Maximus XI Hero Wifi - Which slot for M.2 and PCI Lanes

SnowyUK
Level 7
Hi - I'm new to the forum 🙂

I'm just about to build a new rig based around :

Maximus XI Hero Wifi
i9 9900k
GTX 2080Ti

My main boot drive is going to be a 2tb Seagate Firecuda 510 M.2 NVME.

I was wondering which of the M.2 slots it should go in please (and what it should be set to in BIOS) - Also, will this affect any of the PCIe lanes for the GPU ?

Many thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

If you plan to use only one NVMe SSD, plug it in the M.2_2 slot rather than in the M.2_1 slot so that it will not be exposed to heat from the GPU, CPU, RAM.

You have nothing to set on the BIOS, your graphics card will be @ x16 and your NVMe SSD will be @ x4.

Thank you so much for the info.

At the moment it will be the only M.2 drive.

I will be plugging a 1tb Samsung EVO SSD and a 3Tb WD Black Spinner into the regular SATA ports.

I'm guessing that won't make any difference?

SnowyUK wrote:
I will be plugging a 1tb Samsung EVO SSD and a 3Tb WD Black Spinner into the regular SATA ports.

I'm guessing that won't make any difference?

No difference, all your SATA ports will be available.

Thanks again for all the replies.

On the motherboard, there is a rubber cube - Do I remove that or does the M.2 card sit on it ?

SnowyUK wrote:
Thanks again for all the replies.

On the motherboard, there is a rubber cube - Do I remove that or does the M.2 card sit on it ?

It's a thermal pad for the SSD, you just have to remove the protective with REMOVE written on it :

No not on the heatsink, on the actual board itself - It's glued to the board (albeit at a wonky angle on mine) as in the this photo : https://www.screencast.com/t/kkA2jKCN

SnowyUK wrote:
No not on the heatsink, on the actual board itself - It's glued to the board (albeit at a wonky angle on mine) as in the this photo : https://www.screencast.com/t/kkA2jKCN

Yes, it is support for SSD (it will sit on it).