cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC wont boot after power outage.

thasecretninja
Level 7
I've had a power outage last week and my fans and rgb lights would be on but nothing shows on screen. Asus motherboard displays either a q code of 04, 18, 19, or 25 after each restart, all in relation to pre-memory PCH initialization. Right after the power outage I was able to boot to desktop but dealing with endless loop of freezing and automatic restarts. Sometimes bsod. I had the chance to turn off automatic restart, run chkdsk and a 12 hour memtest86 and found no error. Now I cannot boot the pc at all.

Please help.

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero VIII
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1tb ssd + Samsung 860 Pro 2tb ssd
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHz Quad-Core
CPU cooler: Corsair H115i liquid
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB AMP! Extreme
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold
Windows 10 pro
2 REPLIES 2

RedSector73
Level 12
Q code only matters if gets stuck on them. Is that what you are saying ?

How long was power out and how old is the motherboard approx ?

edit: On re-reading your post;

Just replace the BIOS battery with a brand new name-brand battery first and see if anything changes. CR2032 is the battery.
I suspect this is the cause of all your issues - dead/dying BIOS battery.

RedSector73 wrote:
Q code only matters if gets stuck on them. Is that what you are saying ?

How long was power out and how old is the motherboard approx ?

edit: On re-reading your post;

Just replace the BIOS battery with a brand new name-brand battery first and see if anything changes. CR2032 is the battery.
I suspect this is the cause of all your issues - dead/dying BIOS battery.

The power was out for about 10 minutes. All the components I bought in 2017, except for the psu. I had a blown psu and replaced it couple of months ago. Right after the power out I was able to boot to my desktop but dealing with the restarts and freezes as I mentioned in my post. The date and time was set to the year 2080. Every time I corrected it, it reverts back to the year 2080 after the restarts. So my first thought was changing the cmos battery and I did. I was able to fix the date and time issue but still had the restart and freezing loop problem.

I followed an advice on the internet to do a clean boot and I disabled all services (including Microsoft) on msconfig. This stopped the restart loop and I think this was the time I did the memtest86 and chkdsk. I would enable one service by another followed by a manual restart trying to figure out what causes the restart loop by process of elimination. As I was doing so, the PC suddenly would'nt boot at all. The fans and the lights would be on but nothing shows on screen and the q code would be stuck on either 04, 18, 19 or 25. I tried rotating and removing the ram sticks but nothing works.