cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AC5300 Hard reset and wifi problems

fabio7586
Level 7
Hello, i have bought a new gt-ac5300. I have several issues like people wrote in this forum:
1) No way to reset router, only after several reset attempts it works. I have made a video, as you can see i have assigned a fixed ip to my smartphone and after reset fixed ip still there. https://youtu.be/304I2KNnzhE You can see the start and the end of this video.
2) After working reset, wi-fi is available in a separate ssid or with smart connect and it works. After an half day or a days, wi-fi go down and it don't return available. I have read that is can be a problem regarding high temp so i put an 80cm diameter fan on router to test if this problem is right, but no wifi signal returns.
3) There is no way to select channel for 5ghz-1 (auto or 0).

4) then.... as for magic wi-fi return for disappearing again... boh
Where is ASUS? Where are updates to solve all of these problem? This is not optional features, wi-fi is a main features and it MUST works.

Thank you for support
10 REPLIES 10

wilsondenq
Level 10
fabio7586 wrote:
Hello, i have bought a new gt-ac5300. I have several issues like people wrote in this forum:
1) No way to reset router, only after several reset attempts it works. I have made a video, as you can see i have assigned a fixed ip to my smartphone and after reset fixed ip still there. https://youtu.be/304I2KNnzhE You can see the start and the end of this video.
2) After working reset, wi-fi is available in a separate ssid or with smart connect and it works. After an half day or a days, wi-fi go down and it don't return available. I have read that is can be a problem regarding high temp so i put an 80cm diameter fan on router to test if this problem is right, but no wifi signal returns.

Where is ASUS? Where are updates to solve all of these problem? This is not optional features, wi-fi is a main features and it MUST works.

Thank you for support

Hi

if issue still exist, please use feedback in our firmware, and share your email to me, we can grap your logs from our server to check what's going on.

wilsondenq wrote:
Hi

if issue still exist, please use feedback in our firmware, and share your email to me, we can grap your logs from our server to check what's going on.

I will try to perform a reset with ahfoo guide as following,
In the meanwhile i'd want give you an update:
After 72hr in this situation:
wifi is still active (range is awful after 7 meters from router and internet becomes damned slow). So, wifi dropping is caused by excessive heat? or from what?

5ghz-1 channel is still mistery, no way to select channel (only 0 "zero")

ahfoo wrote:
please follow the following step to perform the proper reset of your router.

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power LED light starts flashing.
5. Power light stops flashing and the router will automatically reboot.

Re-configure your setting from scratch.

thank you, i will try in a short and i will inform you of result ;).

Thank you all. I will update for any news.

fabio7586 wrote:
I will try to perform a reset with ahfoo guide as following,
In the meanwhile i'd want give you an update:
After 72hr in this situation:
wifi is still active (range is awful after 7 meters from router and internet becomes damned slow). So, wifi dropping is caused by excessive heat? or from what?

5ghz-1 channel is still mistery, no way to select channel (only 0 "zero")

thank you, i will try in a short and i will inform you of result ;).

Thank you all. I will update for any news.

May be you should try to move the router away from the corner area to a much open space. I don't think heat an issue, I am living a country with daily temperature around 32C degree and the humidity here very high too.

ahfoo
Level 13
fabio7586 wrote:

Thank you for support

please follow the following step to perform the proper reset of your router.

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power LED light starts flashing.
5. Power light stops flashing and the router will automatically reboot.

Re-configure your setting from scratch.

Jesseinsf
Level 10
In the corner with all that metal around it is indeed seriously crippling the signal. It can be against a wall but do your best at keeping metal objects and electronics away from it and it should be at desk height in a central location.

Update: after a week with fan at low rpm (silent night mode), no dropping accours. I'm buying a cooling base for notebook to try to solve definitivly heat problems, in the meanwhile asus will solve with an update.

Jesseinsf wrote:
In the corner with all that metal around it is indeed seriously crippling the signal. It can be against a wall but do your best at keeping metal objects and electronics away from it and it should be at desk height in a central location.

Dear maybe you are right, but before gt5300 i had a fritzbox 7490 in the same position with same devices attached ands signal go through 4 wall of 10cm with 15m lenght (two sides of my home) with a signal strength near 70% and no wait with internet page loading (now need about 30sec to display google). Now after 7m without wall in the middle signal is about half and speed is ridicolous... Considering that fritzbox 7490 costs 200€ and gt5300 660€, this difference from two devices is shameful so, we try not to find excuses because we would like that asus does the job for which it is paid by us.

We have paid a full price for a complete device, we aren't beta tester..

little example:
If i buy a Ferrari, i expect to go better on the track (same track) than family minivan, or not?

Thank you

Update:
Wifi disappeared again, but i discover, i think, a bug. After reset the router, i have configured wifi, wan and lan and then i have configured WTFast (This is first time that i have configured it); after wtfast configuration, channels of 5ghz-1 dissapear (it display only 0 or auto) that is different from image before wtfast configuration (see below). I have tried same beahvior 5 times and its result is same everytime.

Same if reboot, wifi return and then disappear with 5ghz-1 that sign channel 0 or auto.

fabio7586 wrote:
Update:
Wifi disappeared again, but i discover, i think, a bug. After reset the router, i have configured wifi, wan and lan and then i have configured WTFast (This is first time that i have configured it); after wtfast configuration, channels of 5ghz-1 dissapear (it display only 0 or auto) that is different from image before wtfast configuration (see below). I have tried same beahvior 5 times and its result is same everytime.

Same if reboot, wifi return and then disappear with 5ghz-1 that sign channel 0 or auto.

That is not what's causes it. I don't use WTFast and the same happens to me. I am leaning towards a heat issue. I'm thinking about sitting it on top of a laptop cooler.

Jesseinsf wrote:
That is not what's causes it. I don't use WTFast and the same happens to me. I am leaning towards a heat issue. I'm thinking about sitting it on top of a laptop cooler.

I removed big fan and setted a cooler made by me (diy) as you can see in picture, but nothing has changed. So is this a firmware bug or faulty hardware? Can asus answer this? Oh my god.... can ASUS answer? This isn't a fan forum, this is official asus rog forum, so where is ASUS? Can we know if ASUS is working to solve all of these problems?

I'm testing a lot of things...