cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn off overclock

Greg_Buenos
Level 8
Hello

How do you turn off the overclock? When I boot up the splash screen says I'm overclocking at 36 percent.

I am not a gamer, I record music, and I need the most reliable setup I can get.

I looked in Ai-suite and didn't see anything.

Also, I found an old thread that said to go into the bios and press F5. I tried this but F5 seems to automatically install the settings for some kind of optimized overclock.

There must be some way to tell the Bios to not overclock!

All of my components are listed in my profile, and my MOBO is a OG STRIX Z-390E.

Thanks for any help you can give!
5 REPLIES 5

Greg_Buenos
Level 8
Ok, I think I figured it out.

First, F5, then exit with the changes using F10.

Now the splash screen does not indicate overclock, and the same with AI-Suite. The Ai-suite says 0 percent.

But at the bottom, the CPU speed keeps bubbling around 4700, even though the processor is supposed to be 3600. I am guessing that the Intel CPU is controlling the clock speed automatically and this is not considered overclocking. I hope.

I

Greg Buenos wrote:
Ok, I think I figured it out.

First, F5, then exit with the changes using F10.

Now the splash screen does not indicate overclock, and the same with AI-Suite. The Ai-suite says 0 percent.

But at the bottom, the CPU speed keeps bubbling around 4700, even though the processor is supposed to be 3600. I am guessing that the Intel CPU is controlling the clock speed automatically and this is not considered overclocking. I hope.

I

Glad you figured it out. Yes you need to save the default [F5] setting, either by using F10 keyboard shortcut, or click Exit and Save Changes setting in the UEFI. Your system is no longer OCed and any changes in the CPU frequency is due to Intel speed boost etc. as is adjusts the CPU speed depending on load.

Greg Buenos wrote:
the CPU speed keeps bubbling around 4700, even though the processor is supposed to be 3600.

I may be mistaken but I believe that having ASUS MultiCore Enhancement set to Enabled(or was it Auto?) can do that exact thing.
Perhaps you can check for it in your BIOS, if you wish. I have it on Disabled.

EDIT: I found more info on this link: https://www.anandtech.com/show/6214/multicore-enhancement-the-debate-about-free-mhz

XYchromosone
Level 10
Goood find menaquinone, I can't recall if F5 setts MCE to Auto or disabled? Must check.

XYchromosone wrote:
Goood find menaquinone, I can't recall if F5 setts MCE to Auto or disabled? Must check.

For me on Prime Z370-A , F5 sets both MCE and AI Overclock Tuner to Auto, and leaving all set from F5, the CPU speed in Windows 7 x64 is only 4.4Ghz tops (from the base 3.7Ghz) but the only thing I did was boot into Windows, didn't try any benchmarks or tests.

also MCE has only Disabled and Auto for me. I do remember that setting XMP will ask me something about overclocking with YES/NO dialog, maybe only after answering YES to that will MCE be enabled? or I don't even know anymore 🙂