Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    19

    ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WiFi m.2 Problem

    Hi, maybe someone could help with this, totday i build my PC it uses 2 m.2 ssds and 2 sata ssds and the Problem is m.2_2

    I have on this Port a pcie3.0x4 ssd installed pny cs3030 2tb but it only uses x2 with this its slower than it could be ......... The m.2_1 is a pcie4.0 x4 and this one works fine....... Sata ssd on the doughter Board are also installed

  2. #2
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    19

    I made Some picutes to Show the Problem i dont know if this is a missconfiguration on my side or maybe a bios Problem or because i use the doughter Board with ssds connected anyway the m. 2_2 Port should be able to use pcie4. 0 x4 and my installed m. 2 ssd is a pcie3.0 x4 wiith speeds r/w 3500/3000 but i only get arroud 1800/1800

    Also the manual dont say anything about conflicting when installing normal ssds
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211107_200551.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	494.9 KB 
ID:	90485
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1636311617586.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	331.2 KB 
ID:	90486

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Reputation
    103
    Posts
    784

    sounds like a connection issue
    check all connections , heatsink attachments

  4. #4
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    19

    Hm it could bei possible but i tryed top be extra carefull because how the 2 m.2 ssds are placed / installed

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Hello. I have similar problem. I have 2 Crucial p5 plus 1 tb and 500gb. Port M2_1 1 tb connect direct to cpu and port M2_2 500 gb direct connect to pch. When I build the pc port M2_2 detect my 500 gb Crucial p5 plus at 1x speed, benchmarek max 1600mb, 1 tb drive port M2_1 its work ok, then i swap the drive, in the port M2_2 don't detect the drive, another swap, few restart detect the drive at x2 speed but benchmark is 500mb only. What do you mean its broken M2_2 sockets or mayby the bios uefi problem.

  6. #6
    New ROGer Array lobasun_ PC Specs
    lobasun_ PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z690-I
    Processori9-12900K
    Memory (part number)Kingstone DDR5 4800MHz
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 3080Ti
    MonitorROG PG349Q
    Storage #1Seagate Firecuda 530 4TB
    Storage #2Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master
    CaseCooler Master NR200P Max
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850 SFX

    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by luki12 View Post
    Hello. I have similar problem. I have 2 Crucial p5 plus 1 tb and 500gb. Port M2_1 1 tb connect direct to cpu and port M2_2 500 gb direct connect to pch. When I build the pc port M2_2 detect my 500 gb Crucial p5 plus at 1x speed, benchmarek max 1600mb, 1 tb drive port M2_1 its work ok, then i swap the drive, in the port M2_2 don't detect the drive, another swap, few restart detect the drive at x2 speed but benchmark is 500mb only. What do you mean its broken M2_2 sockets or mayby the bios uefi problem.
    Hi, I also suffered the same issue once, and then got it fixed by "just pushing down harder when installing the PCB card of the M.2_1 layer back to the motherboard".
    As you may know, there are 2 screws on the PCB card of the M.2_1 layer, you shall not only tighten the 2 screws on the M.2_1 layer but also push down this layer to secure the M.2_1 layer to the motherboard (because there is also a interconnect plug underneath the M.2_1 layer). This trick was not written in the manual, and made my Gen4 SSD in x1 speed for over 2 weeks. Try this trick, you will have your SSD back to its original x4 speed!

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Thank you for the answer, today I tried again, I pushed everything very hard, unfortunately in this M2_2 slot it does not detect now any of my ssd 500 GB or 1 TB.
    Last edited by luki12; 12-03-2021 at 11:11 AM.

  8. #8
    New ROGer Array lobasun_ PC Specs
    lobasun_ PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z690-I
    Processori9-12900K
    Memory (part number)Kingstone DDR5 4800MHz
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 3080Ti
    MonitorROG PG349Q
    Storage #1Seagate Firecuda 530 4TB
    Storage #2Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master
    CaseCooler Master NR200P Max
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850 SFX

    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by luki12 View Post
    Thank you for the answer, today I tried again, I pushed everything very hard, unfortunately in this M2_2 slot it does not detect now any of my ssd 500 GB or 1 TB.
    Oops! Let me specify this in detail. The trick is pushing down the "top-right corner" of the the M.2_1 layer PCB card while tightening the 2 screws of it". Please refer to the illustration attached. The red circle is those 2 screws, and the red arrow is where you should push down harder, because there is a plug underneath here.
    You may try it again to see if it works.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m.2layer.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	90861

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    In Z690 are 3 connectors, M2_2 Layer PCB connected directly to motherboard, mayby ​​speakers connected (speakers work), M2_2 layer PCB directly connect to M2_1 Layer PCB (mayby ​​signals m2 drive) and M2_1 layer PCB directly connect cable to motherboard (m2_1 and M2_2 layer signals to Cpu and PCH?) All this 3 connected are relly push hard, nothing is sticking out of any plug, everything is perfectly pressed and maximum strenght, and I think that if you had to be so careful with this connected, there would be a lot of topics about a non-working disk on this motherboard.

  10. #10
    New ROGer Array lobasun_ PC Specs
    lobasun_ PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z690-I
    Processori9-12900K
    Memory (part number)Kingstone DDR5 4800MHz
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 3080Ti
    MonitorROG PG349Q
    Storage #1Seagate Firecuda 530 4TB
    Storage #2Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master
    CaseCooler Master NR200P Max
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850 SFX

    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by luki12 View Post
    In Z690 are 3 connectors, M2_2 Layer PCB connected directly to motherboard, mayby ​​speakers connected (speakers work), M2_2 layer PCB directly connect to M2_1 Layer PCB (mayby ​​signals m2 drive) and M2_1 layer PCB directly connect cable to motherboard (m2_1 and M2_2 layer signals to Cpu and PCH?) All this 3 connected are relly push hard, nothing is sticking out of any plug, everything is perfectly pressed and maximum strenght, and I think that if you had to be so careful with this connected, there would be a lot of topics about a non-working disk on this motherboard.
    Hi, as far as I know, there are at least 4 people including me suffered the same issue and we all got it fixed by what I wrote in the previous discussion. I guess, most of people are using only 1 SSD in m.2_1 slot, so this m.2_2 connection issue is not wildly discussed on the internet. But you may check similar discussion on reddit as below:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUSROG/com..._not_detected/

    If you ask me, I think this kind of stacking PCB layout is smart for a mini-ITX motherboard, but it may lack the robustness of the interconnection between layer to layer ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •