cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The X299-e gaming stuck in the 00 state after 3006 Update

martine-dee
Level 12
Hi all,

For some time, I was experiencing intermittent issues related to restarts from Ubuntu 16.04, which would cause either long loading times, or the mobo to get stuck in the state 00 until powered down and started again. More about that here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?116960-The-PC-often-gets-stuck-in-reboot-Loops/page2

Yesterday, I updated BIOS to the 3006 version. And, oh momma, that brought new troubles. The new MO is as this:

- If I power down the PC, and start it immediately, everything will be stable.
- If I power down the PC, and let it cool down, starting it will result in the mobo getting stuck in the 00 state. Cure: hold the power button until the box powers off, then start it again. That works fine.

This is worse than my issues before, as they were only tied to Ubuntu. Now I have this new worry as well.

I am very much interested in rolling back this BIOS update, but if I give this mobo an older BIOS, it will refuse to update and tell me that I gave it an older BIOS than the current one. Is there a way to do it?

Else, is there a setting to fix this in 3006?

Thanks for any tips!
Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating
7 REPLIES 7

restsugavan
Level 13
Checking cooling system and reseat CPU first. Sound not good. I smell RMA folk.
W11CANARY 26100.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007108 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E Modified BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 552.22 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

martine-dee
Level 12
Afaik, an attempt to downgarde BIOS through the updating interface will yield error message that the given BIOS is of the lower version.

For now things settled, but I will give it a week or two until I can tell for sure.

martine-dee
Level 12
Okay, here is the update.

I've tried a lot of things. The mobo consistently gets stuck in the 00 state when it is turned off for a few hours and then started, unless the RAM is at 2133 MHz.
To check if this is a QVL issue, I got myself an F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR set, from 'Intel Core X-Series CPU 6-core above DRAM QVL', 2017/06/29. It didn't do any good, save for a small performance gain over 3200 MHz from CMK32GX4M4A3200C16 (non-QVL).

I want to revert BIOS, but that is a different pain. The 3006 seems to be refusing anything older, with a "Selected file is not a proper BIOS!", which is bs. I am trying to downgrade it the very same way I upgraded it!

The current workaround is to always set ram to 2133 MHz before powering down, and that makes the stuff stable.

---

Updates July 7:

Well, today I tried the flashback button, and that worked. The BIOS was set to 2002. Well, that shows the same issue.

Moved the bios to 1902. Initially, it was pain to boot up, as it was also getting stuck at 00. Will test for a cold start at RAM 3600 MHz.

restsugavan
Level 13
Could you enable XMP Profile for those memory kit ?

Trying these step

1. Enter BIOS then hit F5 Load Optimized Default
2. Select overclock profile from " AUTO " to " XMP "
3. Hit F10 Save Setting and Exit
W11CANARY 26100.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007108 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E Modified BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 552.22 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

restsugavan wrote:
Could you enable XMP Profile for those memory kit ?

Trying these step

1. Enter BIOS then hit F5 Load Optimized Default
2. Select overclock profile from " AUTO " to " XMP "
3. Hit F10 Save Setting and Exit

Yeah, tried all that already (normally). And other things, such as hit F7, then pick the XMP profile off that list, or enter settings manually. That is how I OC the RAM in the first place.

I will return the F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR (already packaged), and invest the money in a new rig at some point. My mobo is past returning date, got it in September 2017.

sadly.. I just went through this.. seemed the BIOS got corrupt and it effects both bios. I had to read the board. I tried absolutely everything! Sometimes it would boot when I plugged or unplugged fan headers..

Jae30001 wrote:
sadly.. I just went through this.. seemed the BIOS got corrupt and it effects both bios. I had to read the board. I tried absolutely everything! Sometimes it would boot when I plugged or unplugged fan headers..

All is fine, as long as I do cold boot-ups at 2133 MHz ram frequency.

Therefore, I assume that the mobo isn't able to remember something in between, which indicates possibility of a dead or damaged capacitor.

That is consistent with how the whole line of those threads started. I had a 12 V power cable ill-placed into my new AE-9, and the system went through a series of shocks.

PC reboots frequently when AE-9 is in
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?113032-PC-reboots-frequently-when-AE-9-is-in

Reboots and SATA drives not detected when AE-9 is in
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?113051-Reboots-and-SATA-drives-not-detected-when-AE-9-is-i...

The PC often gets stuck in reboot Loops
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?116960-The-PC-often-gets-stuck-in-reboot-Loops

Also, by getting the same results with a QVL ram kit (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR), I confirmed effectively that this is not some QVL mambo-jambo.