cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GX501VI graphics card fried? I think so, but hope not!

gingoblin
Level 7
Hello- I've recently had major problems with this laptop. Very often I get a blank screen on boot up, sometimes I can get into Windows ok, but if I use anything that seems to want the GPU to really get going, the problems begin. Often this will be artifacts on the screen, it flashing, or just going black again. I've attached a photo as example, which also shows the Gaming Centre knowing there is a graphics card, but it not being used. I have installed latest drivers, I have tried installing older drivers that worked previously, I have reinstalled Windows- I'm not sure what's left to try- which is why I now think it is a hardware issue and something is fried. I've only had it for two years, and it doesn't get heavy usage, so this is really really poor for such an expensive machine.
Does anybody have any ideas? I'm not very hopeful, but any comments would be much appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

pndiode
Level 11
Looks like a reballing GPU issue due to weak or cracked solder joints. I could be wrong.

However, I have seen lines like that when I reflashed a GPU chip with an incorrect BIOS, but lines were across the whole screen.

pndiode wrote:
Looks like a reballing GPU issue due to weak or cracked solder joints. I could be wrong.

However, I have seen lines like that when I reflashed a GPU chip with an incorrect BIOS, but lines were across the whole screen.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think this is repairable, if it's cracked solder joints? Or if it's incorrect BIOS, what would be my next move?
cheers

Blake1
Level 10
Hello gingoblin,
Please kindly back up the data and send your device to service center for a complete checking.
Thank you very much.