Thread: Advice needed

ROG Enthusiast Array

Advice needed

Hi,

I just recieved my Asus Rog Crosshair VIII with wifi on Thursday. Friday I got my ram and cpu (64 gigs of Trident Z Neo and an x3900 amd cpu). Upon looking at the board several times from Thursday after work and until this morning, I have noticed some things that might be strange with this board. The VRMs around the CPU area of the board have 'splits' or 'cracks' in the soldering. Is this normal? I can understand some of the quality issues with the two 4 pronged connectors below and to the right of the digital error code display. They are bent to the left and the white plastic pieces are a few millimeters above the board surface. The soldering is a bit bothersome. I haven't started the board up yet. Is this board safe to start up? I still have the board in the box. Any help is appreciated.

I'll attach/post pics to show what I mean:
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos IMG_3718.jpg  

IMG_3719.jpg  

IMG_3720.jpg  

IMG_3721.jpg  

IMG_3722.jpg  

ROG Enthusiast Array

Just bumping this up. Does anyone know if these cracks in the soldering would pose any kind of issue with the function of the board? Does anybody else have this problem with their x570 board?

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH II EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 3960X
    Memory (part number)TXBD48G4000HC18FBK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970/960/950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB/Samsung 1TBSSDs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Dimastech Easy XL...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic 1000 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2 ROG Claymore... or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse Corsair M65Pro or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

That is entirely normal

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    That is entirely normal
    Arne,

I don't think that I have even seen this before. Now on two boards. The one in the pics above are from an Asus CH8 wifi. I just got in a Formula version. The formula version had a few above the cpu socket that were cracked and non on the left side. The non formula had both rows of vrms cracked. Are those 'support' pieces that the vrms sit in cause any type of electrical shorting? I have been in contact with an Asus rep since the first board came to me . I did RMA that board before any use. He said it could have been damaged while being shipped. I think its a manufacturing issue that there is not enough solder being used to secure the vrms. I still haven't put the x3900 and ram on this board yet. What I would like to know if there is any electricl issues that would come from those 'cracked' soldered areas and would it ruin my other computer parts? Does Asus cover a loss like that? I can't really afford a loss.

I did send him pics of the formula board. It's a great looking board no marks or anything, but the issue of the cracked solder areas. I did asked him to send all pics to the Asus engineers. If it was a shipping issue, Asus needs to ask the 3rd parties not to ship their products in such manners to allow these parts to crack. If its a manufacturing issue then the engineers need to look at how and how much solder is being used.

Thanks,

masterskop