cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z490 ASUS-Apex Boot Issue

nosam1g
Level 7
So i got around to installing my new pc , here are specs to see what to determine the issue might be.
i9-10900k
2080ti EVGA FTW3 Hybrid
4500MHZ Team Group DDR4
2 m.2 Drives
-1 Corsair
-1 Samsung Evo
1200W Psu
Asus Apex MB
Win 10 Pro

I got around to making a video of the issue UPDATED* 6/14/2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWsmelm3ofg

So upon boot somtimes my screen just sits black and i have to restart the pc in order to get somewhere
Sometimes i see the rog logo and then gos black again
Sometimes i see the rog logo and 10-15 seconds later i see the Windows circles going in a loop like its loading.
This is about 45 seconds in , dont get me wrong that is not long , but with the hardware i purchased i feel something is wrong.
Once i login everything seems fine , its just when i shutdown and come back like 10 hours later and try to boot i get these weird boot up process , when it should be start forward and fast bootup.

-Also just rebooted right now and it reboots under 5 seconds but when i login to my account the nividia driver is not registered .. then i hear it connect and says G-SYNC Available .

Any info would be appreciated
40 REPLIES 40

nosam1g
Level 7
bump

1. Check your display cable if its plugged correctly, firmly.

Or:

2. This might be because of the ram. Try booting with no XMP and it will prolly work just fine.
I had a similar issue with my ram, same black screen, or lagging loading dots, etc. The ram was not stable at that freq because of a setting that the board would set really bad. It was the rtt_park value which i had to set at 48 clocks in order to get my ram stable on both channels. You should try this and lower vccio and vccsa that your mb is setting at like 1.25 and add more on vccsa if you get errors or crashes with the stock xmp profile. The "park" setting for both ram channels is located under dram timings control->skew control on my z390. Change it for both channels: CHA1 CHA0, its something like odt rtt_park, set if for both channels at 48 and it should be ok.

qlfenv wrote:
1. Check your display cable if its plugged correctly, firmly.

Or:

2. This might be because of the ram. Try booting with no XMP and it will prolly work just fine.
I had a similar issue with my ram, same black screen, or lagging loading dots, etc. The ram was not stable at that freq because of a setting that the board would set really bad. It was the rtt_park value which i had to set at 48 clocks in order to get my ram stable on both channels. You should try this and lower vccio and vccsa that your mb is setting at like 1.25 and add more on vccsa if you get errors or crashes with the stock xmp profile. The "park" setting for both ram channels is located under dram timings control->skew control on my z390. Change it for both channels: CHA1 CHA0, its something like odt rtt_park, set if for both channels at 48 and it should be ok.

whoops i meant my ram is actually rated for 4500mhz but its defaulted right now at 2400mhz

bump still have issue... actually ran overclocking and the pc runs perfect!! got my ram to 4500mhz and can play game flawlessly , and cpu 5.2ghz... everything runs fine on the pc.. its just the boot. It seems to lock up when trying to get the display driver to come online it seems.

1mluer
Level 11
I think there are bios issues right now. I can't get my Z490 Apex to shut down with windows. It boots perfectly but won't shut down. I have to turn off my powersupply at night when I go to bed.
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!

nosam1g
Level 7
I got around to making a video

nosam1g wrote:
I got around to making a video

To me it looks like a memory training issue or some kind of boot issue/instability. Do you always get the disk check like in your video?

I would try MRC FAST Boot Disable and MCH FULL Check Enable and see what happens.

bscool wrote:
To me it looks like a memory training issue or some kind of boot issue/instability. Do you always get the disk check like in your video?

I would try MRC FAST Boot Disable and MCH FULL Check Enable and see what happens.

No the disk check came after i did a Microsoft update lol . i have it turned off now.
If it was boot instability it would let me know in POST and it would not go any further. I really think its the GFX card , because the spindle loading i think it is trying to find the gfx driver before logging in. As you saw in the video it does then pick it up after i login.

Ill try ur suggestions once i get back from work. Ill try to take pictures of a lot of the tabs.. What are the main things to check .. I have built a few pcs and i have never had to change bios settings after i installed a pc. my bios is 607

When in the bios with a USB formatted to FAT 32 go to Tool, Load/Save Profile, CTR+F2
Can you explain how to do this .

nosam1g wrote:
No the disk check came after i did a Microsoft update lol . i have it turned off now.
If it was boot instability it would let me know in POST and it would not go any further. I really think its the GFX card , because the spindle loading i think it is trying to find the gfx driver before logging in. As you saw in the video it does then pick it up after i login.

Ill try ur suggestions once i get back from work. Ill try to take pictures of a lot of the tabs.. What are the main things to check .. I have built a few pcs and i have never had to change bios settings after i installed a pc. my bios is 607

When in the bios with a USB formatted to FAT 32 go to Tool, Load/Save Profile, CTR+F2
Can you explain how to do this .

You might be right, but if it was the GPU driver how would overclocking the ram fix it? Or maybe I misunderstood.

As for how to save the bios settings I don't know how to explain it better. You have a USB stick and follow those steps and it will save them to the USB as a txt file then you can post them. But it is not a big deal. Try the MRC and MCH setting and see what happens.

When you say you overclocked the ram did you just enable XMP or manually change timings and voltages? XMP over 4400 put the voltages super high. ON my APEX Xll VCCIO is 1.46 and VCSSA is 1.672 just setting XMP for the higher frequency's above 4400. That might be ok long term but I wouldn't do it.

Also when getting over 4000-4133 just enabling XMP doesn't always work. Usually I have needed to go in and make changes. Pushing 4400+ using just XMP is asking a lot. The motherboard manufacturers are not there yet from what I can see.