Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Z490 stuff

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by corneliusV1999 View Post
    Hi!
    I was wondering if any of you guys at ASUS are aware of the issues many people are having with the Z490i Strix. Let me link you to many threads:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comme...490_board_lga/
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...d=1#post807961
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...mment-13737947
    https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comme...ailed_xtu_cpu/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comme...q8a/?context=3
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...964#post807964

Please advise us on what to do! Can a BIOS update fix the problem of instability with dual channel memory?
    if 0703 doesnt help , try this:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9yx6ayjn9..._test.rar?dl=0

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Big THX Peter
    I hope i can ask you in further Time for Z490 E Gaming Updates
    God bless you
    Regards

New ROGer Array

Hi all, I've had an issue for the past few weeks where my system will, with no overclocked settings applied to the CPU, GPU or RAM, wake itself up from sleep, sometimes causing a graphics driver freeze and hard system reboot when this occurs.

Specs: 10900K, Maximus XII Extreme (I'm using the bundled Thunderbolt 3 card), 2080 Ti Strix, 4x16GB B-Die 3200MHz C14, Samsung 970 Evo SSD, Windows 10 (I've tried a number of recent builds). My entire system is identical to before I upgraded from a Z370 Apex and 8700K, aside from the clean windows install and running 4 DIMMs instead of 2 (although no combination of DIMMs on different slots, even booting with one stick at a time, was any help).

This issue happens more frequently when I enable PCIE power saving options in the BIOS. I also experience occasional hard freezes and crashes during both web browsing and gaming within windows; the GPU fan will often get very loud briefly right as the computer crashes and restarts. The issues happen with my 2080 Ti, 1050 Ti and RX 580 GPUs, all of which are known good and working properly in other systems. Note that I am using the included ASUS Thunderbolt 3 adapter that comes with the motherboard, but disconnecting it did not seem to help. I have also tested with an i7-10700 CPU and experienced the same results.

I've tried at 100% stock settings across all components and even multiple installations of Windows. The issues do not seem to be impacted by overclocking, and neither the powercfg -lastwake command nor event viewer know what is causing the wakes specifically.

Some more details to add: if I disable PCIE native power management (as well as ASPM, clock gating, etc.) the system is much more likely to stay asleep, but will still wake up sometimes, and powercfg can’t find the source of the wakes. Leaving the power management settings ON and my Thunderbolt 3 card IN, powercfg -lastwake shows that a device on its root port is causing the wakes.

With power management settings ON but NO Tb3 card is installed, then powercfg can’t find the source of the wakes.

Curious to hear if anyone shares this experience or has any suggestions? I have taken further troubleshooting steps not outlined here. Not*sure if this is a defect of my board or an issue that affects all of this model, but I've tried every BIOS version posted here to no avail. ASUS support suggested that I clear the CMOS, and that had no effect. Thanks in advance all!!
    Last edited by SolarTrans; 06-25-2020 at 06:02 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by SolarTrans View Post
    Hi all, I've had an issue for the past few weeks where my system will, with no overclocked settings applied to the CPU, GPU or RAM, wake itself up from sleep, sometimes causing a graphics driver freeze and hard system reboot when this occurs.

Specs: 10900K, Maximus XII Extreme (I'm using the bundled Thunderbolt 3 card), 2080 Ti Strix, 4x16GB B-Die 3200MHz C14, Samsung 970 Evo SSD, Windows 10 (I've tried a number of recent builds). My entire system is identical to before I upgraded from a Z370 Apex and 8700K, aside from the clean windows install and running 4 DIMMs instead of 2 (although no combination of DIMMs on different slots, even booting with one stick at a time, was any help).

This issue happens more frequently when I enable PCIE power saving options in the BIOS. I also experience occasional hard freezes and crashes during both web browsing and gaming within windows; the GPU fan will often get very loud briefly right as the computer crashes and restarts. The issues happen with my 2080 Ti, 1050 Ti and RX 580 GPUs, all of which are known good and working properly in other systems. Note that I am using the included ASUS Thunderbolt 3 adapter that comes with the motherboard, but disconnecting it did not seem to help. I have also tested with an i7-10700 CPU and experienced the same results.

I've tried at 100% stock settings across all components and even multiple installations of Windows. The issues do not seem to be impacted by overclocking, and neither the powercfg -lastwake command nor event viewer know what is causing the wakes specifically.

Some more details to add: if I disable PCIE native power management (as well as ASPM, clock gating, etc.) the system is much more likely to stay asleep, but will still wake up sometimes, and powercfg can’t find the source of the wakes. Leaving the power management settings ON and my Thunderbolt 3 card IN, powercfg -lastwake shows that a device on its root port is causing the wakes.

With power management settings ON but NO Tb3 card is installed, then powercfg can’t find the source of the wakes.

Curious to hear if anyone shares this experience or has any suggestions? I have taken further troubleshooting steps not outlined here. Not*sure if this is a defect of my board or an issue that affects all of this model, but I've tried every BIOS version posted here to no avail. ASUS support suggested that I clear the CMOS, and that had no effect. Thanks in advance all!!
    What power supply do you have and how old is it?
    Before RMA'ing the board, can you try a different power supply?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
    What power supply do you have and how old is it?
    Before RMA'ing the board, can you try a different power supply?
    I have a Seasonic SSR-1000TD 1000W titanium, which I believe came out in Jan 2019 so it's not very old. I could buy another PSU to test, but how plausible is it that I could begin to have these issues after changing motherboard+CPU? I'm not drawing much more power, especially on idle, and I have the same number of cables connected to the power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarTrans View Post
    I have a Seasonic SSR-1000TD 1000W titanium, which I believe came out in Jan 2019 so it's not very old. I could buy another PSU to test, but how plausible is it that I could begin to have these issues after changing motherboard+CPU? I'm not drawing much more power, especially on idle, and I have the same number of cables connected to the power supply.
    Should be okay. You said clean windows install, did you install windows on a fresh drive or did you install windows on top of an older installation to keep your files and apps?

Did you try disabling c-states, speedshift, EIST(speedstep) and MonitorMwait, all power saving, and see if you still have issues with random crashes/idle, etc?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
    Should be okay. You said clean windows install, did you install windows on a fresh drive or did you install windows on top of an older installation to keep your files and apps?

Did you try disabling c-states, speedshift, EIST(speedstep) and MonitorMwait, all power saving, and see if you still have issues with random crashes/idle, etc?
    I completely formatted the drive and installed fresh from bootable media. I also just tried disabling all of those power saving options in addition to the PCIE ones to no avail :/

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by criskoe View Post
    yup me too. if you try Firefox it will work which makes this the strangest thing. I tried everything to fix it and no fix. Few people in other forum tested chrome for me and theirs works fine so I think maybe we got bad intel NICs. Not sure though as this is very strange. Im trying to get a replacement board. Thats all there is left to try. *Let me know if you fix it please. I will too.*
    Ok well Im at a loss of words.

I got the new replacement board this morning and swapped it out. Install went real smooth and quick. Left everything stock. Did not apply OC. Left stock shipped bios.. Installed fresh windows. Installed drivers only supplied on the usb stick.

And well my chrome speedtest with the intel I225-v is still wonky. Throttles randomly between 200-300 mbps. LOL. LMAO. And the Aquantia 10gb tests fine 650 mbps.

What a waste of time man.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by MoKiChU View Post
    Hi,

If you already has updated your Intel Ethernet I225-V controller firmware/drivers with respectively the v1.45 firmware & v1.0.1.4 WHQL drivers from the support page of your motherboard (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...N10_64-bit.zip), try the latest 1.0.1.7 WHQL drivers from this thread :

Hey MoKiChU!

Yeah unfortunately i had already tried the 1.0.1.7 Driver on your thread on the board that I had just pulled out. It was the same thing. Didnt change anything.

Ive tried everything including.

1.Uninstalled Intel NIC and reinstall drivers multiple times. All Versions 1.0.0.13, 1.0.1.4 and 1.0.1.7
    Im positive I followed the instruction properly to update firmware but to be safe I tried to update firmware again. Same.

2.Tested using different Cables confirmed seated properly and lights active

3.Hard reset and updated router RT-AC86U to most recent firmware. Same Result

4.Removed aftermarket router and unbridged my ISP modem and tried running directly to it. Same result..

5.Installed fresh spare SSD with a fresh install of windows 10 pro with drivers ONLY and same result. Tried windows version 1903 and 2004.

6. Tried manual setting of duplex link speed to 1gb. Also tried multiple different NIC advanced settings. No Difference made.

7. And now Ive tried a completely new motherboard. Stock with all settings stock. Stock bios. And stock drivers off the included usb stick. Its the same.

When running speedtest.net in chrome or explorer or speedtest windows app my DL speed gets throttled between 200-300 mbps. Firefox seems to report 650 with the intel nic tho which makes this so strange. If I switch to the aquantia 10gb the speed tests behave normally and give me 650 on every test no matter what browser or app. Same as every other PC ive tested on my network including a busted ass old 10 year old HP laptop and a mac pro. they all test 650ish all browsers all apps.

I dunno man. I feel like Ive tried everything. Asus told me it was most likely a faulty network card so I bought another xii extreme and its doing the same thing. I cant imagine ive received back to back bad boards.

Quote Originally Posted by criskoe View Post
    Hey MoKiChU!

Yeah unfortunately i had already tried the 1.0.1.7 Driver on your thread on the board that I had just pulled out. It was the same thing. Didnt change anything.

Ive tried everything including.

1.Uninstalled Intel NIC and reinstall drivers multiple times. All Versions 1.0.0.13, 1.0.1.4 and 1.0.1.7
    Im positive I followed the instruction properly to update firmware but to be safe I tried to update firmware again. Same.

2.Tested using different Cables confirmed seated properly and lights active

3.Hard reset and updated router RT-AC86U to most recent firmware. Same Result

4.Removed aftermarket router and unbridged my ISP modem and tried running directly to it. Same result..

5.Installed fresh spare SSD with a fresh install of windows 10 pro with drivers ONLY and same result. Tried windows version 1903 and 2004.

6. Tried manual setting of duplex link speed to 1gb. Also tried multiple different NIC advanced settings. No Difference made.

7. And now Ive tried a completely new motherboard. Stock with all settings stock. Stock bios. And stock drivers off the included usb stick. Its the same.

When running speedtest.net in chrome or explorer or speedtest windows app my DL speed gets throttled between 200-300 mbps. Firefox seems to report 650 with the intel nic tho which makes this so strange. If I switch to the aquantia 10gb the speed tests behave normally and give me 650 on every test no matter what browser or app. Same as every other PC ive tested on my network including a busted ass old 10 year old HP laptop and a mac pro. they all test 650ish all browsers all apps.

I dunno man. I feel like Ive tried everything. Asus told me it was most likely a faulty network card so I bought another xii extreme and its doing the same thing. I cant imagine ive received back to back bad boards.
    You already know it's not a bad board. You knew this before, it was obvious, but you didn't want to accept that possibility. Everyone saw it's an issue with the Intel nic, either drivers or firmware. A bad board doesn't make you get full speed with a plugin and not full speed through a browser connecting to the same host, then full speed to another connection point. I've seen similar stuff with Killer wifi cards vs Intel wifi cards in the past. Welcome to networking. Where no one can get it right.

You were probably afraid of a bad firmware flash but the flash was successful. This stuff either works or it doesn't work. The flash worked 100%.

Didn't you see the issues with the Aquantia drivers still on the Asus site (and not the most current ones Mokichu released here, which are also on Marvell's site? I think the (edit) 2.1.18.0 drivers or whatever (I forgot already). Try playing Overwatch with the original released Aquantia drivers and see what happens. You won't even be able to connect. Then try it with even "V1" stepping of the Intel i225-v---zero problems. Zero. Does that also mean the motherboard is bad? No, of course not. Updating to the newest Aquantia marvell drivers--Overwatch works 100% perfectly...(2.1.21.0 or newer)

You're smarter than this, Criskoe. Don't try to kill a fly with a sledgehammer....

You did splendid and meticulous testing. But you followed up wrong. The correct thing to do was to contact Intel's level 2 networking team and to submit your findings to them so they could determine if it's a driver or firmware bug. These boards all use the same firmware (as far as I know, besides company specific device ID's) so Intel would be able to contact you if they determined the source of the issue. (Now actually getting a non-canned reply from Intel and getting them to admit responsibility---that's a whole other ball game). Asus had nothing to do with this since they didn't make the networking chip. Nor the "base code" drivers for it.
    Last edited by Falkentyne; 06-27-2020 at 07:06 PM.

Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast