cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D.O.C.P Question

shogun94
Level 7
I have a new Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) with the latest BIOS and I am running memory from the QVL list.

The memory is 3600C16.

I got the system running stable so I wanted to run the memory at the correct speed of 3600 C16.

I can confirm the MB "slow mode" switch is off.

Maybe I'm missing something but don't all I have to do is select the D.O.C.P. profile and it should run at that speed?

I took a screenshot of the BIOS and it shoes the the D.O.C.P. profile selected and I do a save and reboot and it always shows 2133MHz.

CPU-z shoes the DRAM speed of ~1800MHz C16 so is that confirming the memory is running 3600 C16?

Thanks,
DB
12 REPLIES 12

AS185
Level 10
If you select the D.O.C.P profile, it should overclock the ram modules to that speed. This works when the system is properly configured. The BIOS and CPUID will display both correct settings. From my observation, I don't know how are you getting close 4500 rpm's on the processor fan. It seems that it's going to fly away into space.

RedSector73
Level 12
shogun94 wrote:
CPU-z shoes the DRAM speed of ~1800MHz C16 so is that confirming the memory is running 3600 C16?

Correct, 1800Mhz (memory controller speed or if you like the I/O bus clock speed) = 3600 DDR speed. Your memory is running @ 3600 speed. You may find this useful https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR4_SDRAM

If you want perfectly rounded numbers in the BIOS find FSB spread spectrum and change from AUTO to OFF. Which will give a neat 100.0Mhz instead 99.98 or something.

You can also use something like HWinfo or Aida64 to check speeds.

Hwinfo (free) https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
Aida64 (free trail) https://www.aida64.com/downloads

AS185, the CPU fan is connected to a AIO water cooler, I don't know what to expect for RPM.

RedSector73, thanks for the info/links. Should the BIOS report a speed or 3600/1800, what does the 2133 mean from the BIOS?

Thanks,
DB

shogun94 wrote:
AS185, the CPU fan is connected to a AIO water cooler, I don't know what to expect for RPM.

RedSector73, thanks for the info/links. Should the BIOS report a speed or 3600/1800, what does the 2133 mean from the BIOS?

Thanks,
DB

The UEFI will always report the effective memory frequency, should be clear if you've digested the links provided by Red Sector
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

The wiki talked about DDR4, history and what changed. The other two links were to software so though I did look at the information but I didn't see anything that talked about the UEFI and what it displays on the memory speeds.

Both of the software will correctly report the speed of the RAM

Go advanced in the BIOS then select it like this

I actually never run my BIOS in standard screen only in advanced so I don't know the answer sorry.

AS185, the cooler is a Corsair H115i RGB Platinum. The fan connection only has 1 wire going to the connector but it does go to the right pin on the fan header. I find that off that there isn't a 2nd wire for the ground but they must figure it's all one common ground in the PC.
Thanks,
DB

The kit you obtained should have a SATA power plug, CPU_FAN 3-pin connector, and two 4-pin fan connectors. You should also have RGB cables hanging and CORSAIR iCUE USB cable.
Did you connect all of those or at least the most important ones (SATA, cpu_fan, and 4-pin connectors)? For the majority of AIO's on the market the maximum RPMs are 2000.

I really appreciate the help on this.

Here is what I just did.

I booted up the PC into windoze and ran the Corsair software, I can confirm have complete control over the LED colors and I can control the fan speed and the readings I get in the software are around 450 RPM and up and the RPM increase when I turn the fan speed up. The software I am using I assume is all going through USB via the USB cable from the cooler block to a USB connector on the Motherboard. This tells me that all the fans and LED lights are hooked up OK. I can confirm the SATA power is also connected to the cooler and everything is running.

What I suspect is the problem is the cable from the Corsair cooler block has a cable that comes out with all but 1 wires going to the SATA power connector and the last wire is split off to a fan connector that goes to the motherboard. This fan connector does not have a ground, only the fan RPM pin (again 1 wire). I'm really surprised there is no ground on this connector from the cooler to the motherboard fan header. Maybe I should call Corsair tomorrow and ask them.

I think everything is working OK except the fan RPM signal that goes from the cooler to the motherboard and this is what the BIOS uses to report the fan speed (in the BIOS).

What do you think?

Thanks
DB