cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel i225 Network Adapter Drops Connection When Synology NAS Backsup Prime Z490-A

woward
Level 7
The problem is my Intel i225 Network Adapter drops its network connection every time I start a backup using a Synology NAS requiring a restart of the PC to recover the network connection.

This is a new PC with an ASUS Prime Z490-A motherboard that has an onboard Intel i225-V #2 Ethernet Controller (I’ve tried driver Version 1.0.1.4 & 1.0.0.13 and Firmware NVM Version 1.56(1.38)). The PC is running Win10 Pro (Version 1909). The PC is backed up to a Synology NAS (DS1819+) using Synology’s Active Backup for Business app. Each time the NAS attempts to back up the PC, it pauses after about 1 ½ minutes and reports it is “Waiting for a network connection.” A moment earlier the PC dropped its network connection. Win10’s network status reports “No Internet access.” In Device Manager the network adapter reports “This device is working properly.” The only way to restore the network connection is to restart the PC. Upon restarting the adapter reconnects to the network and the NAS backup resumes for a few seconds before the network connection dies and the backup pauses waiting for a connection. The problem occurs whether using a scheduled backup or a manual backup.

The issue seems to be unique to the i225 adapter. I installed a 3rd party PCIe Ethernet adapter card & using that Ethernet port the backups run perfectly.

It seems that something the Synology NAS is asking the Intel i225 to do is shutting down the adapter. The problem could be with Intel’s chip, Synology’s software or the way ASUS uses the i225 on its new Z490 motherboards.

I’m stumped and would appreciate any suggestions for a solution.
4 REPLIES 4

SonicBoy2020
Level 7
I too have Prime-Z490-A MB running the latest NIC driver(1.0.1.4) and MB firmware(0607) for the built in Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V.

I'm running a newly installed version of Win10 v2004(build 19041.329) and notice that any time I restart the system, the NIC drops and does not connect. I have to power off fully via a shutdown and power back up before the NIC comes alive.

I don't have a NAS nor am I running anything out of the ordinary other than a fresh system build.

Have ensured all drivers are installed with the latest versions and Device Manager shows no ? marks for any items.

I know other forums have recommended turning fast boot off in the Power applet in Control Panel but can't help but think that there is something not right with the drivers for this new Intel NIC.

Asus Techs, are you seeing the same as the both of us?

woward
Level 7
Sounds like our setups are pretty similar except I'm not running the latest WIN10 version. I was getting a "driver_power_state_failure" message during long restarts. Several folks online recommended turning off "Fast Startup" to fix restart problems so I did that but in didn't speed things up. Restarts still seem to take forever but afterward my i225 connection seems to always work. I built an identical PC for a friend - he isn't using ABB for backup & after updating the i225 firmware is not seeing any more dropped network connections. I will turn Fast Startup back on and see how it affects restarts. I have a support ticket started with ASUS & Synology and will post any advice they render. For now my $15 network card is saving the day...

Woward, did you make any headway with the case you raised?

Not sure if this was a Windows thing but have June 2020 Patch Tuesday, my issue with restarting Windows no longer leads to a disabled NIC.

Were you able to resolve your situation?

davibusanello
Level 7
I have the same issue after updating the drivers from Asus Support.