cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not happy with my Rampage IV :(

jimsond
Level 9
Having some big problems with my Rampage IV MB. I had a Maximus IV Extreme that was set up with 2 OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Max in RAID 0 and 2 Western Digital 500GB for data and 1Western Digital 300GB Ghost of C:.. When I switch MB and when it boot it up it would not open windows from my raid drives. I try to run a windows repair and it wouldn't see the drive. I was able to boot of my ghost drive but i have to reset the controller from raid to AHCI. if I leave it set to raid and when it boot off the ghost drive into windows it will not see all my drives. So when I set it to AHCI everything is ok but I can not make a clone copy to my raid drives.. I try 2 programs 1 is Norton Ghost that I have used before with no problems and the other is Acronis both of them do not work after ghost finish and I do a restart it doesn't see the drive. After days of trying this I did a fresh install of windows on my raid drives with no problem all I had to do was reinstall all my programs. So now after I reinstall all my programs that took me 3 days to do I had to do a restart after an update an my PC would not start again it would not see the raid drive.. I spoke to OCZ and they told me I didn't have a problem with the drives . I think there is a problem with the raid controller. Because I also try to use 2 other drives in raid 0 and I have the same problem an I know I am using the new drivers for the Intel Raid controller.. Please Help!!! 6963
Corsair D900 Custon water cooled!

ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREMIMG
i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
2- EVGA GeForce GTX 980 TI Hydro Copper Signature
EVGA 120-G2-1600-X1 1600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified
2- Swiftech MCP655 pumps & Bitspower BP-2D5TOPP-BK Dual D5 Mod Top
2- OCZ Technology 256GB Vector Series SATA 6.0 GB
2- XSPC Quad-Fan Radiator & 2- XSPC Dual-Fan Radiator
20 REPLIES 20

houndazs
Level 9
try flashing to the newest BIOS for the R4E, and aslso make sure that you have the latest Intel Raid Controller Drivers. Double check your BIOS again and make sure that the board is set up to RAID and not AHCI. I have noticed with my board that some changes in the BIOS will change the drive type from RAID to AHCI.

EDIT: As Area 66 said MoBo swapp with a software RAID is bad. The 2 boards have different chipsets, thus the reason the R4E wasn't reconizing your old RAID set-up from the M4E.

Its a simple x79 vs P67 chipset difference. Yes both made by Intel, but they are not compatible with each others RAID configuration.

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
-16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
-Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
- 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
- XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
-3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
- CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
- Logitech G500 Mouse

houndazs wrote:
try flashing to the newest BIOS for the R4E, and aslso make sure that you have the latest Intel Raid Controller Drivers. Double check your BIOS again and make sure that the board is set up to RAID and not AHCI. I have noticed with my board that some changes in the BIOS will change the drive type from RAID to AHCI.

EDIT: As Area 66 said MoBo swapp with a software RAID is bad. The 2 boards have different chipsets, thus the reason the R4E wasn't reconizing your old RAID set-up from the M4E.

Its a simple x79 vs P67 chipset difference. Yes both made by Intel, but they are not compatible with each others RAID configuration.

Yes I have check the BIOS and have the latest Intel Raid drives and also I know to make sure that it is set to raid and I also know that the chips are difference that is why I did do a new install and like I said it was working but it did fail after about 4 days and now I am back ti reinstalling windows and this sucks..

ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREMIMG

Area_66
Level 11
Ya Houndazs may have apoint here, if for some reason your BIOS reset to default value, you may not be in Raid

also you don't swap a motherboard and expect to reuse the Windows on raid drive. Did you at least remove those drives from a raid configuration before rebuild the new raid array ? I see Ghost and Acrronis in your tread, this is a NO NO with Raid disk + MOtherboard swap , when you say you make a fresh install and you just have to reinstall your Program, I'm worry, did you or not do a fresh install, or you just run the install over the old Windows ?

Area 66 wrote:
Ya Houndazs may have apoint here, if for some reason your BIOS reset to default value, you may not be in Raid

also you don't swap a motherboard and expect to reuse the Windows on raid drive. Did you at least remove those drives from a raid configuration before rebuild the new raid array ? I see Ghost and Acrronis in your tread, this is a NO NO with Raid disk + MOtherboard swap , when you say you make a fresh install and you just have to reinstall your Program, I'm worry, did you or not do a fresh install, or you just run the install over the old Windows ?

I have use Ghost for years now and never had a problem switching mother boards before and I always used Asus Extreme mb. I did delete the old raid and built a new raid and then install a fresh install of windows.. So with a raid setup how do you do a back up of your system??

ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREMIMG

jimsond wrote:
So with a raid setup how do you do a back up of your system??

I use the restore and backup integrate in Windows Home Server 2011 or Windows Small Business Server 2011, they work great, I made quite few test and it always work

houndazs
Level 9
I have my Single SSD (soon to be RAID 0) backing up to my RAID 1 daily using the windows Backup and Restore Utility.

I also have this running on many of my customers machines to a network back-up. Also works great for local backups

FBackup: http://www.fbackup.com/

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

houndazs
Level 9
make sure to check the intel RAID (Ctrl-I at bootup) to make sure that it says "RAID Disk" and not "Non-RAID Disk" next to your SSD that you have setup in a RAID. You can see this during the boot message, and if it goes away too fast (as mine does) you can press the "Pause" key on your keyboard to pause the screen so that you can read all the info in it.

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

houndazs wrote:
make sure to check the intel RAID (Ctrl-I at bootup) to make sure that it says "RAID Disk" and not "Non-RAID Disk" next to your SSD that you have setup in a RAID. You can see this during the boot message, and if it goes away too fast (as mine does) you can press the "Pause" key on your keyboard to pause the screen so that you can read all the info in it.

yes it is set to raid, I also was thinking of just going with a OCZ RevoDrive X2 PCI-Express SSD and not using the intel raid controller what do you think about this drive?

ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREMIMG

jimsond wrote:
yes it is set to raid, I also was thinking of just going with a OCZ RevoDrive X2 PCI-Express SSD and not using the intel raid controller what do you think about this drive?

nothing good to say about any OCZ products, why you just don't use a simple Intel 520 , don't you find them fast enough ? and with Intel you have a 5 years waranty