cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows hangs at loading screen after cold boot...

cswboys
Level 7
Hello All,

After much deliberation and reading through the forum I have decided that I need the help of the pros!

The issue I am having occurs randomly and I cannot be replicated on demand... it seems that every so often when the computer boots (right after i have pressed the power button) the fans turn on and the system idles for roughly 8-10 seconds followed by a single beep, afterward it proceeds to boot showing the Marvell controller and attached drives, then my Intel controller screen with its attached drives, then windows loading screen (windows 7 tiles that float together to make the windows logo), and this is where it stops... by stops I mean it hangs at the "Loading windows" screen with the Windows icon itself not complete and not "pulsing" like it does on a normal start up... just frozen... from here when I press reset, the computer completely powers down... upon pressing the power button it starts up and continues thought the process i mentioned above, albeit without the 8-10 wait, this time giving me the option to "repair windows" (recommended) or start windows normally. If i run the repair console it does not find any errors until the end... as follows... Error Code = 0x490... i then restart and everything runs normal... until the next cold boot or when ever... this problem is not devastating the computer in anyway it is simply an annoyance that i would like to get rid of (especially if I'm doing something stupid!) i appreciate the time and the expertise...

the system is set up as follows:

I72600k (Corsair h100 cooler)
Asus Maximus-IV Extreme-Z (Bios 3203) Note: 3103 seemed to be the most stable
Corsair Vengeance 16GB dual channel kit (4 dimms)
2x MSI Radeon HD6950's
2x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (Raid on the intel 6gbs controller) ( OS installed here)
WD Raptor 320 (single drive on the marvell 6gbs contoller) (storage)
BD-Rom (intel 3gbs sata)
DVD-RW (intel 3gbs sata)
Corsair AX850 PSU

as for the bios configuration:

I have used the same config on all bios versions with the same result... Factory Asus overclock to 4.6, internal pll overvoltage set to disabled and auto (both settings do not affect the problem), Ai overclock tuner set to X.M.P for the memory, disabled logo screen, and that's about it... I'm sorry for the long vague description of the problem but it is literally the only problem I have encountered... also for note... I have formated and installed the OS multiple times with the same issue lurking around... I am running windows 7 professional.

Thanks all
18 REPLIES 18

greg_m
Level 10
You are not alone... Im experiencing - almost - the same problem for the last 3-4 months and i cant found the solution. On the other hand ASUS seems that they cant solve this issue - after 4 bios updates the problem is still here. I think that this board just cant handle more than 8gb (2x4gb)... or we cant use all the 4 dimms if we want a stable system...:mad:

BTW you save me some money because i was about to buy some corsair ram to try and see if the porblem was my g.skills...
Phanteks Enthoo Primo - ASUS Z370 HERO X - I7 8700K - CRUCIAL 16gb PC4-27700 CL16 @ 3466 - Sapphire VEGA 64 - Corsair AX 1200w

greg.m wrote:
. I think that this board just cant handle more than 8gb (2x4gb)... or we cant use all the 4 dimms if we want a stable system...:mad:...

I can asure you , mine take 16 GB without a glitch,

Thank you for all the replies!!! its nice to know that I'm not in this alone... even though I'm sad that it is happening to others... ill try disabling the jmicron as i have not used it yet... the memory came as 4 dimms together (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9) although i have not played around with putting them in different slots, ill try that too... also the BClk is at 100...thank you all again!

Area 66 wrote:
I can asure you , mine take 16 GB without a glitch,

May i ask for your bios settings? What memory are you using? Bios 0210 as i see?

BTW here is your post:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11722-Maximus-5-Gene-Preview-Review-8-Pack-style&p=84398&vi...
Phanteks Enthoo Primo - ASUS Z370 HERO X - I7 8700K - CRUCIAL 16gb PC4-27700 CL16 @ 3466 - Sapphire VEGA 64 - Corsair AX 1200w

Hi guys, I'm having the same problems as the above.

Running with 2 sticks of GSkill 1600 (2x 4gb) everything is fine but when I try with 4 my system locks up and refuses to reboot.

The strange thing is I was able to run all 16gb for about a month with no problems, then all of a sudden while playing BF3 one night the problem started.

I have tried upping the voltage slightly to 1.55 and 1.6v but unfortunately it doesn't help.

I haven't checked my VccIO so I'm assuming it's set to whatever is default. I'm running the memory with XMP enabled, will this adjust VccIO automatically for the profile selected? I was using manual settings before the problems started, not sure if I should stick with these or use XMP and manually change a few settings. :confused:

I'm using the latest bios 3203

Dennis
Level 7
I have exactly the same problem for 5 months.

My RAM is G.Skill (2x4GB PC12800).

Spathi
Level 9
My GENE-Z does this if I install the JMicron eSATA drivers and attach a HDD drive. Instead I uninstalled the JMicron drivers and used MS default IDE/ATA drivers and plugged in the Blu-Ray to the JMicron.

Turn off JMicron in BIOS and see if it helps.

If it is an actual freeze and you think it is memory then you need to make sure VccIO is not too small or too big.
MemVolts 1.5 VccIO 1.05
MemVolts 1.65 VccIO 1.175
MemVolts 1.25 or 1.35 VccIO 0.93 or 0.96

If you bought the memory as two pairs, keep them matched to one color slot per pair... mix them up and you might get in trouble. They only guarantee modules bought in packs of 4, although usually it works with 2 pairs. If they are faster than 1600 then it might be causing problems as well as the signal clarity from the memory is probably borderline, depending on what you have.

Also if you have the wrong type of memory designed for a different chipset it can be optimized differently. For too much VccIO, for example.

Also, if the CPU is OC'ed too much it might be degrading. CPU OC has nothing much to do with memory though. i.e. Once the memory is stable then it should stay that way no matter what the OC. A bus overclock will effect most things though, so make sure the BClk is 100 not 103.

HiVizMan
Level 40
You say you have a factory over-clocked system at 4.6GHz right. Yet you also say you have updated the BIOS. So I am very curious as to how you are applying your over-clock after each BIOS update. Could you please fill me in.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
You say you have a factory over-clocked system at 4.6GHz right. Yet you also say you have updated the BIOS. So I am very curious as to how you are applying your over-clock after each BIOS update. Could you please fill me in.

It seems that after I have updated to a newer bios the settings all go back to factory settings... i am using the "CPU Level up" that is on the main screen of the Etreme tweaker tab... as to the "Factory over clock" terminology i was referring the to "CPU Level Up" feature... sorry for the confusion...