CPU CoolerThermaltake Ultimate 3.0
    CaseMeshify S2
    Power SupplySeasonic Titanium TX850
    Keyboard Razer Huntsman
    Mouse Razer Viper 8K
    Mouse Pad RAZER Firefly V2
    OS 21H1

Quote Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
    Looks like this thread is dead. Everyone is on Z590 + 11900K I guess.
    wrong
    z590 + 10900K
    =))

I was bored before, well, now not anymore =))
    Apex XIII is the worst board ever had, although everything was smooth on Apex XII, now it loops from time to time, or stays frozen when restarting, don't know if is due to faulty design or ****ty bios, there are lots of issues there...

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by kvarq View Post
    wrong
    z590 + 10900K
    =))

I was bored before, well, now not anymore =))
    Apex XIII is the worst board ever had, although everything was smooth on Apex XII, now it loops from time to time, or stays frozen when restarting, don't know if is due to faulty design or ****ty bios, there are lots of issues there...
    Similar experience for me. My z490 was better than z590. Putting all the same components in z590 Apex and clocks less on mem. Slot A clocks 266mhz less. I don't have any freezing issues. Just reading others online with z590 Apex there seems to be a bigger variance than before. Some can run 3866-4000+ in gear one some like me are limited to 3733 because slot 1 is so much worse than slot 2 which can do 4000-4133.

z590 Apex Gear 2 is same story. Slot 1 limited to 4800 slot 2 can do 5066. Z490 Apex does 5066+ with same CPU and mem.

When actually working z590 Apex is good just for $600 there should not be these kind of issues.
    Last edited by bscool; 05-24-2021 at 08:57 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array martine-dee PC Specs
    martine-dee PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus XII Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-10900K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-4000C15Q-32GTZR @ 3600 MHz CL14
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 OC Edition
    Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster AE-9
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
    Storage #2WD Red HDD 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H115i RGB Platinum
    CaseTT View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7, Red
    Mouse Razer Viper 8k @ 3200 dpi
    Headset Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
    Mouse Pad Logitech G440
    Headset/Speakers Creative Inspire T6300
    OS Win 10 Pro 64bit 2004
    Accessory #1 Logitech Streamcam Webcam
    Accessory #2 Rode NT1-A Mic
    Accessory #3 Just about 12+ fans from TT and Noctua

Ah, I see that they finally gave Z490 a forum. If together with Z590. Nice.

A question; I was looking at my options in case that my i9-10900K dies. I can't get it again, but I could get an i9-11900k.

Does someone here run an i9-11900K (Rocket Lake) with an M12E? Are there any issues?
    Last edited by martine-dee; 05-31-2021 at 02:23 PM.
    A Quaker here

ROG Enthusiast Array kvarq PC Specs
    kvarq PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Apex XIII
    Processor10900K
    Memory (part number)F4-4000C16D-32GTZRA
    Graphics Card #13090 K|NGP|N
    Sound CardSound Blaster Z
    MonitorPG279Q
    Storage #1980 Pro 2TB
    CaseMeshify S2
    Keyboard Razer Huntsman
    Mouse Razer Viper 8K
    OS 21H1

stay away
    especially if you're a gamer
    keep your stuff, skip this round

I should have kept Z490 + 10th, did the mistake to jump to Z590, there are still lots of problems with 11th on Z490 and Z590 as well...

martine-dee PC Specs
    Storage #2WD Red HDD 1TB
    Mouse Pad Logitech G440
    OS Win 10 Pro 64bit 2004

stay away
    especially if you're a gamer
    keep your stuff, skip this round

I should have kept Z490 + 10th, did the mistake to jump to Z590, there are still lots of problems with 11th on Z490 and Z590 as well...
    Yeah, ideally, I will be able to wait out one to two generations, then see who offers better.

Can you mention some specifics; what happened to you?

The numbers of i9-11900K vs. i9-10900K seem promising for stronger single-core performance with i9-11900K. From the games I play, only Quake Champions requires OC'ing. Without other input, I'd have gone for i9-11900K over i9-10900K.

The symptoms you describe with your M13 look a lot like the issues I've had with my other board (x299 e gaming), which was boot-looping before POST, or taking forever to boot up or shut down. After a lot of probing, I think the board got damaged due to an ill-connected power cable - pure fact, that one time, it was snapping on and off, and it felt like psu wanted to jump out of where it's screwed in. That x299 mobo works stable now, and serves well as my home PC, but only on all-stock settings. I suppose that one is on me. Not sure if you could have done something to damage your M13, or did it arrive damaged after someone in-between had some forbidden fun with it.

JayzTwoCents was amazed with Z590+i9-11900K RAM OC'ing, which doesn't go well with i9-10900K, just works with i9-11900K. There I see an opportunity to finally do my 4000 MHz CL15, instead of squeezing down with 3733 MHz CL14, or so. That is as far as it gets with my i9-10900K and Z490.

So, I take it you experienced stability issues? Did you get some games to run? Did the i9-119000K give more fps in games like Rainbow Six Siege or CO:GO? Those are proxies for how good things would fare with Quake Champions.

--

On a completely different note: About Z590, M13E seemed to me like a worse design/layout than my M12E; I forgot exactly why, ... ah yes, starting with the fan headers at the bottom. Those are a bliss now that I keep my graphics card externally, and expose it to a huge volume of airflow. Also, those four fan headers in the upper right corner of M12E are all used. None of that is present on M13E, wtf dahell? The next thing - M12E has the two CPU power connectors next to each other. Aesthetically more acceptable than the two separated for M13E. What has gotten into whomever designed M13E?

A conditional plus of M13E is the horizontal ATX power connector. That should in theory give better aesthetics, but not with my TT View 91... I wouldn't have enough clearance to plug the cable into the board from the closest hole, and would either need to modify the case, or to show more of the thick wire. So, in the end, not even the horizontal plug would be a plus for me.

M13E has a MUCH better placement of the PCIEX4 than M12E... with M12E, I depend on the vertical/external graphics card mount in order to use the PCIEX4 for my AE-9. With M13E, that would be not a worry, but it's definitely not worth it. I am so much more fond of the M12E design than the M13E design.

Do you hear that, Asus? M12E has so! much! better! layout! than! M13E! Why did you change it? Why...
    Last edited by martine-dee; 06-01-2021 at 07:12 PM.
    A Quaker here

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by martine-dee View Post
    Yeah, ideally, I will be able to wait out one to two generations, then see who offers better.

The numbers of i9-11900K vs. i9-10900K seem promising for stronger single-core performance with i9-11900K. From the games I play, only Quake Champions requires OC'ing. Without other input, I'd have gone for i9-11900K over i9-10900K.

The symptoms you describe with your M13 look a lot like the issues I've had with my other board (x299 e gaming), which was boot-looping before POST, or taking forever to boot up or shut down. After a lot of probing, I think the board got damaged due to an ill-connected power cable - pure fact, that one time, it was snapping on and off, and it felt like psu wanted to jump out of where it's screwed in. That x299 mobo works stable now, and serves well as my home PC, but only on all-stock settings. I suppose that one is on me. Not sure if you could have done something to damage your M13, or did it arrive damaged after someone in-between had some forbidden fun with it.

JayzTwoCents was amazed with Z590+i9-11900K RAM OC'ing, which doesn't go well with i9-10900K, just works with i9-11900K. There I see an opportunity to finally do my 4000 MHz CL15, instead of squeezing down with 3733 MHz CL14, or so. That is as far as it gets with my i9-10900K and Z490.

So, I take it you experienced stability issues? Did you get some games to run? Did the i9-119000K give more fps in games like Rainbow Six Siege or CO:GO? Those are proxies for how good things would fare with Quake Champions.

--

On a completely different note: About Z590, M13E seemed to me like a worse design/layout than my M12E; I forgot exactly why, ... ah yes, starting with the fan headers at the bottom. Those are a bliss now that I keep my graphics card externally, and expose it to a huge volume of airflow. Also, those four fan headers in the upper right corner of M12E are all used. None of that is present on M13E, wtf dahell? The next thing - M12E has the two CPU power connectors next to each other. Aesthetically more acceptable than the two separated for M13E. What has gotten into whomever designed M13E?

A conditional plus of M13E is the horizontal ATX power connector. That should in theory give better aesthetics, but not with my TT View 91... I wouldn't have enough clearance to plug the cable into the board from the closest hole, and would either need to modify the case, or to show more of the thick wire. So, in the end, not even the horizontal plug would be a plus for me.

M13E has a MUCH better placement of the PCIEX4 than M12E... with M12E, I depend on the vertical/external graphics card mount in order to use the PCIEX4 for my AE-9. With M13E, that would be not a worry, but it's definitely not worth it. I am so much more fond of the M12E design than the M13E design.

Do you hear that, Asus? M12E has so! much! better! layout! than! M13E! Why did you change it? Why...
    The placement of the PCIE X4 is bitter sweet.
    Its placement allows heatsink backplate mods for video cards easily, which is great. But the first fan is almost blocked by the PCIE sound card on a RTX 3090 FE, which is a 3 slot card. There's very little room between the card and the soundcard to the left of it (I'm talking about a half an inch here).

ROG Enthusiast Array kvarq PC Specs
    kvarq PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Apex XIII
    Processor10900K
    Memory (part number)F4-4000C16D-32GTZRA
    Graphics Card #13090 K|NGP|N
    Sound CardSound Blaster Z
    MonitorPG279Q
    Storage #1980 Pro 2TB
    CaseMeshify S2
    Keyboard Razer Huntsman
    Mouse Razer Viper 8K
    OS 21H1

Quote Originally Posted by martine-dee View Post

--

Yeah, I thought that there is something wrong with my mobo (indeed seems that I received a refurbished one), I even swapped power supply and cables, but some other users encounter similar issues.
    It's going to be settled down eventually with updated bios versions.

I know exactly how it's like - ideally would be to wait a generation or two, but this "niche addiction" makes us to try every sh*t they get out, so if you already started to have an idea changing it, it's just a matter on "when" you're gonna try a new mobo or processor )

Yeah, some stuff is unquestionably better on 11900K, OC'ing, synthetic tests and so on, on the other hand gaming is still better on 10900K (smoother, more FPS consistent etc), so if you're gonna "upgrade" to 11900K probably you should go full with a Z590, but be prepared not to have everything plug-and-play, probably need to be patient a little longer till they fix bios-es here and there, and not at last, higher temperatures.

For the 4000C15 could be a hit & miss there. Saw your struggling having those running on XMP, probably it is the processor being too weak or even the mobo.

Regarding the layout... no comments, some things are getting worse most of the times, also is weird that M13E has completely different layouts for the regular board and the W/C version, they seem to be different boards at the first look.

By the way - I see that you have the Razer Viper 8K, you're using it on M12 with the full polling 8K rate?
    Did not have any problems on Apex XII with that one, on Apex XIII sometimes I have to re-plug it and had to lower it at 1000Hz not to have stutter in games (yes, firmware is updated), although Z590 is advertised to be optimized for the high polling rate stuff...

To be honest, having a Z590 now seems like an AMD experience right now =))

martine-dee PC Specs
    Storage #2WD Red HDD 1TB
    Mouse Pad Logitech G440
    OS Win 10 Pro 64bit 2004

By the way - I see that you have the Razer Viper 8K, you're using it on M12 with the full polling 8K rate?
    Did not have any problems on Apex XII with that one, on Apex XIII sometimes I have to re-plug it and had to lower it at 1000Hz not to have stutter in games (yes, firmware is updated), although Z590 is advertised to be optimized for the high polling rate stuff...
    About Razer Viper 8k, I started experiencing the need to re-plug it to work on a start-up, after a windows update; I checked up their site, and they had immediately a firmware update that promised to fix it. And it did. It's good that I usually hold-off on any updates until those 5-6 weeks' time passes.

The issues I notice are:
    * Some games can't handle fast movements at the 8k polling rate; not sure if the stutter is the word, it's more like a huge fps drop; E.g. Apex Legends really suffers from it. I suspect their panda anticheat can't handle the 8k. Other games, like Quake Champions, CoD: MW/WZ and Cyberpunk 2077 don't have any issues like that.
    * Recently, at some times, the mouse pointer starts to dance (fast erratic movement) until repositioned. It spoils my stream, but generally, I can survive in multiplayer Quake. I am not sure if that is a mouse/mousepad damage or another firmware issue.

About the CPU, I only would get a new one if the current CPU dies. Unfortunately, I can't find an i9-10900K anymore with my fave retailer (Asus partner in the NL). Some retaliers price it ridiculously, even more than i9-11900K, but I see it come and go at the ca. 500 euros, which is about the MSRP.
    Last edited by martine-dee; 06-02-2021 at 02:51 PM.
    A Quaker here

ROG Guru: White Belt Array morph. PC Specs
    morph. PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MacBook Pro 13" i5, Surface Pro X
    MotherboardROG Maximus XII Formula
    Processori9-11900K SP85 @5.4-5.2Ghz
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL F4-4000C14D-32GTES (2x16) @3866MHz 14-14-14-28
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix RTX3090oc
    MonitorROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe
    CPU CoolerEK Quantum Velocity Nickel Plexi 2x PE360 and 1x SE360 Radiator
    CaseLian Li PC-O11DXL-W
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1000
    Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
    Mouse Glorious Model O Wireless
    Headset SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad ROG Sheath BLK LTD
    OS Windows 11 Pro
    Network RouterBillion BiPAC 8800AXL
    Accessory #1 EK Quantum Vector Strix Waterblock w/ Active Backplate
    Accessory #2 EK Quantum Reflection D5 Distroplate
    Accessory #3 EK Quantum Momentum VRM Bridge

I rate the 11900k its been rock solid and much more stable than my 10850k experience especially with specific games that 10th gen struggled with from a stability standpoint.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unknown.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	305.0 KB 
ID:	88884

Read this if you want to know a bit more: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...s-have-Changed
    Last edited by morph.; 06-02-2021 at 03:27 PM.

martine-dee PC Specs
    Storage #2WD Red HDD 1TB
    Mouse Pad Logitech G440
    OS Win 10 Pro 64bit 2004

Hey morph., so are you running Z490 and the 11th gen Intel? Then you are giving me hope!

Are you still keeping the RAM at 3733 MHz CL14? That is the highest point I found for my setup (M12E + i9-10900K + F4-4000C15Q-32GTZR).
    Last edited by martine-dee; 06-02-2021 at 05:23 PM.
    A Quaker here

Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast