sata ssds in raid
2x m.2 nvme supposed to be in raid
another m.2 nvme in pci-express 3.0 x4 adapter with OS

any ideas?

i did not do any screenshots when i first attempted this, but if needed, i can redo it all for documentation and clarification.
3 REPLIES 3

AS185
Level 10
I checked your motherboard manual thoroughly.
First things first. Did you install all the necessary drivers for raid during the Windows installation process? I see that you have the operating system on a separate nvme SSD in the adapter. If so, I believe there is a way to initiate from Windows the raid established from BIOS. You will need to install an AMD raid software & AMD raid installer to initialize AMD RaidXpert2. All this from AMD's website. I've been reading that there are problems with this RaidXpert2 application. It looks complicated to get it all running too. I won't be able to help you out if that's the case.
Anyways, if this is the problem and you can't solve it, no worries! You can always install the operating system first on the nvme raid and then just hook up the nvme adapter 🙂 I have mine system setup like that. Unfortunately, the AMD StoreMI is also not working properly on my operating system. AMD is supposed to release this year a new enhanced application. Hopefully, by then, most issues should be resolved.

AS185 wrote:
I checked your motherboard manual thoroughly.
First things first. Did you install all the necessary drivers for raid during the Windows installation process? I see that you have the operating system on a separate nvme SSD in the adapter. If so, I believe there is a way to initiate from Windows the raid established from BIOS. You will need to install an AMD raid software & AMD raid installer to initialize AMD RaidXpert2. All this from AMD's website. I've been reading that there are problems with this RaidXpert2 application. It looks complicated to get it all running too. I won't be able to help you out if that's the case.
Anyways, if this is the problem and you can't solve it, no worries! You can always install the operating system first on the nvme raid and then just hook up the nvme adapter 🙂 I have mine system setup like that. Unfortunately, the AMD StoreMI is also not working properly on my operating system. AMD is supposed to release this year a new enhanced application. Hopefully, by then, most issues should be resolved.

hey!, i dont know why i didnt get a notification that you responded, but thank you very much for that 🙂

I did install the drivers, but i am also running 4xSSDs in raid0 - i've read that the board can have issues running both SSD and NVME raid at the same time.

I had the SSD raid to be able to back up the two 1TB NVME drives before putting them in raid.

I just bought an external 4TB disk to use as backup, so i will try without the SSDs configured as raid (and disconnected) on a fresh windows install - hopefully that will solve the problem. Backing up with 100mb/s to the HDD, as opposed to the 2000mb/s to the ssd raid kinda sucks, but hopefully i can get both working eventually.

Windows is running off the pcie card on a 500gb evo 970 nvme - so that one is not affected by the raid.

I will let you know how it goes, also - with all the new CPUs coming out, hopefully we will get new bioses soon.

xeromist
At the top of every thread there is a drop down for Thread Tools. That gives you the option to subscribe. You can also adjust subscription settings in your profile options to auto subscribe when you reply and whether you want an email or forum notification.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…