cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) - problem with detecting M2 drive in second slot

Gegunio
Level 7
Hello,
Please help me with running the M2 drive on the second slot because I can't believe it's the third M2 drive from Samsung in a row that broke down so fast.

Well, from the beginning.

A few days ago, I have assembled a new platform based on Ryzen 3900X, which looks like this:

- Ryzen 3900X
- Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black
- Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi)
- 2x16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
- 1x M2 Samsung Evo 970 Plus 1TB
- 1x M2 Samsung Evo 970 Plus 500GB
- 1x SATA SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
- Radeon 5700XT Sapphire Nitro +
- Power Supply Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80Platinium

... and rest of components

At the very beginning, after the computer was assembled and first turned on (but I don't remember then whether this M2 500GB drive was visible, it is possible that it was) I managed to install Windows from the bootable flash drive, unfortunately I couldn't finish the installation after the reset because the motherboard started showing POST 02/06 errors after the reset and hung on the ROG logotype not allowing to enter either the bios or the system.

CMOS reset did not help.
It helped upload the latest bios from the ASUS website.

After uploading the latest bios I installed Windows 10 on M2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, which was visible in the bios, but only after changing the CMS section to enabled and legacy.

The M2 Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus 500GB drive was not visible in Windows 10 on My computer or in disk management. Only in the Device Manager tab in the NVM Express Controllers section the second controller had a signed I/O error code 10. There was nothing to reinstall this controller driver. Only once in a dozen or so times I managed to "theoretically" install this controller, so the disk was visible in disk management - but I didn't go to format it, there was an error when trying to format this M2 500GB disk.

Generally this M2 drive inserted into the second M2 slot on the motherboard is not visible at all in the Boot section. Only once in a dozen or so times you can see it in the Advanced - NVME Configuration tab. But this is only once in a dozen or so times. Normally it is not shown.

I've tried the latest bios, I've also installed its earlier version, but without positive effect.

I have checked this drive with a friend in his computer and there are similar symptoms - the drive is only visible in nvme configuration section and in windows 10 there is an error in NVM Express I/O controller code 10

Besides, the drive is very hot even after short use.

Is there anything I could do with it, any option in the bios, but it would be visible and usable? But are there any symptoms that might indicate that it has been damaged?

I'll add that it's a drive that's been bypassed from an older computer where it worked until it was removed from the motherboard. Windows 10 is still installed on this drive.
0 REPLIES 0