CPU CoolerScythe Fuma Rev.B X2 Fans
    CaseZalman Z11 plus
    Power SupplyAntec 620W
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Sennheiser Game Zero
    OS Windows 10 Home

Question Best way to stability check a CPU OC

Hi everyone,

Since a few days, I am trying to get a slight OC (4,7Ghz@1.225v BIOS) on my I7-7700K, but as it is a hot chip, I am quite confused by the very disparate results I get from a stress test to another, especially about temperatures.

What software would you recommend to stress-test the stability and for how long ? I have read that Realbench is a good test as it is quite realistic. Some recommend to run the benchmark for a few hours, some recommend the Stress-test for a few hours ? What about it ?

Another concern is that on IntelBurnTest, Prime95 (most recent version) & OCCT Linpack, I get INSTANTLY crazy temperatures (90 C°/194F° average), how can it be so hot instantly ? I have read that it may be due to the AVX instructions, as I don't get these temps on other software, or on older versions (example V266 of prime95 it seems to work great). The avg is then 73C° (163F°) Should I bother with it ?

For information, I have Maximus VIII Ranger, I7-7700K (4,7GHZ@1.225v bios), Scythe Fuma REV.B (X2 fans) CPU cooler, and Zalman Z11+ Case (1 front intake / 1 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust).

Thanks for your answers :-).

Bye.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

For the platform you are using I would still recommend Realbench. Prime95 induces an incredible amount of current based on a totally unrealistic AVX routine. For 9/10 users a video encode will be the most taxing AVX load put on the system, therefore Realbench is ideal for emulating a real work use. It depends on what one intends to use the system for.

ROG Enthusiast Array Rokha88 PC Specs
    Rokha88 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Ranger
    ProcessorI7-7700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000 Mhz 2 X 8 G
    Graphics Card #1Zotac RTX 2070 Super Mini
    MonitorMSI Optix G27C2 + AOC CQ27G2U
    Storage #1Crucial MX 300 275Go SSD
    Storage #21To Seagate Barracuda
    CaseZalman Z11 plus
    Power SupplyAntec 620W
    Mouse Logitech G305
    OS Windows 10 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ASUS View Post
    For the platform you are using I would still recommend Realbench. Prime95 induces an incredible amount of current based on a totally unrealistic AVX routine. For 9/10 users a video encode will be the most taxing AVX load put on the system, therefore Realbench is ideal for emulating a real work use. It depends on what one intends to use the system for.

Thank you. I have ran Realbench for 8 hours straight and set 16 RAM (which is my maximum) and it seems it has ran with no trouble @ 1.248v (hwmonitor).

The problem is that not I am trying to put it in adaptive mode but it seems it wants to go above the required 1.248v. How can I solve this as it gets to 1.264v, which I don't think is necessary?

Is it 100% sure that the adaptative will pull enough voltage, even at lower CPU charges?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Rokha88; 05-21-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokha88 View Post
    Thank you. I have ran Realbench for 8 hours straight and set 16 RAM (which is my maximum) and it seems it has ran with no trouble @ 1.248v (hwmonitor).

The problem is that not I am trying to put it in adaptive mode but it seems it wants to go above the required 1.248v. How can I solve this as it gets to 1.264v, which I don't think is necessary?

Is it 100% sure that the adaptative will pull enough voltage, even at lower CPU charges?

Thank you.
    Adaptive uses Intel's VID table, so it is not possible to go below the minimum VID for said frequency. You would need to run a negative offset, however be aware this is applied to the entire VID stack, not just the turbo multipliers.

ROG Enthusiast Array Rokha88 PC Specs
    Rokha88 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Ranger
    ProcessorI7-7700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000 Mhz 2 X 8 G
    Graphics Card #1Zotac RTX 2070 Super Mini
    MonitorMSI Optix G27C2 + AOC CQ27G2U
    Storage #1Crucial MX 300 275Go SSD
    Storage #21To Seagate Barracuda
    CaseZalman Z11 plus
    Power SupplyAntec 620W
    Mouse Logitech G305
    OS Windows 10 Home

I had a look at it and the VID mentions 1.245v, the highest.

That's quite complicated to find the perfect balance between sufficent voltage at middle-high charge without going sky high, and not getting too low on idle loads..

I have heard of "SVID Behaviour" option but I can't find it in my bios, which is up to date still.
    Last edited by Rokha88; 05-22-2020 at 09:17 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

One way to VERY quickly determine if you are unstable is to use java minecraft, if you own it.
    Run HWinfo64 in sensors only mode and go to WHEA area.

Then load minecraft to main menu about 20 times in a row
    MC puts a 100% load (almost) on all cores when loading the game.
    If you are completely unstable, you will get CPU Cache L0 error.

Easy test.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array RedSector73 PC Specs
    RedSector73 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)FA506IU-AL130T x 2
    MotherboardROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Memory (part number)4 x G.SKILL F4-3800C14D-16GTZN 14-16-16-36 Samsung B-Die
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WaterForce (GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC)
    Sound CardArctis DAC
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB
    Storage #22 x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster Liquid Pro Master 360
    CaseEVGA DG-87 Gunmetal Grey Gaming Case
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold Power
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Gaming Mouse
    Headset ARCTIS Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Cooler Master MP750 RGB Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad Extra Large
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

I would not use a game to stress test a system, personally I would use Aida64 stress test. if it detects a system flaw it immediately shuts down the test and if not after about 30 minutes/heat soak of the equipment, you know you have stable system.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokha88 View Post
    I had a look at it and the VID mentions 1.245v, the highest.

That's quite complicated to find the perfect balance between sufficent voltage at middle-high charge without going sky high, and not getting too low on idle loads..

I have heard of "SVID Behaviour" option but I can't find it in my bios, which is up to date still.
    As I said, you can apply either a negative or positive offset, however, this isn't true adaptive. The minimum VID is definined by the individual CPU. Not something within our control.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by RedSector73 View Post
    I would not use a game to stress test a system, personally I would use Aida64 stress test. if it detects a system flaw it immediately shuts down the test and if not after about 30 minutes/heat soak of the equipment, you know you have stable system.
    I agree with you. However there are some cases where you are temperature limited and can't run AIDA64 at all, because AIDA64 "Stress FPU" (the test you want to run normally), uses AVX instructions, and runs as hot as small FFT Prime95 with AVX disabled.

In that case, you need a less stressful stress test. My minecraft java (i do not know about the windows version) test is reliable because it puts a 100% all core burst gaming load on the CPU. This is different from a "Synthetic" load because of something called "transientse"--a burst gaming load will have worse transients, which helps "balance" the much higher current draw of the synethetic load dropping voltage more.

Give it a try.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array RedSector73 PC Specs
    RedSector73 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)FA506IU-AL130T x 2
    MotherboardROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Memory (part number)4 x G.SKILL F4-3800C14D-16GTZN 14-16-16-36 Samsung B-Die
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WaterForce (GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC)
    Sound CardArctis DAC
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB
    Storage #22 x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster Liquid Pro Master 360
    CaseEVGA DG-87 Gunmetal Grey Gaming Case
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold Power
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Gaming Mouse
    Headset ARCTIS Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Cooler Master MP750 RGB Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad Extra Large
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

Aida64 - System Stability Test
    Can stress
    CPU
    FPU
    Cache
    System memory
    Local disk(s)
    GPU

As a whole or individually

I'd call that comprehensive stress test, besides once got stable in it never found anything that prove otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast