cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory code 00 - Memory Test error when power is completely shut off

Richard_Nixon
Level 8
However, I'm having a really weird issue. Yesterday was the first power-on test of the system and it jumped into the BIOS just fine. The very first thing I did was flash to the latest BIOS revision (0902), load optimized defaults, and reboot. The reboot also looked good and I was back in the BIOS, so I hit the power switch to shut everything down.

I did a bit of cable management and booted back up - I should say, I flicked the PSU power switch (not the system power on button, but the actual PSU power switch) and while the RGBs turned on, the OLED screen immediately showed "memory code 00" for a few seconds before switching to say "memory test". The system was unresponsive at that point - the fans and water pump never turned on and as far as I could tell the system was actually powered down with just idle board power, but all I saw was "memory test" and a board that wouldn't even POST. No video output at all, of course.

I am running 4x 16gb sticks at the moment in slots D1, C1, B1, and A1. I tried reducing the memory to just one stick in D1 - same behavior. As soon as I cut on the PSU power, I saw the OLED display "memory test" and it would refuse to even begin POSTing. I tried each of my four memory sticks and one known good stick pulled from a running PC - same thing. I saw a post on Reddit suggesting removing m.2 drives, which I did, and the system booted up (with 1 stick of the original ram in D1). Weird. I powered off and plugged the other sticks back in. "Memory test" again.

I had an urge to test something, so I simply unseated the GPU and toggled the PSU power - the error cleared itself! I booted the Windows installer and installed Windows on a RAID array using the m.2_1 and m.2_2 positions on the board. Post-install reboot worked fine and I'm in Windows. I powered off the system via the start menu and as soon as the power clicked off I saw "memory code 00" for a moment before "memory test" came back.

That's where I am now. Presumably my system works just fine, but any time I actually do a full power-off of the system, the oled displays "memory test" and won't power on. If I unplug the gpu, switch on the PSU (I don't even have to power on the system and begin POSTing, just switching on power at the PSU does it), cut power, plug the GPU back in, and reconnect power, I can boot just fine. I'm in the middle of a memtest86 run and I'm currently waiting on test #10 of pass #1 and I don't have any errors. I'll continue to run memtest to completion and then boot into Windows for a CPU test.

I spoke with ASUS support and it didn't go well - the chat agent spent a few minutes making sure I had plugged in my memory correctly and then advised that I return the board the Newegg. The replacement is out for delivery tonight so I'm hopeful that it'll be fixed.

Image of the oled error is attached. Yes I know the memory is in slot D2 in that picture - I was testing the various slots when I took it.

TL;DR
This only happens when the system powers off (either via windows shutdown or a power button press when in the BIOS. Once this happens, switching on the system power will only cause the LEDs and OLED screen to light up. The power button is unresponsive. I can unseat my gpu and toggle the power on/off to clear the error.

I saw that 1003 was just released as well, though the links are pulled from the support site.
18 REPLIES 18

dayjob
Level 9
I also encounter random issues on initial boot after powering off and powering back on from the PSU. I typically try and catch the boot and go into bios and hit save settings and reboot (no changes) and then it boots better and will be fine until the next time I turn the PSU off. If I do not catch it in time, then windows will behave very baddly and I just wait until it lets me reboot and then it is fine.

When I say random issues: I get memory code or sometimes simply every usb device isn't detected and so it stops booting due to no KB found. Again, reboot is fine and as long as I never turn of the PSU then I can power off for days and it will boot the next time fine.

I am suspecting something to do with the power delivery of the board but haven't played with the power settings to try and find a fix (because it is damn stable other than this issue).

Richard_Nixon
Level 8
New motherboard and ram came in today. Exact same issue - after a hard power off, the system shows memory 00 / memory test on the OLED screen. The only components installed are cpu, ram, 2x m.2 SSDs in ports 1 and 2, and a 2080ti from a working system (that I'm posting on right now).

I've swapped out the mobo and ram already. I'm trying to RMA my threadripper 3970 with Amazon now and Corsair is working on an RMA for my ax1200i. I tried removing the SSDs entirely just to rule that out and the error persists.

If it persists past a CPU and PSU swap, I'll have literally built a second computer that still has the same error. What is even going on here?

Richard Nixon wrote:
New motherboard and ram came in today. Exact same issue - after a hard power off, the system shows memory 00 / memory test on the OLED screen. The only components installed are cpu, ram, 2x m.2 SSDs in ports 1 and 2, and a 2080ti from a working system (that I'm posting on right now).

I've swapped out the mobo and ram already. I'm trying to RMA my threadripper 3970 with Amazon now and Corsair is working on an RMA for my ax1200i. I tried removing the SSDs entirely just to rule that out and the error persists.

If it persists past a CPU and PSU swap, I'll have literally built a second computer that still has the same error. What is even going on here?

Did you reseat the CPU and used the (included with Threadripper) torque screwdriver? Strange things can happen when the CPU doesn't have full contact with the pins in the CPU socket.

kcdaemon wrote:
Did you reseat the CPU and used the (included with Threadripper) torque screwdriver? Strange things can happen when the CPU doesn't have full contact with the pins in the CPU socket.

I had to swap the CPU from the old board to the new one, so yep. This is my first AMD platform so I think the socket is really weird, but I slid the threadripper (inside its plastic sleeve) into the middle section of the mounting bracket until it clicked lightly, then I closed the middle part of the bracket and ensured that both of its fins were clicked into place before lowering the top of the bracket. I tightened each of the 3 screws (in the order 1-2-3) first a few turns to get them all threaded and then all the way down until the orange Ryzen screw driver hit its torque stop. Following the advice of the overclock.net thread, I also ensured that the four cooling bracket screws were tightened completely into the backplate using the orange screwdriver.

Remove any memory overclocking and see if this sorts your problem, it did on my Zenith Extreme Alpha.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha

I think we have to start from here. What is the model# of the memory and check if it is in the memory QVL. What model of the motherboard?
Usually if the memory is not in the QVL, the memory profile is not in the bios/motherboard and you might have to adjust the bios to boot properly.

My suggestions are to setup DOCP, and lower the frequency until it boots.

If you want to running higher frequency, you might also try loosen the timing from spec timing to higher timing. for instance, 18-18-18-36 to 19-19-19-36 and increase DRAM voltage higher than 1.35V and add 0.01V (1.36V , 1.37V...) until it boots.

Richard Nixon wrote:

Sincerely,
Legolas

richychi
Level 8
Adding that I'm seeing similar behavior - if the system ever does down for a complete shutdown the motherboard stays stuck on "Memory Test" and won't post or boot. Unplugging the motherboard for a few seconds allows the motherboard to exit this bad state and show the Zenith II Extreme Alpha splash, from which it can boot. The system when booted passes OCCT over a few hours and has been working. Reboots are fine as long as it doesn't hard shut down. I'm at a loss for what the issue could be but it *looks* like a software issue in the BIOS?

Help or more information would be appreciated.

So I have the exact same issue as Richard, I've had the system built for more than a month, everything was running fine and boom this morning when I booted up its stuck at the codes and symptoms that Richard explained. If I hit the clear cmos, retry buttons, safe boot, same result, Memory 00 followed by Memory Test and just gets stuck there. Unplugging and rebooting same result.

I will try unplugging the graphics card tomorrow and see what that dowes

Richard, what did you do to correct this issue? Anyone else?

Zenith 2 extreme
AMD Threadripper 3960
GSkill 4x8 32 mem (on the approved list)
Phantecs Revolt X 1200 w
ASUS ROG 2080 TI
EKWB custom loop

Thanks for the help!

I tried to reinstall cpu, check powersupply, clear cmos nothing worked. The only working solution to fix the 00 post code error was removing the motherboard battery. Its strange clear cmos not working but removing the battery and wait for an half an hour was enough (i guess few minutes was also enough but i had other things to do). Ofcourse my powercable was unplugged to.

Hope you will find a solution.