cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG CH VIII (Non Wifi) RAM problems

slim13
Level 7
Good afternoon,
I keep getting a q code (0d). I've swapped out sticks - can only get A2 to work. Either stick will work in that port. The moment I go A2/B2, I get the 0d code and can't get to bios. I've tried clear cmos, bios flashback - msinfo32 says I'm on the current bios (1302). CPU is a Ryzen 3900x.

I've tried both G-Skill and Corsair (2x16 ddr4 3600) and it's the same. Both sticks will function but again, only out of A2.

I've tried the search function, and a few other forums, but nobody has a consistent fix.
9 REPLIES 9

skellattarr
Level 10
try each stick one at a time in the second slot from CPU if it won't boot from one stick try one stick in each slot may be ram is not good or motherboard has a problem. try clearing the bios too
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case

Derpcrawler
Level 7
slim13 wrote:
Good afternoon,
I keep getting a q code (0d). I've swapped out sticks - can only get A2 to work. Either stick will work in that port. The moment I go A2/B2, I get the 0d code and can't get to bios. I've tried clear cmos, bios flashback - msinfo32 says I'm on the current bios (1302). CPU is a Ryzen 3900x.

I've tried both G-Skill and Corsair (2x16 ddr4 3600) and it's the same. Both sticks will function but again, only out of A2.

I've tried the search function, and a few other forums, but nobody has a consistent fix.

I had exactly same issues where with 4 sticks of RAM would give errors at XMP profile and was very unstable, but worked fine if I only used A2/B2 port. I tried everything, until someone suggested to resit my CPU and don't tighten my AIO too tight. I did that and it somewhat fixed my memory issues. I would suggest this:

1. Clean RAM contacts with 98% alcohol
2. Clean DIMM slots with compressed air to blow out all the dust
3. Remove your cooling system, remove CPU
4. Use compressed air on CPU socket.
5. Resit your CPU.
6. Clean old thermalpase and place new one
7. When mounting cooler, especially AIO, don't overtighten the bolts.

If that doesn't help, just check your CPU and your Mobo. Can be either of them, faulty Mobo or faulty CPU memory controller.

Derpcrawler wrote:
I had exactly same issues where with 4 sticks of RAM would give errors at XMP profile and was very unstable, but worked fine if I only used A2/B2 port. I tried everything, until someone suggested to resit my CPU and don't tighten my AIO too tight. I did that and it somewhat fixed my memory issues. I would suggest this:

1. Clean RAM contacts with 98% alcohol
2. Clean DIMM slots with compressed air to blow out all the dust
3. Remove your cooling system, remove CPU
4. Use compressed air on CPU socket.
5. Resit your CPU.
6. Clean old thermalpase and place new one
7. When mounting cooler, especially AIO, don't overtighten the bolts.

If that doesn't help, just check your CPU and your Mobo. Can be either of them, faulty Mobo or faulty CPU memory controller.

Thanks Derp - I'll give that a try this weekend and report back!

To close out thread, I did exactly what Derp advised and it worked like a champ! Everything is perfect!

slim13 wrote:
To close out thread, I did exactly what Derp advised and it worked like a champ! Everything is perfect!

I think Crosshair 8 Hero flexes too much and personally think it has to do with cooling mount and lack of backplate.

Asus really cheapened out by not including Motherboard backplate. ASRock, MSI and Gigabyte at the same price range (350~400USD) has metal backplates for their X570 motherboards.

Update**
I’m back dealing with q code 0d. It’s at a shop with a dude I trust but asus has been no help. If I can’t get this to run
Stable, I’m probably not even going to waste my time with RMA. *

skellattarr
Level 10
I have no problem with ram if you look before you buy the ram has got to say for AMD there is ram for Intel that will not work on AMD. look for g-skill that is for AMD and you will have no problems
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case

skellattarr wrote:
I have no problem with ram if you look before you buy the ram has got to say for AMD there is ram for Intel that will not work on AMD. look for g-skill that is for AMD and you will have no problems

Nope, that won't be enough. I have the same problems and I'm using AMD sticks (got the code from ASUS QVL) and double checked on G.Skill's website.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme [1905] | Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X | G.Skill F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO | 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 | ROG RYUJIN III 360 ARGB | ROG Thor 1200P | ROG Chakram X | ROG Strix Flare II | ROG Theta 7.1 | ROG Cetra True Wireless | ROG Balteus Qi | ROG Eye S | ROG Aura Terminal | ROG Throne | ROG Spotlight | ROG Strix Arion | Windows 11 Pro

Baio73
Level 8
Had a friend that struggled a lot with similar problems... then it came to be a faulty CPU.
The pc didn't boot with only 1 stick of RAM in certain slots, because the memory controller of the CPU was defective (it was an old Zen1).
Try another CPU, I you have the possibility.

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100