cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Extreme still a good choice ?

-Nax-
Level 8
Hello,

i got a 10980XE, i can get the old Rampage VI Extreme (Bios 3006) for a good price and i want to know if it is still a good choice.

I know all her advantage (U.2, 10G Lan, 5 PCI Express port, Thunderbolt 3 support, 256Go RAM support), but for OC a 10980XE, is she enough to reach high level record (5Ghz can support with her VRM ^^') ?

Thanks for your advise, have a nice day.
11 REPLIES 11

Int8bldr
Level 11
-Nax- wrote:
Hello,

i got a 10980XE, i can get the old Rampage VI Extreme (Bios 3006) for a good price and i want to know if it is still a good choice.

I know all her advantage (U.2, 10G Lan, 5 PCI Express port, Thunderbolt 3 support, 256Go RAM support), but for OC a 10980XE, is she enough to reach high level record (5Ghz can support with her VRM ^^') ?

Thanks for your advise, have a nice day.

Good question!

Here are my thoughts. You could consider if:

1. if you can verify that the board is good, confirmed. With good I mean:
- it works stable with all 8 RAM slots filled 24/7 for at least a week without random lockups. Why? Several person on this forum (including me) and other forums have found problems when populating the right side RAM slots (all 4 of them). And believe me this is not a fixable problem and was super hard to diagnose wasted @#$@ months. If the board you are considering has this issue it's unrecoverable, you cannot run 256GB ram and you cannot run more than dual channel (quad channel is toast).
2. You put good cooling on VRMs. I had to put extra fans over them to bring VRMs temps - not only when OC-ing but also when you run AVX 512 work loads
3. You are not going to OC the CPU that much 24/7 say staying around/below 4.5GHz or so and pretty high AVX/AVX512 offsets. You can still do short OC test close to 5GHz with good water cooling, but not 24/7 for months.

Encore is a better board with much better power delivery allowing you to run higher stable OCs 24/7 and lower AVX/AVX512 offsets.
Still, with this board I would run it through a 24/7 test for a week with all RAM banks populated before I would accept the board.

This feels like the new normal for ASUS rampage boards (too many quality control issues).
AND
If it does not pass a full week 24/7 stress test return the board! Do not hesitate!

-Nax-
Level 8
Thank you so much for your answer ! Well it seems to be a dangerous choice ... and whate about Rampage VI Extreme OMEGA ?

I have the Omega; been no trouble from day one. Plus you can hunt around for deals.

For OCing a CPU with 16 or more cores, I'd strongly recommend going for one of the revised boards with improved VRMs (e.g. the Omega or Encore). The Prime Deluxe II also has quite a decent power solution (it could handle a 7980XE stable at 4.7 GHz all core), though not quite as good as the Omega or Encore.

I have core i9 10980XE with a R6E encore board and it runs great! i can really recommend that board.

in general the sequence of buying the different component is important.

- make sure you bought and have all components in your home BEFORE you buy the board.

- make sure you have all you need to test the board in a case when you get it (also PSU, all cables, thermal past, fans, even the smallest detail can set you back).

- make sure you have time to do the testing when you get the board.

it's a bit of a race against the return policy, i.e. you have the time and all components ready to test and return the board if it fails you, avoiding the RMA policy mess.

take it from me: I bought the R6E original board and the CPU at the same time, got the board almost immediately but had to wait another month for the CPU. when I finally got it and did lots of tests, trial & error, fault diagnostics, and was able to conclusively determine that it was a board issue, I was out of policy and had to struggled with the F@#$%&* RMA...

restsugavan
Level 13
R6E still the best choice.
W11CANARY 26085.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

xarot
Level 11
R6E is very good and very "beautiful" board. There is only ONE issue I can think of. I never got it to pull more than 400W for the CPU. It looks like this is some hard limitation. At least one other user reported this issue as well. However, I do not think you will pull more than 400W for 24x7 stable operation and you will need a serious water loop for maintaining that heat. You can likely go for up to 4.5~4.7 GHz on the 10980XE CPU still.

With my 7980XE@4.5 delid, running Prime95 is already enough for my 360+480mm water loop.
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling

So even with the all new asus Pro WS Sage II i can't dream about good OC ?

-Nax-
Level 8
Thanks for your answer, so i must test it like hell before i can't send it back for refund.

I have another question, i saw the asus Pro WS Sage II, it got all without limitation, 7 Pci express, U.2 Port, Thunderbolt, m.2. Not the same price but what do you think about it ? I m not sure that she will be able to overclock well (i know it is not is priority but it's the third version of the Sage so i wonder if they have vrm and cooler for).

One again thanks for your help and answer.