cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z490 Intel I225-V driver bug (no connectivity on reboot)

SimselOr
Level 9
It's a well-known issue which appears to affect all Z490 chipets with the Intel I225-V 2.5Gbe NIC, not just Asus

Basically the latest driver from Intel, and which is available from most of the motherboard manufacturer sites, has a bug whereby the NIC dies on a system reboot.

The status will show cable/media disconnected and there'll be no link or activity lights on the socket.

This only happens after a soft reboot, powering off and on again will not show the problem.

You can fix it by disabling and re-enabling the interface.

The solution is to roll back the driver to an earlier version. At present the one on Windows Update (1.0.0.13) is fine.

Uninstall the NIC from device manager and opt to remove the driver too.

Reboot and allow Windows Update to locate the driver (using Wifi or an alternate NIC for connectivity).

This is being discussed in various forums but could really do with being highlighted by a more prominent site/channel like this one to give Intel a kick up the backside to get it sorted.
25 REPLIES 25

Falkentyne
Level 12
SimselOr wrote:
It's a well-known issue which appears to affect all Z490 chipets with the Intel I225-V 2.5Gbe NIC, not just Asus

Basically the latest driver from Intel, and which is available from most of the motherboard manufacturer sites, has a bug whereby the NIC dies on a system reboot.

The status will show cable/media disconnected and there'll be no link or activity lights on the socket.

This only happens after a soft reboot, powering off and on again will not show the problem.

You can fix it by disabling and re-enabling the interface.

The solution is to roll back the driver to an earlier version. At present the one on Windows Update (1.0.0.13) is fine.

Uninstall the NIC from device manager and opt to remove the driver too.

Reboot and allow Windows Update to locate the driver (using Wifi or an alternate NIC for connectivity).

This is being discussed in various forums but could really do with being highlighted by a more prominent site/channel like this one to give Intel a kick up the backside to get it sorted.

I haven't seen this problem and I'm on 1.0.0.14. Did you update the firmware to the newest one, packaged with the driver on the Asus driver support page?

SimselOr
Level 9
I tried that, but it didn't work. I start "install" as admin and get the following message after 2 Enter:

.....Updating.....

Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool
NVMUpdate version 1.35.28.1
Copyright (C) 2013 - 2020 Intel Corporation.

Error: Unknown keyword '.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binC.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binU.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binR.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binR.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binE.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binN.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binT.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin .\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binF.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binA.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binM.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binI.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binL.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binY.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin' in line 1.
Error: Cannot find markup 'CONFIG VERSION' with correct format.
Error: Cannot parse CONFIG VERSION parameter due to the mistakes in configuration file.
Das Muster für den regulären Ausdruck ".\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin" ist ungültig.
In Zeile:1 Zeichen:1
+ (gc config_i225.txt) -replace '.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin','NVM_VERSION' | ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin:String) [], RuntimeException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidRegularExpression

PS D:\Temp\Backup Apex\Treiber\I225V_Intel_Gigabit_Ethernet_Driver_V1.0.1.4_WIN10_64-bit\I225V_End_User_FW_UPDATE\I225V_End_User\win64e>

SimselOr wrote:
I tried that, but it didn't work. I start "install" as admin and get the following message after 2 Enter:

.....Updating.....

Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool
NVMUpdate version 1.35.28.1
Copyright (C) 2013 - 2020 Intel Corporation.

Error: Unknown keyword '.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binC.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binU.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binR.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binR.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binE.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binN.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binT.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin .\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binF.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binA.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binM.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binI.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binL.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.binY.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin' in line 1.
Error: Cannot find markup 'CONFIG VERSION' with correct format.
Error: Cannot parse CONFIG VERSION parameter due to the mistakes in configuration file.
Das Muster für den regulären Ausdruck ".\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin" ist ungültig.
In Zeile:1 Zeichen:1
+ (gc config_i225.txt) -replace '.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin','NVM_VERSION' | ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin:String) [], RuntimeException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidRegularExpression

PS D:\Temp\Backup Apex\Treiber\I225V_Intel_Gigabit_Ethernet_Driver_V1.0.1.4_WIN10_64-bit\I225V_End_User_FW_UPDATE\I225V_End_User\win64e>

Run install.bat as administrator please.
Also install.bat should be by itself with everything else in its own folder.

Enderwiggin03
Level 7
You might have to install the older driver version 1.0.1.3 I think to get the firmware update to work (at least I did for my wife's Z490-E).

I managed to update the firmware wiht the run intall.bat as admin on my z490-g, but for me to 1.0.0.13 is the only stable NIC driver for now.

Goofee79 wrote:
I managed to update the firmware wiht the run intall.bat as admin on my z490-g, but for me to 1.0.0.13 is the only stable NIC driver for now.

Should be fine with 1.0.1.4 after the firmware update.

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
Should be fine with 1.0.1.4 after the firmware update.

Yes you were correct, no connectivity loss on reboot anymore. Thanks!

1 install in this order

2 install Wired_driver_26.1_x64 from intel

3 then install Wired_PROSet_26.1_x64 from intel

4 Reboot

5 Ethernet controller connects on reboot

6 rollback the driver

7 check your internet speed online

8 Ethernet cable should be lit at each end

your computer should now boot to Ethernet on reboot every time

this worked for me

SimselOr
Level 9
With newest bios also the LAN firmwareupdate works. Thanks to all!