cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING cannot boot with 32GB x 2 RAM modules.

Zhiyuan_Lin
Level 7
Hello ROG forum, I just bought a ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING motherboard recently,
however I have encountered issues with the PC not able to boot with two 32GB RAM installed.

I have tested installing only one on each slot, and have confirm that both RAM modules and RAM slot can function normally,
however the computer will simply not boot when there are two RAM installed.

The BIOS setting is factory default and I have changed different CPU and RAM modules to test, the problem persists.
I have contacted ASUS support, they suggested me to send the motherboard for repair, but since two RAM slot functions normally when only one of them is used,
I suspect this can be fixed with a BIOS update. Don't know if anyone else have the same problems.
Its either ASUS shipped a faulty hardware or firmware.
If its a firmware problem, I don't want to send the motherboard to replacement and wait maybe a few weeks and end up with exact the same issues with the new one.

CPU tested: Intel i5-10400 and Intel i9-10900
RAM modules tested: G.Skill F4-3600C18D-64GVK(not QVL certified), Corsair CMK64GX4M2D3600C18(QVL Certified)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Build 19041.264
BIOS version: Version 0504

Thank you!
12 REPLIES 12

m4ttjirm
Level 7
Zhiyuan Lin wrote:
Hello ROG forum, I just bought a ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING motherboard recently,
however I have encountered issues with the PC not able to boot with two 32GB RAM installed.

I have tested installing only one on each slot, and have confirm that both RAM modules and RAM slot can function normally,
however the computer will simply not boot when there are two RAM installed.

The BIOS setting is factory default and I have changed different CPU and RAM modules to test, the problem persists.
I have contacted ASUS support, they suggested me to send the motherboard for repair, but since two RAM slot functions normally when only one of them is used,
I suspect this can be fixed with a BIOS update. Don't know if anyone else have the same problems.
Its either ASUS shipped a faulty hardware or firmware.
If its a firmware problem, I don't want to send the motherboard to replacement and wait maybe a few weeks and end up with exact the same issues with the new one.

CPU tested: Intel i5-10400 and Intel i9-10900
RAM modules tested: G.Skill F4-3600C18D-64GVK(not QVL certified), Corsair CMK64GX4M2D3600C18(QVL Certified)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Build 19041.264
BIOS version: Version 0504

Thank you!

I believe on the z390-I you can only get to 64gb if you purchase the special DC version of ram. I am not sure if the same is for the z490-i or not

m4ttjirm wrote:
I believe on the z390-I you can only get to 64gb if you purchase the special DC version of ram. I am not sure if the same is for the z490-i or not

Hello, m4ttjirm:o, thanks you for replying.
What did you mean by the word DC? If it is data center then I thought those are mostly ECC RAM that won't work on a home PC's motherboard.

Since my 64GB RAM kit is on the QVL provided by ASUS for this motherboard, I expected them to work, but they doesn't, this is so disappointing.
I have trusted ASUS for 12 years, using ASUS motherboards for all my own and my parents PCs, ROG STRIX Z490-I is the first ever ROG product I bought, and I got lots of issues with this one.

1. Intel I225-V does not work after reboot (Seems to be common for all Z490 motherboard, so I blame Intel)
2. Freeze after a few minutes with default BIOS setting, need to disable C-STATES power saving to get a stable system (Fixed in latest BIOS Version 0607, so I guess ASUS is to blame).
3. 64GB RAM from the QVL does not work (Don't know its common to Z490 or just ASUS, but it shows ASUS does not actually test RAM on QVL, maybe they just have it so they can be get paid by RAM vendors?).

Zhiyuan Lin wrote:
Hello, m4ttjirm:o, thanks you for replying.
What did you mean by the word DC? If it is data center then I thought those are mostly ECC RAM that won't work on a home PC's motherboard.

Since my 64GB RAM kit is on the QVL provided by ASUS for this motherboard, I expected them to work, but they doesn't, this is so disappointing.
I have trusted ASUS for 12 years, using ASUS motherboards for all my own and my parents PCs, ROG STRIX Z490-I is the first ever ROG product I bought, and I got lots of issues with this one.

1. Intel I225-V does not work after reboot (Seems to be common for all Z490 motherboard, so I blame Intel)
2. Freeze after a few minutes with default BIOS setting, need to disable C-STATES power saving to get a stable system (Fixed in latest BIOS Version 0607, so I guess ASUS is to blame).
3. 64GB RAM from the QVL does not work (Don't know its common to Z490 or just ASUS, but it shows ASUS does not actually test RAM on QVL, maybe they just have it so they can be get paid by RAM vendors?).

I have the same problem on 32GB GSkill memory that are listed on the QVL. I cannot run XMP1 or XMP2. It will crash multiple times a day showing critical errors in Event Viewer so I just let it run stock. Has to be an ASUS issue.

On the Intell I225V issue... I had this problem. Your firmware for the driver is not updated and will not update if you have the latest driver installed already. Uninstall the newest driver. Install the newest firmware that is part of the latest driver's download package. Retstart and then install the latest driver. This fixed my problem.

I have had the exact same issues as you and as it seems a few others have been having. Unstable XMP with both sticks of RAM installed, but runs perfectly fine with only one. I've finally got around to contacting ASUS support but it looks like they're just copy + pasting unhelpful info on setting RAM timings in the BIOS (which I have tried).
Any ideas on what to do?

samuel_reamer
Level 7
I've also had issues using 64 GB RAM with two of these boards now. First board I could not install Windows with any RAM in slot B. With the second board; with optimized defaults the system freezes 1 to 2 times a day. If I enable XMP I or II, or try setting manually system freezes in 30 minutes to an hour. My RAM isn't on the QVL. Not sure what to do at this point. Hoping a BIOS update will provide more improvement.

Shamino

samuel_reamer
Level 7
I tried the BIOS 703, with XMP I enabled and experienced the same issue.

Update:

I have contacted the ASUS RMA center for repair, however when packaging the motherboard I did not know how to put on the CPU cover correctly so the CPU socket was damaged. The RMA center refuse to repair the motherboard for free since there are physical damages on the socket, they asked for ~$300 for its repair, but it is almost as expensive as a new motherboard.

So I ask them to recycle the motherboard and bought a new one from same shop yesterday, got it today.
The new one works without any problem. I use BIOS Version 0607 with it, dual channel 64GB with XMP to 3600MHz

It seems the first batch have many faulty motherboard, you should ask RMA center to fix them, but be careful when placing the CPU cover, It most be placed outside of the CPU holder!

It is so disappointing to waste a lot of money on that faulty motherboard!

samuel.reamer wrote:
I tried the BIOS 703, with XMP I enabled and experienced the same issue.

Same here. 0703, 0703 specil. XMP/no XMP - does not matter. Tried 2x16 Gb Crucial Ballistix, two sets, one 3200 another one 3600