cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games losing audio completely when replugging / plugging in headphones.

MrTDale
Level 7
Hello everyone, I've been using HD Audio Drivers because the Realtek HD Audio just poofed randomly for some reason.

There are some games where the audio disappears if I unplug then replug back in until I restart the game. There is also no audio if I start the game with the headphones unplugged and then plug the headphones in after. Sometimes, when I unplug the headphones some games even crash.

Does anyone know how to fix this? On my Sound Manager there are two devices which is Headphones and Speakers. It switches between these two when I plug / unplug my headphones and I think this is part of the problem, not sure though.

This happens to most games I play except for one game that I play which is Rainbow Six Siege.
7 REPLIES 7

RedSector73
Level 12
System Spec's and OS - OP ?

RedSector73 wrote:
System Spec's and OS - OP ?

ASUS TUF FX 505 DU
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3750H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx, 2300 Mhz
NVIDIA GTI 1660 TI
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 ver. 1809

MrTDale wrote:
ASUS TUF FX 505 DU
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3750H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx, 2300 Mhz
NVIDIA GTI 1660 TI
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 ver. 1809

Hi,

Update your Windows 10 to at least 1903 version, then update your audio drivers with Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG/TUF NB) from my UAD notebooks drivers thread.

Follow scrupulously your INSTALL process with cleanup step, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow the UPDATE process.

Note (in order to choose correctly the install/update process to use) : You have a ASUS TUF DTS Headphone:X v1 notebook.

Hello, I have a few questions before I do this:

1. My Windows Update can only go from 1809 to 1909 for some reason, not 1903. Is it still compatible for that version?
2. How do I turn on or turn off or tamper with DTS Audio? I actually have no idea how this thing works or is it even on to begin with. I have a feeling tampering with this might fix my UAD Realtek Driver's bad sound.
3. Only my Realtek Audio Control and DTS Headphones are in the Programs and Applications, do I just remove the Realtek Driver via Device Manager?
4. Lastly, what effect does this have on my audio?

I've been experiencing a recent problem where my headphones sound bad due to Realtek Audio Drivers but updating them makes it "not" sound bad but now doing that does nothing. I tried downloading a new Realtek Driver but it messes with my microphone. I was wondering if this can fix that and if it is even a recent problem to begin with.

MrTDale wrote:
Hello, I have a few questions before I do this:

1. My Windows Update can only go from 1809 to 1909 for some reason, not 1903. Is it still compatible for that version?

Yes absolutely (I told you at least 1903, so you can update to version 1903, 1909 or 2004)

MrTDale wrote:
2. How do I turn on or turn off or tamper with DTS Audio? I actually have no idea how this thing works or is it even on to begin with. I have a feeling tampering with this might fix my UAD Realtek Driver's bad sound.

DTS Audio Win32/Legacy app (for HDA drivers) = DTS Headphone:X v1 UWP app (for UAD drivers)

The Win32/Legacy apps are not compatible with UAD drivers, so you must uninstall the DTS Audio Win32/Legacy app (which contains DTS Headphone:X v1) if you see it in your Programs.

Once everything is properly installed (at the end of the INSTALL process), you can if you wish to uninstall DTS Headphone:X v1 (which contains DTS Audio), and this will disable the use of DTS APO/Effects.

MrTDale wrote:
3. Only my Realtek Audio Control and DTS Headphones are in the Programs and Applications, do I just remove the Realtek Driver via Device Manager?

In this case uninstall Realtek Audio Control & DTS Headphone:X v1 and continue to scrupulously follow your CLEANUP process then INSTALL process.

MrTDale wrote:
4. Lastly, what effect does this have on my audio?

If you mean what effects does DTS Headphone: X v1 bring, I let you refer to the overwiew page of your notebook.

MrTDale wrote:
I've been experiencing a recent problem where my headphones sound bad due to Realtek Audio Drivers but updating them makes it "not" sound bad but now doing that does nothing. I tried downloading a new Realtek Driver but it messes with my microphone. I was wondering if this can fix that and if it is even a recent problem to begin with.

I cannot tell you in advance what this will correct, but you will have made a clean install of your audio drivers with the drivers for your notebook.
We will see after the clean install if you still have issues, we will deal with them.

Note : If you have issues after done your INSTALL process with cleanup step, retry but this time to prevent Windows Update from generating a drivers install conflict, disable your Internet connection from the start of the CLEANUP process until the end of drivers install of the INSTALL process (after the restart). For the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow the UPDATE process.

Holy ****! I think you just solved my Realtek Problems! Gonna do a little bit of testing but it seems and sounds great so far. Will update.
DTS "effects" also works. The menu that I see now is non-existent on the old version of DTX Headphones, it was just a "welcome page".
By the way, does DTS have any effect on "closeness" of things? One of the things i've noticed so far is that it is much louder. I don't know if this will be a problem for games such as Rainbow Six Siege where sound is really crucial.

Regardless, you're a goddamn savior. Thank you.

MrTDale wrote:
Holy ****! I think you just solved my Realtek Problems! Gonna do a little bit of testing but it seems and sounds great so far. Will update.
DTS "effects" also works. The menu that I see now is non-existent on the old version of DTX Headphones, it was just a "welcome page".
By the way, does DTS have any effect on "closeness" of things? One of the things i've noticed so far is that it is much louder. I don't know if this will be a problem for games such as Rainbow Six Siege where sound is really crucial.

Regardless, you're a goddamn savior. Thank you.

You're welcome 😉

Regarding the use and functionality of DTS Headphone:X v1, you will find the necessary information on this ASUS support page : https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036648/