cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Hero & i9900KF high voltage setting for 5Ghz nonAVX

Gho5tComplex
Level 7
I've been trying to OC my i-9900KF to 5Ghz on my Maximus XI Hero. *Initially I wanted to go to an AVX offset of 0 but I couldn't get it stable with non throttled temps, even with my custom water cooling loop. So I went back to an AVX offset of 2, which now seems stable for AVX2 testing under OCCT, but I still struggled to get the non-AVX test to pass. I had to go all the way up to 1.39 in the bios with an LLC of 6. *Here are the values off and on load:

LLC: 6
Vcore Bios setting: 1.39
Vcore no load: 1.359
Vcore nonAVX load: 1.288 min / *1.305 avg
Asus AI has target nonAVX at 1.291.
Package Temp under load avg 79, with spikes up to 91.

This passed a 10min OCCT nonAVX test but the delta between the Bios setting and the load values seem extreme to me compared to what I'm seeing other people achieving. *Most posts and videos are showing bios settings anywhere between 1.29-1.32. *Why would I need to set a Vcore .1 over the target voltage at LLC6? Am I missing something or did I somehow loose the silicon lottery? I feel like on a custom loop 5Ghz AVX 0 should be obtainable.

Full Bios Settings:
Overclock: XMP2 - 3600
MCE - Disabled
AVX - 2
Core Ratio - 50
Uncore - 45
LLC - 6
Vcore - 1.39
VCCIO - 1.225
VCCSA - 1.225

6 REPLIES 6

metalspider
Level 7
maybe since its from when there was also the 9900KS you got a bad bin since all the good ones were going for the KS?

what vcore sensor are you reading? what program?

also llc5 is supposedly the best llc on the hero xi with the least transient spikes.
my 9900k is doing 5ghz avx 0 at 1.350v bios fixed voltage llc5 which gives me an idle voltage of 1.332v in hwinfo64.

I'm starting to think it is a bad chip.. but I'm reading the VCore in HWiNFO64 and CPUZ and they're displaying the same values.

I'm testing 1.330 with LLC 7 and with no load it's reading 1.314 avg / 1.288 min. *Under non-AVX load it's at 1.288. Assuming this test is going to crash and might need to get bumped up to 1.34. Should I be targeting the min value?

If you're thinking LLC 5 is more stable, maybe the issue is I've mainly been testing LLC 7 since that's what most of the videos I have watched were showing. However, I feel like LLC 5 would have an even larger delta.

What kind of temps are you hitting at AVX 0? *I had a stable run at 1.385V AVX0 but there was thermal throttling at 95C when the cores would spike coming off load.

So for science I used the settings you mentioned... Vcore 1.35 and LLC 5.

The Vcore with no load was at an avg 1.323, *but then under load dipped to 1.243 and then BSOD. :(*

How much of a dip are you seeing under load?*

I think I just had a small breakthrough although I don't know where to go from here.

I redid the OC loading defaults, but this time didn't enable the XMP profile. *I set AVX offset to 0 and Vcore to 1.365. *I ran 10min of OCCT AVX2 and it passed without thermal throttling. *Not only did it pass, it averaged 66C! *The Vcore under load was 1.332 so I think I could even lower the Vcore from there.

Sooo... bad ram, bad XMP profile? *Can I manually adjust what the XMP profile sets?

I'm going to try and dial in this OC without the XMP but then what's the best way to dial in the ram?

BTW, I'm using 4 sticks of Corsair Vengeance 3600 (32G).

the vdroop is normal and in fact good, under avx2 load my vcore fluctuates between 1.225v and 1.234v
ive tried llc 6 too a little but saw i just get more heat for around the same vcore under load so wasnt worth it.i've never tried 7 or 8 since those are too extreme and there are many warnings about using too aggressive a llc.

faster ram will cause a cpu OC to become unstable ,its best to first set the ram speed and timings and only then overclock the cpu.the difference in vcore needed though shouldnt be too big.

try setting svid behavior to best case scenario to see what core vid you get.those are the values programmed in the factory for your specific cpu and are a decent ballpark figure for the vcore needed under load.on my cpu vid is 1.270v and i seem stable enough with the vcore being around 0.050v less.

svid best case scenario is supposed to do the same as setting ia ac and ia dc loadlines to 0.01 mOhms
core vid is calculated from the programmed value and the ia dc loadline value.

Gho5tComplex wrote:
I think I just had a small breakthrough although I don't know where to go from here.

I redid the OC loading defaults, but this time didn't enable the XMP profile. *I set AVX offset to 0 and Vcore to 1.365. *I ran 10min of OCCT AVX2 and it passed without thermal throttling. *Not only did it pass, it averaged 66C! *The Vcore under load was 1.332 so I think I could even lower the Vcore from there.

Sooo... bad ram, bad XMP profile? *Can I manually adjust what the XMP profile sets?

I'm going to try and dial in this OC without the XMP but then what's the best way to dial in the ram?

BTW, I'm using 4 sticks of Corsair Vengeance 3600 (32G).

Using an AVX offset can cause instability in non AVX programs if an offset caused CPU downclock/upclock gets triggered by any background process that uses AVX, including windows system libraries or drivers, while a non AVX stress test or application is running. This would then require a large increase in cpu voltage to handle the transient voltage penalty happening when the clocks change like that. That's why it's suggested not to use an AVX offset unless you are fully and completely stable in non AVX.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106375-MCE-explanations-and-others&highlight=explanations