cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU staying locked in turbo (x45), not downclocking when idle

MDG73
Level 7
Hello all,

I am having an issue where the CPU 9700F is not downclocking when idle. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have the balanced power profile selected in windows. Most of the BIOS settings are on auto for CPU. Not sure what is keeping it revved up all the time.85014

Boy do I have a lot to learn. I'm not sure what the (perf #....) is suppose to be but I finally see the actual core speeds right below that shows its downclocking. This whole time I was looking at the wrong things 😛

But why is the voltage staying high? Shouldn't it drop down too?
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Looking at minimum and maximum columns, it looks like the CPU is downclocking and downvolting

However the "current" column shows the CPU maxed out....at the time you took the screenshot...a transitory coincidence? or something running in the background?

Yes, that is what I am talking about. The current remains pegged out at 45x. I don't know what could be running in the background causing this unless its one of the following: Corsair iCUE software, MSI afterburner, Samsung Magician, razor central or razor synapse, intel driver and support assistant. I guess I could disable those one at a time to find the culprit. But I have never had this issue before.

I went looking through the task manager and found that Windows defender smartscreen is using up to 26% of my cpu constantly. This was the cause for the cpu to be constantly pegged out. I stopped the service and then restarted it and everything seems to be working as it should now. Thank you for suggesting that something could be running in the background. That spurred me into checking that out. Thanks!!!!

Well I thought I fixed it. Now its back to a static 45x. Ugh!!!

Ok so if anybody can assist here I would appreciate it. The only way can get my computer to downclock during idle is to use the power saver profile. Then it behaves normally. When viewing HWinfo64 though some of the core effective clock readings and other various readings (VR VCC (SVID), VRM, C state residency readings appear to grey out and come back but still continue to read. 85019

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

Try by disabling ASUS MultiCore Enhancement (setting in Auto by default) in Ai Tweaker tab (Advanced Mode) in your BIOS/UEFI > F10 (Save & Restart).

Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I did try that on a few occasions, but it didn't seem to work. I ended up reinstalling windows and that took care of the issue for the time being. I'm assuming a file got corrupted somewhere along the lines and I just don't have the expertise to investigate it thoroughly.