cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG GL502vs not charging and now it's dead

FabioM
Level 7
Hello

Just came across a dead laptop today and really need advise.

Today when I turned on the laptop, I noticed the battery wasn't charging. I went to troubleshoot the issue with several solutions that I found on the web but none of them worked.

What I tried was:

- Change the power outlet
- Clean the connector
- Uninstall battery drivers

After a while trying to look for a solution, the battery discharged completely and now is dead.

Unfortunately it's not under warranty and it's an internal battery so I'm a bit in a dead end right now.

This might be a coincidence but had a Windows update yesterday and there was even an update always failing to install, so I don't know if something went off after this.

Anyway, what should the next step be for solving this?
4 REPLIES 4

jdfrench3
Level 12
When I get such laptops, I first give the batteries a good charge using an external battery charger (In this case I would remove the battery from the laptop and attach to my shop charger).

While the battery is charging I would check the output voltage of the wall charger. If bad, replace.

Once I have a fully charged battery, I would reinstall the battery.

Connect a known good wall charger.

Boot-up the laptop and check if it is charging.

If not, I check the DC-IN socket on the side of the laptop. If good, then I suspect the motherboard is at fault.

Might be worth taking the laptop to a tech that can perform such testing. Then determine whether you want to put more money into it's repair.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

FabioM
Level 7
jdfrench3 thanks for your help

I don't have a way to check output voltage but I will get one to do this troubleshooting.

Anyway, even if the battery is dead, isn't the laptop supposed to keep turned on if the charger is plugged-in ?

FabioM
Level 7
Oh, I just tried using another charger from a Philips monitor, although with a bit less voltage and amperage (19V 2A) and the laptop turned on so the problem is on a faulty charger.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello FabioM,
Please kindly send your charger to the service center.
Thank you.