cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith II Extreme Alpha - SPDIF optical connection issues.

enyceedanny
Level 10
Randomly, my optical connection will drop out and re-connect. Tried different cables. Also noticed that the SPDIF connection on the rear IO isn't too secure (doesn't click in place like my previous motherboards).

Anyone have such issues? I did read about some people have issues with SPDIF on TRX40 boards where they hear buzzing and etc. But for me, sounds come out fine when it's working.
11 REPLIES 11

EviLFazZ
Level 8
Similar issues here and for months, with no real help from Asus. Drivers are the issue and has been since day one of this board, but most that I know who have this (ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha) board, do not use the audio any higher than basic default, so it has not been an issue for them, however the moment your set it anything higher than low quality, it starts breaking in various ways. I have tried for month (during the lockdown) to try and force a workaround, but nothing (various drivers, manual tweaks, unofficial drivers, etc) and nothing seems to really help, except at least Asus's official current ones work and are stable, but only when set to below average quality... so great... nearly a £1000 GBP would below average audio, even though it is sold as being high... lies :mad:

I have also replied to another user/thread that is filled with similar issues: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96465-Rough-scratchy-audio-gt-Amplification-level-FIX-WORK... ...and that's a few years worth their too 😞

Will Asus/Realtek/Microsoft ever bother to fix this long-ongoing issue?! :confused:

enyceedanny
Level 10
I still have a week left on my return.. Guess I'll be exchanging it for a different brand. IS your spdif connector on the motherboard loose as well? Mine doesn't click into place (tried multiple cables). Initially I thought it was due to that, but after taping it securely, it's still happening. It's annoying as all hell. Can't believe ASUS hasn't taken care of this yet considering that this is their flagship board.

It's quite unfortunate, as everything else is mostly acceptable.

My SPDIF audio cuts out on average about every 3 or 4 days. Sometimes multiple times a day. Somtimes if I'm lucky 7 to 10 days. Most of the time a reboot is required to fix it. Sometimes it fixes itself for a while but usualy cuts out again later in the same day.

Its literally the only complaint I have with this board.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

Try with Realtek USB Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG/PRIME MB) from my UAD drivers thread for AMD TRX40. Follow scrupulously your INSTALL process with cleanup step, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow the UPDATE process.

Note (in order to choose correctly the install/update process to use) : You have a ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

Try with Realtek USB Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG/PRIME MB) from my UAD drivers thread for AMD TRX40. Follow scrupulously your INSTALL process with cleanup step, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow the UPDATE process.

Note (in order to choose correctly the install/update process to use) : You have a ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard.

It's still happening but when it cuts off the subwoofer noise isn't as loud. =(

enyceedanny
Level 10
It's been almost 3 months with no fix or acknowledgement at all from Asus. They haven't even updated their BIOS since 06/12. Left a review on microcenter's site on the board a while back, and support rep replied by asking me to contact them directly. Emailed them right away, and no response yet.

Talk about ****ty support on a flagship product. I've lost all faith in Asus sorry to say.

wzhaoca
Level 7
It's Oct 1st and still no update or fix from ASUS. SPDIF signal still ramdomly drops , even on lowest audio settings. Unacceptable on a flagship product.

wzhaoca wrote:
It's Oct 1st and still no update or fix from ASUS. SPDIF signal still ramdomly drops , even on lowest audio settings. Unacceptable on a flagship product.

Totally agreed. I won't recommend any highend from Asus. I also blame on the tech reviewers for not really review it properly.

enyceedanny
Level 10
It's been about a year now with no fix. Dumbfounded.