cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is probably an easy yes, no question Just want some clarification

BrathJotol
Level 7
I'm looking to start a new build with ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA and I was wondering how the M.2 works with the SATA slots. My current build has an MSI Z170A GAMING M5 and with every M.2 used you lose a SATA slot. Does the formula work the same? So if i fill all three M.2 slots i will only have 3 more SATA slots right?
13 REPLIES 13

MoKiChU
Level 40
BrathJotol wrote:
I'm looking to start a new build with ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA and I was wondering how the M.2 works with the SATA slots. My current build has an MSI Z170A GAMING M5 and with every M.2 used you lose a SATA slot. Does the formula work the same? So if i fill all three M.2 slots i will only have 3 more SATA slots right?

Hi,

It all depends on whether your M.2 SSDs are M.2 SATA or M.2 NVMe.

I'm planning on using NVMe I didn't realize there would be a difference

MoKiChU
Level 40
If you plan to use 3 M.2 NVMe SSDs, and if you plan to use only one PCIe x16 port (for the graphics card on the PCIEX16_1 port) and do not use your PCIEX1 port, you will be able to use your 3 NVMe SSDs at their maximum speed (x4) by disabling the SATA 5 and SATA 6 ports (SATA6G_56). If you cannot afford to disable the last 2 SATA ports, you must clamp the M.2_2 port at x2 speed and thus you will be able to use the SATA 5 and SATA 6 ports.

Note : Yes, there is a difference if you use an M.2 NVMe SSD or M.2 SATA SSD : If you use the M.2_1 port for an M.2 SATA SSD, the SATA 2 port (SATA6G_2) will be disabled.

So i will have to put the graphics card in the second PCIe slot to use the M.2 at full speed?

BrathJotol wrote:
So i will have to put the graphics card in the second PCIe slot to use the M.2 at full speed?

No, PCIEX16_1 is the first, not the second, reread precisely what I wrote please.

Sorry I think I get that if I use all 3 M.2 slots I will only have the one PCIe slot

MoKiChU
Level 40
Sorry, I can not be more explicit than I have been, here is the information from the manual, maybe this table will allow you to better understand my explanation :

Sorry the technical names for the slots confuses me so if I use all three M.2 slots i lose the third PCIe the little PCIe and 3 SATA slots

BrathJotol wrote:
if I use the third M.2 the third PCIe slot is disabled

Right.