cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are the various ROG routers for VPN? Thoughts?

Polychrome
Level 8
My current situation is as thus: I have a cheapo linksys at this time. While it usually does the job, for both work and gaming, VPN absolutely dies every time somebody downloads a large file off of steam or whatnot. QoS settings seem to keep overzealous video connections at bay for the most part but no amount of demoting steam seems to fix it. The router's old enough that I seriously doubt Linksys is going to make any further changes to it so I don't think the steam download problems are going away.

Figured I could find some opinions here if nothing else: I'm looking for a router that is good at prioritizing VPN over everything else, for work/gaming/voip. I do see RoG routers show up in "good for vpn" lists often enough. Which one, if any, should I go for?
2 REPLIES 2

max0x7ba
Level 7
I had a problem with my BT HomeHub 5 router that a VPN session (PIA over UDP) with a dozen torrent downloads would cause router reboot. Got GT-AX11000, never had an issue.

More than that, you can configure QoS on it (probably on less expensive models as well) to prioritise certain traffic types, which is what your scenario requires.

See the screenshot below.

Never had any trouble. My main router is RT-AC87U running QoS, NordVPN using AsusWRT-Merlin Firmware.