MotherboardROG Maximus XII Hero (WiFi)
    Processori9-10900k 5125 MHz AVX0, delid
    Memory (part number)64 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200/CL14 @ 3600 CL14
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix 2070 Super A8G
    Sound CardOn-board
    MonitorEIZO Coloredge CG2730 and Viewsonic QHD displays
    Storage #1WDC SN850 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB
    Storage #21TB 850 x 1 TB 860 EVO RAID0, 6 TB WDC Black, 6TB IronWolf Pro
    CPU CoolerEK-AIO 360 D-RGB w/Phanteks T30 -120 fans, 2 Noctua Chromax case fanss
    CaseFractal Design Meshify 2 dark tint
    Power Supply750W Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium Plus
    Keyboard Glorious GMMK TKL
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Bose QC15
    Mouse Pad Perixx dx-2000
    Headset/Speakers Vanatoo T1, Klipsch R-12SWi Sub
    OS Windows 11 Pro X64
    Network RouterLinksys EA7300
    Accessory #1 Logitech c920e webcam
    Accessory #2 Sabrent DS-SC5B 5-Bay USB-C HDD docking station
    Accessory #3 xrite i1 Display monitor calibration

I am not talking about Asus or other motherboard manufacturers releases, I am talking about firmware posted in these forum or those you can generate through sites like WinRaid. I thought that was obvious. Seriously, what is deserving this magic hyperbole?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

As posted above, if one goes searching on WinRaid or here for firmware updates but has no idea what they are doing, even the Realtek drivers posted here can be dangerous and render the sound unusable.

Those firmware are equally dangerous or safe, regardless of their source, official by ASUS or whatever, or self generated or by Mokichu, etc. What makes them safe or dangerous is one's level of knowledge.
    Last edited by Ataemonus; 01-05-2022 at 12:09 AM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array geneo PC Specs
    geneo PC Specs
    Sound CardOn-board
    CPU CoolerEK-AIO 360 D-RGB w/Phanteks T30 -120 fans, 2 Noctua Chromax case fanss
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Bose QC15
    Mouse Pad Perixx dx-2000
    OS Windows 11 Pro X64

What utter BS. For example, if I install a firmware from Mokichu, which is a simple operation, and I end up with a less stable system, then it is because of my level of knowledge? What a stupid thing to say.

In fact what you say is nonsensical. Equally dangerous or safe regardless of their source when you have yourself said they are passed from person to person so you have no provenance of where they came from. So if I get one of these or build one of these and it is unsafe, it is because of my level of knowledge? Huh? It may be my lack of knowledge - not knowing the source or release notes or anything, because they are not avaialbe - but not my level of knowledge.

This is a waste of my time. I am done here.
    Last edited by geneo; 01-05-2022 at 12:36 AM.

Clearly, you have not the faintest idea what the ME firmware does, how it opperates, and so on.
    Hint : you cannot flash a ME firmware that is not properly build, modified or whatever, do to the checksum, and that's why it does not matter where it comes from.
    Yes, pretty much it's your fault, whatever the outcome. And I very much doubt the outcome, because, according to your very own admission, you cannot verify it.
    First, make a decission, was it less stable or you "lost 10mv in your overlock", which I presume is 10 mV is technical language ?
    Then, if you make such claims, verify them by flashing the old firmware and re-test, replicate your findings. Oh, wait, you do not know how to flash an older version, saying it's impossible, in which case, your level of knowledge and so on, you should have not flashed any firmware as long as everything was running properly.
    And even more obvious, what's to say that even if your conclusion is, in theory, correct, the firmware available through official channels, in this case available on ASUS support page, does not do the exact same ?

geneo PC Specs
    Sound CardOn-board
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Bose QC15
    Mouse Pad Perixx dx-2000
    OS Windows 11 Pro X64

Quote Originally Posted by Ataemonus View Post
    Clearly, you have not the faintest idea what the ME firmware does, how it opperates, and so on.
    Hint : you cannot flash a ME firmware that is not properly build, modified or whatever, do to the checksum, and that's why it does not matter where it comes from.
    Yes, pretty much it's your fault, whatever the outcome. And I very much doubt the outcome, because, according to your very own admission, you cannot verify it.
    First, make a decission, was it less stable or you "lost 10mv in your overlock", which I presume is 10 mV is technical language ?
    Then, if you make such claims, verify them by flashing the old firmware and re-test, replicate your findings. Oh, wait, you do not know how to flash an older version, saying it's impossible, in which case, your level of knowledge and so on, you should have not flashed any firmware as long as everything was running properly.
    And even more obvious, what's to say that even if your conclusion is, in theory, correct, the firmware available through official channels, in this case available on ASUS support page, does not do the exact same ?

Well I said I was done but you want to make a personal attack.

Oh, I think I probably know more than you about how the Intel management engine works.

Sure you can't flash an ME firmware if the checksum isn't correct. That is not the issue. The issue can be with the firmware itself, as it was in my case, duh. And by-the-way I flashed Mokichu's firmware this time (I have built my own for Motherboards for some years from WinRAID).

I don't need to make a decision. Obviously your grasp of the technical is tenuous. I updated the ME firmware and I needed 10+ mv core voltage to be stabled. If you don't understand that then you have no place making any comments in that regard. How in the **** would this be my issue? Your argument again makes no sense. If I can't flash an invalid ME image, then my flashed image must be valid. And yet I have an instability with the same OC settings.

I cannot flash back and verify it because that is simply impossible with ME firmware on Asus motherboards. If you knew anything about this you would know that. Whenever I make an IME update, I run stability tests before and after, and this is what I found.

So tell me, what does IME firmware do etc. and where is it located, and its components and other details? Pray tell. And don;t google it. Educate me.
    Last edited by geneo; 01-05-2022 at 04:50 AM.

You're taking your own lack of knowledge as a personal attack from me, it's weirdly funny.
    As I said several times, on ANY motherboard, the ME can be downgraded if you know how.
    You saying it cannot be done just because you do not know how is, again, quite funny.

PS. You draw conclusions from little info, and claim those conclusions to be gospel, when those conclusions are called into question, you take it personal and start ranting to defend them.
    Although you are basically spreading false information, or missinformation, I have no time to try and explain to you how things should technically be done, in order to draw more accurate conclusions, especially since you seem to always know better, which makes me wonder why do you even ask questions on this forum instead of being the one to teach all.
    Last edited by Ataemonus; 01-05-2022 at 12:13 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array martine-dee PC Specs
    martine-dee PC Specs
    MotherboardTUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-12700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-4000C15Q-32GTZR @ 3733 MHz CL14
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 OC Edition
    Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster AE-9
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
    Storage #2Crucial SSD MX500 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H115i RGB Platinum
    CaseTT View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7, Red
    Mouse Razer Viper 8k @ 3200 dpi
    Headset Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
    Mouse Pad Logitech G440
    Headset/Speakers Creative Inspire T6300
    OS Win 10 Pro 64bit 2004
    Accessory #1 Logitech Streamcam Webcam
    Accessory #2 Rode NT1-A Mic
    Accessory #3 Just about 12+ fans from TT and Noctua

Hi both.

Do you mind taking this whole conversation elsewhere? Something like a new topic.
    I wouldn't like if Asus staff closed this major Z490 thread due to the heat.
    Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating

New ROGer Array

Is it possible to connect Apple Thunderbolt Display 27 to a pc with Prime Z490-A motherboard?

Thanks

ROG Guru: White Belt Array kvarq PC Specs
    kvarq PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Apex XII
    Processor10900K
    Memory (part number)F4-4000C16D-32GTRSA
    Graphics Card #13090 K|NGP|N
    Sound CardSound Blaster Z
    MonitorPG279Q
    Storage #1980 Pro 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Ultimate 3.0
    CaseMeshify S2
    Power SupplySeasonic Titanium TX850
    Keyboard Razer Huntsman
    Mouse Razer Viper 8K
    Mouse Pad RAZER Firefly V2
    OS 21H1

Being a bit bored, I finally gave a try to the "newest" Z490 bios, 2403, which has been released as beta since October 2021, and uploaded as official on Asus's website months later. Typical Asus.

To be honest, I was quite reluctant to perform the update, due to the RocketCrap odyssey - during time, I tried several bios versions available on the official website after 1003, but always went back. I remember that 2004 was good at some point but for some reason they decided to be removed from the website. Last year I had for three damn months Apex XIII, but that one seemed to be FUBAR for 10th and 2x16 above 4000MHz, since Asus technicians did not care about 10th, so in the end I gave up last summer and bought again XII, but had to use 1003 since 2004 has been removed. Apparently the Asus technicians messed things a bit for Z490 paired with 10th as well focusing on the crappy Rocket Lake processors, same issues I had with Apex XIII I had them with Apex XII using a later bios than 1003.

Anyways, 2403 has been advertised that "improves system performance and compatibility, system stability, and DRAM compatibility".
    So, the 2403 update went pretty smooth, w/o the dodgy restarts and infinite loops and so on. It’s been already few days, and so far, so good. Can't feel any relevant difference in performance, but it seems stable at least, since 1003/2004, the 2x16 DDR4 @4000MHz+ using 10th are actually WORKING now, no errors, restarts etc whatsoever, even the GSAT has been running w/o errors overnight, the other versions in between did not last more than 10mins in GSAT, no matter what I did.

The most annoying thing is that the TPM option stays always ON, even if is set off, after restart saving the choice of this feature is purely ignored, the TPM is on again.
    Why this option should be on all the time? Why Asus is forcing this because it seems not to be a glitch.
    EC and Firmware updated.

1003 vs 2403

geneo PC Specs
    Sound CardOn-board
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Bose QC15
    Mouse Pad Perixx dx-2000
    OS Windows 11 Pro X64

I have been running it since October without issue too. TPM is required for Windows 11 so I think it was driven by over-zealous marketing people so they could say it is Windows 11 ready. It doesn't affect performance or anything.

Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 LastLast