cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UN-PreOverclock Crosshair VIII Hero BIOS?

ationfictons
Level 10
I don't overclock. At least I thought I didn't. But, then I watched this:

https://youtu.be/qQ_AETO7Fn4

about the Intel side of things and started thinking about my Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (X570) and my AMD Ryzen 7 3700x. Looking at the latest BIOS (Version 1302), I see various settings under Extreme Tweaker that are set to Auto and I have no idea what that means (I had assumed Auto meant Off, but now I don't think so). If I want to make sure my system is running at AMD standard guidelines for the 3700x, what do I change? Here are the settings that leap out at me as being candidates (I've put an asterisk * on the defaults):

• Peformance Enhancer (Allows the CPU to maintain boost frequencies longer, resulting in higher performance)

• Auto*
    • Default (is this AMD's guideline default or Asus' overclock default?)
    • Level 1
    • Level 2
    • Level 3

• Core Performance Boost (Automatically overclocks the CPU and DRAM to enhance system performance)

• Auto*
    • Enabled
    • Disabled

• TPU (The OC tuner automatically overclocks the frequency and voltage of the CPU to enhance the system performance)

• Keep Current Settings* (???)
    • TPU I
    • TPU II

• Performance Bias (Different values may help different software's performance)

• Auto*
    • None (I assume I'd want this one)
    • CBR15 Gentle
    • Aida/Geekbench
    • CBR15 Aggressive

2 REPLIES 2

HeroLXIX
Level 7
Auto is usually what AMD recommends as it's actually their BIOS (i.e. AGESA) that takes care of most things. You can use Ryzen Master to verify the settings you're ending up with.

I ran across The Stilt's "Explaining the AMD Ryzen "Power Reporting Deviation" -metric in HWiNFO" article:

https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/explaining-the-amd-ryzen-power-reporting-deviation-metric-in-hw...

And, out of curiosity, I thought I'd take a look. According to the latest beta (v 6.27-4190), the Power Reporting Deviation for this Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (X570) with my AMD Ryzen 7 3700x is 82.4% under full multi-core load in Cinebench R20. So, I'm not very happy with that. But, from what I'm reading, there's not a darn thing we can do to stop the motherboard from misreporting the power draw. I'd still like some kind of definitive information on how to stop the automatic pre-overclocking that this board does at stock settings, though (the ones I noted in my OP).