cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING 0D's w/2 different 3900X's, but works with 3700X & 2700X

daverx7
Level 7
I have a build computer with the following hardware…..

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
BIOS: Version 1408
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC kit (in the QVL)
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080ti
PSU: Cosair RM750x

I'm getting the 0D error with this configuration above. I've fully reset (battery removal and short the reset pins... and from within the BIOS).... It will work with one DRAM sticks and will work with the other G.Skill DRAM stick in the furthest slot from the CPU. I tried another set of DRAM sticks (Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 speed). With that set of 4 sticks and if I have any DRAM in the 1st and 2nd slot (from the CPU) it generates 0D as well. I used compressed air to clear out the DRAM slots and it still fails, except when using 1 stick in the slot furthest from the CPU.

[Edit:] Just tested the G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC in the 3rd and 4th slot from the CPU, and it boots. Weird... [end edit]

This system worked with all the same equipment except with the 2700X and 3700X CPU's, but as soon as I put in the 3900X, it does the OD. So, I swapped the 3700X back in, and it worked.... as expected.

I just now received a new 3900X and it does the same 0D. UGH!!! So, I'm now leaning towards the BIOS (or setting) or motherboard?

I posted something close to this in another thread with this info... but didn't want to hi-jack their thread.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Dave
13 REPLIES 13

AS185
Level 10
Error's 0C-0D mean "Reserved for AMI SEC error codes". It's in the manual.
So you can't POST with the 3900X at all it seems. Try posting and booting with the configuration you mentioned. Make sure one memory module is installed in the A2 slot and all of the ATX power connectors inserted into the motherboard. Inside the BIOS, search for any strange errors, for example, an SSD does not display that you have attached to the SATA port. I could be other things that you will have to figure out once within the BIOS.

AS185 wrote:
So you can't POST with the 3900X at all it seems. Try posting and booting with the configuration you mentioned. Make sure one memory module is installed in the A2 slot and all of the ATX power connectors inserted into the motherboard. Inside the BIOS, search for any strange errors, for example, an SSD does not display that you have attached to the SATA port. I could be other things that you will have to figure out once within the BIOS.

Thanks for the super fast response! I can get it to boot with memory in A2 and/or A1, but as soon as I put the 2nd stick in B2, it errors with 0D on boot. I'm currently running it now with it in slots A2 and A1and it sees and uses all 32GB. As you suggest, I'll look for anything odd, but it seems to work okay with the memory in A2 and/or A1. Of course this is not what the manual suggests. 🙂

I'll report back when I examine the CMOS and see if anything looks amiss.

Thanks again,

-Dave

AS185 wrote:
Inside the BIOS, search for any strange errors, for example, an SSD does not display that you have attached to the SATA port. I could be other things that you will have to figure out once within the BIOS.

Very interesting... As you suggested, I went into the BIOS and looked around for anything strange, and saw that my only storage device (Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe - SB-ROCKET-1TB) shows up as Not Present in M.2_1.

However, if I go into the EZ Flash 3 Utility (v0.300) in the same session of browsing around in the BIOS, I see it showing the Storage Device(s):
fs0:\ [528 MB]
fs1:\ [95 MB]
fs2:\ [976116 MB]

Also, when it boots in Windows 10, it's using the drive, as it's my only storage device in the system.

Does this provide you any more info that could be an indicator of what I need to do to get it to work with the 3900X? (A reminder, it works just fine with the 3700X and 2700X... it just fails with two different 3900X's) 🙂

Thanks again,

-Dave

No Dave, it should be fine because in my BIOS, I have the same thing. I was thinking that you have an SSD not displayed.
It's hard to say on what the problem could be. You might have to just ask Asus now through their support site and patiently wait for an response. Maybe the other users in the other thread you mentioned, will have some solution? Check there as well. One last thing to do is to actually install the 3900X on another compatible motherboard. But I rather doubt it's the processor at fault. A faulty cpu is very rare nowadays but who knows?
Try not to frustrate over this Dave. If nobody on here figures out what the problem is then Asus's techs will for sure. I waited last time around for an response close to 3 or 4 days.

Thanks for your help and tip on what to expect from ASUS support. I really would like to keep the 3900X, but at least I can go back to my 3700X, if needed.

-Dave

OP - Do you have RAM that is not corsair that you could try in the board or even borrow just to see if can eliminate a hunch of mine ?

daverx7 wrote:
Thanks for your help and tip on what to expect from ASUS support. I really would like to keep the 3900X, but at least I can go back to my 3700X, if needed.

-Dave

Dave if you have cpu 3700x working with ram (in slots 2 & 4 from cpu) on the motherboard, then place the 3900x X2 and both won't work.

Think you have answer about the problem. All weight leans towards BIOS issue or the 3900x itself. I would move to ticket support from ASUS and note that at least one other with same motherboard has similar issue, think you have shed brightest light to date on this subject.

RedSector73 wrote:
Dave if you have cpu 3700x working with ram (in slots 2 & 4 from cpu) on the motherboard, then place the 3900x X2 and both won't work.

Think you have answer about the problem. All weight leans towards BIOS issue or the 3900x itself. I would move to ticket support from ASUS and note that at least one other with same motherboard has similar issue, think you have shed brightest light to date on this subject.

Thanks for the reply and confirmation where I was leaning. I thought the same thing, and got a 2nd 3900X today. Unfortunately, the new one failed as well... IMO, eliminating the 3900X CPU. (I hope the chances of getting two defective 3900X's is astronomically low.)

I've been running the new 3900X all day with 1 stick of RAM, and it runs great. Now, I just need to find a way to get slot 2 from the CPU working.

I went ahead and initiated a support ticket via e-mail, in hopes they have a fix. If they do, I will certainly post up what was the case and the resolution.

Thanks again for your response. I'm new to this forum, and love how helpful it has been already in just one day!!

-Dave

TLDR - ASUS support is RMA'ing this motherboard. IMO, this was the right call.

Just a quick follow-up on this issue. I submitted an e-mail to ASUS support with detailed description that pretty much pulled the info from this thread. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to read it and provided a very thorough troubleshooting guide. I just decided to call them, as I was concerned how long this was going to take. Unfortunately due to COVID-19, their motherboard support is not taking calls, but the agent stepped me through all the prompts to get right to an agent via Chat.

The agent via Chat took my summary and the original submission from the email, and came to the quick conclusion that the motherboard needs to be sent in for repair. I'm not sure the level of detail of what the tech will provide on the workorder, but I'll be happy to post it up.

Thanks again to those that jumped in to help out!

-Dave