ROG Enthusiast Array

So Asus had the nerve to update all the M.2 heatsink screws on the top heatsinks ...

But not the one needed to remove the daughter board on the Z490 itx to access the bottom slot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3FCzPha.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	347.0 KB 
ID:	84984

I've now had two Asus boards in a row where I couldn't access the M.2 slots because of this, a Z390 and Z490 both the ITX ones. On the older Motherboards all the top heatsink screws were weak aluminium ones with tiny Phillips cutouts just like this one pictured, and they are sealed down permanently and cannot be removed.

It's not a case of 'locktite glue', on my Z390 I was able to remove the heatsink from the bottom and tried cooking it on my gas hob to melt any glue and even used pliers with a rubber band but still the screws would not budge at all!

I have spent absolutely nothing ages trying to Contact Asus support to tell them this, and all they ever do is say something such as 'We have no contract with you, take it up with the retailer'. I have already tried using a Gigabyte board instead but my same ram that runs at 4000 MHz CL18 on Asus boards won't even boot at 3400 MHz CL16 on Gigabyte, and it was advertised as supporting 4400+ ram so also have to return that!

All I want is an Asus ITX motherboard with whatever it is that Asus do to allow them to overclock like magic, but where I can at least access and use both M.2 slots, why is this too hard for Asus to get right?

I am starting a small court claim against them to get a functional motherboard plus the other costs of my Z490 upgrade compensated as the only reason I had to do it was that I couldn't find a suitable Z390 board anymore and the Asus one was out of stock everywhere and discontinued (this only costs me £35 to do and I don't need any attorney / solicitor or whatever such).

Even before buying a Z490 ITX, I looked at all the photos first and all the top screws on Asus boards have now been updated to stronger reinforced flat head screws, but then they still go and use the same old weak aluminium one for the bottom slot cover and seal it permanently shut!

I sent Asus an email to settle this before needing to go to court - provide me a working Z490 itx motherboard with accessible M.2 slots, and the cost of which is subtracted from my I9 10900K, Cooler and case I needed to fit the cooler plus that much in compensation (£420) and it doesn't go to court.

So far they replied with a hardware survey link.
    Last edited by bhavvv; 05-24-2020 at 08:14 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

The retailer was able to remove the one screw I was having difficulty with but alarmingly there were two more underneath for the bottom M.2 heatsink. While I was fortunately able to remove them both, I found Loctite RED applied to one of them:

https://i.imgur.com/tuZLLEMr.jpg

Loctite red is meant to be used for making permanent unremovable bonds and it also takes hundreds of degrees C to melt, unlike loctite blue which is meant to be openable with hand tools!

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

I can't imagine why loctite red would be needed anywhere in a PC.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Asus made a copyright claim on my photos proving problems with their M.2 screws to have them removed from Imgur!

I've uploaded them again here:

https://imgur.com/a/wqKN4is

I sent them as part of an Email to Asus with a legal letter before taking court action, and then the images got removed by Imgur.

Previous links to the images still work, but the images and links were removed from my Imgur account for both photos I emailed to Asus showing the problem and threatening legal action, including my full recent Z490 build gallery that one of the images was a part of, and the older Z390 image was also removed.