Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Z490 stuff

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by GanjaHouse View Post
    With Intal Lan Have same problem I use chrome
    @GanjaHouse

Dont bother RMA or buy another board. Same problem still exists for me with a new board. Dont waste your time.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
    You already know it's not a bad board. You knew this before, it was obvious, but you didn't want to accept that possibility. Everyone saw it's an issue with the Intel nic, either drivers or firmware. A bad board doesn't make you get full speed with a plugin and not full speed through a browser connecting to the same host, then full speed to another connection point. I've seen similar stuff with Killer wifi cards vs Intel wifi cards in the past. Welcome to networking. Where no one can get it right.

You were probably afraid of a bad firmware flash but the flash was successful. This stuff either works or it doesn't work. The flash worked 100%.

Didn't you see the issues with the Aquantia drivers still on the Asus site (and not the most current ones Mokichu released here, which are also on Marvell's site? I think the (edit) 2.1.18.0 drivers or whatever (I forgot already). Try playing Overwatch with the original released Aquantia drivers and see what happens. You won't even be able to connect. Then try it with even "V1" stepping of the Intel i225-v---zero problems. Zero. Does that also mean the motherboard is bad? No, of course not. Updating to the newest Aquantia marvell drivers--Overwatch works 100% perfectly...(2.1.21.0 or newer)

You're smarter than this, Criskoe. Don't try to kill a fly with a sledgehammer....

You did splendid and meticulous testing. But you followed up wrong. The correct thing to do was to contact Intel's level 2 networking team and to submit your findings to them so they could determine if it's a driver or firmware bug. These boards all use the same firmware (as far as I know, besides company specific device ID's) so Intel would be able to contact you if they determined the source of the issue. (Now actually getting a non-canned reply from Intel and getting them to admit responsibility---that's a whole other ball game). Asus had nothing to do with this since they didn't make the networking chip. Nor the "base code" drivers for it.
    Yeah your right Falkentyne.. From the beginning I felt this was a driver or firmware issue or some strange bug. And my gut kept telling me it was. I forwarded all the testing i did to the asus help team and they multiple times said it was a faulty network card. Inside I really felt it wasn't but I needed to feed my curiosity to find out if it might be. LOL. And well yeah. LOL. Wasted a bunch of time.

Your correct the stock aquantia drivers are garbage. they give you .1 mbps upload speeds. It throttles upload HARD. And the updated driver corrects it. Asus should remove it from their driver page.

Funny you mentioned other follow ups. I actually last week submitted my findings to intel. I never received a response back tho unfortunately. I probably didnt even send it to the right department as I just did it through their normal channel. But I did try.

At this point Ive just disabled the intel nic and am using the aquantia going forward. The aquantia nic seems fine so not the end of the world. I think the part that had me confused the most is usually the intel nics are good and the additional one they slap on the board are the ones that act wonky. At least with my previous boards. Ill test it out the intel nic every once in a while after a new driver is release and see if it gets fixed one day but I guess if im not using it it doesnt really matter..

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by MoKiChU View Post
    This indicates probably that the controller itself works well and that it is probably a software/middleware issue with a feature of the new I225-V controller, try to open a ticket at Intel & Google Chrome support team by specifying your comparison tests with Firefox.
    I sent off the info to intel. Most likely not to the right department cause I never got a response but Ill try again and find the right path. Never thought about sending the info to google. Good idea. Thanks.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by criskoe View Post
    Yeah your right Falkentyne.. From the beginning I felt this was a driver or firmware issue or some strange bug. And my gut kept telling me it was. I forwarded all the testing i did to the asus help team and they multiple times said it was a faulty network card. Inside I really felt it wasn't but I needed to feed my curiosity to find out if it might be. LOL. And well yeah. LOL. Wasted a bunch of time.

Your correct the stock aquantia drivers are garbage. they give you .1 mbps upload speeds. It throttles upload HARD. And the updated driver corrects it. Asus should remove it from their driver page.

Funny you mentioned other follow ups. I actually last week submitted my findings to intel. I never received a response back tho unfortunately. I probably didnt even send it to the right department as I just did it through their normal channel. But I did try.

At this point Ive just disabled the intel nic and am using the aquantia going forward. The aquantia nic seems fine so not the end of the world. I think the part that had me confused the most is usually the intel nics are good and the additional one they slap on the board are the ones that act wonky. At least with my previous boards. Ill test it out the intel nic every once in a while after a new driver is release and see if it gets fixed one day but I guess if im not using it it doesnt really matter..
    The Aquantia nic was wonky as shipped. The original drivers (21.1.18.0) were garbage.

Remember Shamino is in Taiwan, and their entire team is in Taiwan as far as I know. They have Hinet and I think 1 Gbit internet is standard over there. So it would have been impossible for them to determine a problem going from connecting to Hinet to an overseas internet provider. You have who you're connecting from and who you're connecting to. Perhaps a VPN would help change where you're connecting from, but that's beyond my knowledge. How do you connect to a VPN, for example, if your ISP goes down? You still need to have -service-.

Since Asus couldn't track down the problem, they assumed it was the board. The only way for Asus to reproduce this was to have their USA branches run this test, not their Taiwan branches. If the issue related from the NIC To the source ISP, they would never have been able to determine an issue (of course I don't even know if you're in the USA, if not, then their UK branches...)

That's why you should contact Intel. Intel has far more resources.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
    The Aquantia nic was wonky as shipped. The original drivers (21.1.18.0) were garbage.

Remember Shamino is in Taiwan, and their entire team is in Taiwan as far as I know. They have Hinet and I think 1 Gbit internet is standard over there. So it would have been impossible for them to determine a problem going from connecting to Hinet to an overseas internet provider. You have who you're connecting from and who you're connecting to. Perhaps a VPN would help change where you're connecting from, but that's beyond my knowledge. How do you connect to a VPN, for example, if your ISP goes down? You still need to have -service-.

Since Asus couldn't track down the problem, they assumed it was the board. The only way for Asus to reproduce this was to have their USA branches run this test, not their Taiwan branches. If the issue related from the NIC To the source ISP, they would never have been able to determine an issue (of course I don't even know if you're in the USA, if not, then their UK branches...)

That's why you should contact Intel. Intel has far more resources.

Yup I just submitted a ticket to intel again this time as opposed to just using their normal contact email. Maybe this will get somewhere.

One very interesting thing tho. Is MrTOOSHORT over on the other forum has the exact same ISP and modem/gateway as me and also has the same plan and his Intel I225-V doesnt have this behavior. So I dont think its the ISP. This Is what makes this the most confusing for me. He does have the apex board but it is the same intel NIC.

The only thing that was suggested by a user that I havent tried is pulling both of the m.2 drives from under the plate between the two PCIE slots as its not very easy to access with my custom loop. But I dunno I didnt think that they would some how throttle the intel nic. Cause it doesnt effect the aquantia nic.

I dunno. I guess Ill see if intel has anything to say about it. All I can do at this point. I like the board so its gunna stay either way.

Main reason I posted back here was so that other guy here or anyone else that might see my earlier posts and who is experiencing this doesnt bother waste their time RMAing or replacing the board. I think by the looks of his screen shot hes from a diff part of the world. Im in canada.
    Last edited by criskoe; 06-28-2020 at 12:26 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array denisgcarvalho PC Specs
    denisgcarvalho PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS MAXIMUS XII FORMULA
    Processor10900K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL ROYAL 32GB RAM 4000CL17
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080 SUPER HOF
    CPU CoolerCORSAIR H1150I PRO RGB
    CaseLIAN LI XL
    Power SupplyCORSAIR HX1000i
    Keyboard CORSAIR PLATINUM K95
    Headset CORSAIR VIRTUOSO
    OS WINDOWS 10 20H1

ASUS will not create forum for Z490?

New ROGer Array

Hey Shamino I have a Maximus XII Hero and noticed its the same link for both the Extreme bios and Hero.

Tried installing it and gave me a error, can update with the correct bios version for the Maximus XII Hero.

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by pained View Post
    Hey Shamino I have a Maximus XII Hero and noticed its the same link for both the Extreme bios and Hero.

Tried installing it and gave me a error, can update with the correct bios version for the Maximus XII Hero.
    fixed
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8nilbvucd...-0703.rar?dl=0

New ROGer Array SoLdieR9312 PC Specs
    SoLdieR9312 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XII Formula
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-10900K
    Memory (part number)32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 4000MHz
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix 2080TI OC
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 7.1 - S1220
    MonitorSamsung C34F791
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
    Storage #2Samsung 970 PRO 1TB