cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on installing upgrading my ROG G752vy with a new M.2 NVMe SSD

hmha83
Level 7
Hi everyone

I'm planning to upgrade the NVMe SSD on my laptop to a bigger capacity, I was thinking of Crucial since they are cost-effective and have positive reviews.
I was planning to go for 500 GB which is suitable for my need, however, I was a bit concerned about the compatibility. I checked Crucial website and it indicated that I need to go for 1TB (CT1000P1SSD8) or 2TB (CT2000P1SSD8) which will be out of my budget (they have a web tool to check the compatibility).

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/rog-g752vy

My question is that, is there really a compatibility issue when using NVMe SSDs especially with our G series???
Why other manufacturers do not have such compatibility tools?? Don't they have such compatibility issues??
Did anyone tried Crucial SSDs on his/her laptop ?? And is there any recommendation for another SSD
Is there any place to check the compatibility other than calling Asus as this will take a lot of time?

Regards
2 REPLIES 2

Blake1
Level 10
Hello hmha83,
For your model, we have tested PCIe3x4 NVMe SSD on it.
It worked fine with Samsung 512GB ones.
Above information for your reference.
Thank you.

Clintlgm
Level 14
hmha83 wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm planning to upgrade the NVMe SSD on my laptop to a bigger capacity, I was thinking of Crucial since they are cost-effective and have positive reviews.
I was planning to go for 500 GB which is suitable for my need, however, I was a bit concerned about the compatibility. I checked Crucial website and it indicated that I need to go for 1TB (CT1000P1SSD8) or 2TB (CT2000P1SSD8) which will be out of my budget (they have a web tool to check the compatibility).

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/rog-g752vy

My question is that, is there really a compatibility issue when using NVMe SSDs especially with our G series???
Why other manufacturers do not have such compatibility tools?? Don't they have such compatibility issues??
Did anyone tried Crucial SSDs on his/her laptop ?? And is there any recommendation for another SSD
Is there any place to check the compatibility other than calling Asus as this will take a lot of time?

Regards

I'm not sure about Crucial SSD, I know that All the M.2 NVME SSD from Samsung work well. I also don't thing there is any reason that Crucial SSD will not work as well as WD or any others. I suggest you purchase from a retailer that has a return policy just in case. You really shouldn't have any issue as long as you Clone your old SSD to your New SSD. Macrium Reflect Free works very well for this. How to clone using in your case you have 2 m.s Ports so just install the new one alongside your old one and follow the directions. Let me add once the clone is complete SHUT DOWN your computer don't let it restart. When you do restart spam the Esc key to get the one time boot menu, from there select your new SSD to boot from. once your in windows format your old ssd as a logical drive not a primary one. You shouldn't have any issue booting after that.
512GB is nearly prefect for these G752 you can drop in a 2.5 format SSD up to 4 TB or a hard drive up to 2 TB for data storage. I run a 512GB 950 Pro with a 850 Pro SSD 2.5 1TB for on my rig with my OS SSD at about 1/2 capacity with all my software installed on it. That was the very first thing I did when I got mine was to chagne the 256GB for the 512GB Samsung 950 Pro
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro