cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does this mean ? pls active users give review

svignesh8397
Level 7
I plan on buying a new Asus ROG motherboard and in all the user mannul i find this instruction. Is this a serious instruction ? would i be able to connect, joystick, mouse, vr headmount , printer, phone to the usb 3.1 and 3.1 gen 2 ports? I checked this with ASUS ROG Strix B365-F gaming mobo but later found this message in many mother boards'. is this a permanent issue of is there a bios update or application with which i can use USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports for connecting printer, joystick etc? I dont want my investment to go in vein. i have many usb peripherals that i need to connect parallely and i do need all those p
5 REPLIES 5

svignesh8397
Level 7
USB issue, is there a fix for this?

Rolda
Level 8
Yes.You can connect anything (joystick, mouse, vr headmount, printer, phone) to usb 3.1 and 3.1 gen 2 ports.

Thank u , do i need to update bios or install any software to that? Have u checked it personally ?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
That simply means that on connecting external drives, they can only be used as storage..not boot drives.

Of course, you can connect any other usb device to them

Super_Gnome
Level 11
USB stuff that is older can be used in these ports. It is backwards compatible. But if you want the best performance, buy the newest stuff so that you can take advantage of the speed. That is what it means.

Whether or not devices that require higher speeds can be used in older ports is a whole other story. Newer devices may not work properly in older ports though--you have to check the specs.

That is my take on it, anyhow.

As for what is meant by "USB 3.1 Gen1/Gen 2 can only be used data storage only" ??? The English is poor as you should only use the word "only" once--first off. And USB ports are never for "data storage" only. USB ports can always be used for a variety of things. Hence, it is a puzzle I cannot answer, but see all kinds of that gobbledygook in such manuals with no idea of the meaning. Sometimes you need to translate--kind of like when you read Shakespeare. It is often pointing to something pertinent, but will remain a mystery and/or requires intuition and/or experience.