cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Formula Based PC Suddenly Super Slow

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Once when watching a movie via Netflix and the second time when playing World of Warcraft my very newly built computer with a Crosshair VIII Formula suddenly got super ridiculously slow and unresponsive, verging on frozen, but not quite. In both cases I was able to close applications. The mouse would freeze and then be okay a minute later for two seconds. Using an older keyboard with a power button on it I was then able to get the computer to shut down, maybe three minutes after hitting the power button. Then on restart the mouse and everything works fine, but then after the login screen, and after logging in, the computer is back to being super slow and nearly completely unresponsive again. After again shutting down as above, both times I then entered safe mode, and then restarted and the problem was gone after restarting again and then logging in and back into normal mode. The problem is I need a reliable computer and have no idea what the cause is or how to prevent it from happening again. Any help would rock. Maybe this is a Windows problem, but I have no idea Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11

RedSector73
Level 12
What version of windows are you on {CMD} then {VER} ?

It sounds like sonic may be the issue. Do you use sonic radar with the game ?

RedSector73 wrote:
What version of windows are you on {CMD} then {VER} ?

It sounds like sonic may be the issue. Do you use sonic radar with the game ?

On my other machines I have been prompted to install and have installed Windows 2004, but oddly not on this machine. It's still on 1909.

As for Sonic, not possible as it has never been installed on the rig or used.

Without a definitive fix, I think I am just gonna bench the rig until 2004 is available for it. It seems likely to be a software issue--some conflict or something--this stuff is usually Windows, I think--but then you can't be sure.

Anyhow, thanks for your reply. If you have any more or other suggestions, great. Thanks again. 😄

xeizo
Level 12
When I have had similar issues in the past, one of the harddrives was starting failing
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

You can run this commands to check windows critical files are all correct.

run as admin [powershell] (type into search bar, when you see it pop up, right click on it and run as admin)

sfc /scannow

wait till complete
now run (still in powershell)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

wait till complete

if either found and fix integrity errors or corruptions, reboot and then repeat both steps again.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
What is puzzling is that after this problem kicks in suddenly, then the problem goes away after shut down and then starting and before logging in. So on the screen before logging in everything is then fine. But then after logging in the problem is back. Also, it is strange that this happens, the following: If before logging in you simply not log in at that point, but then restart and go to safe mode, and then do nothing in safe mode and then just simply shut down at that point then the system somehow resets and the problem goes away. If you do this then the problem is gone. Hence, it has to be a software problem, not a hardware one. Some process is altering how the system works, which is causing the problem. Anyhow thanks. I am just going to continue to use a different computer for now, and I am just going to download 2004 when prompted--which hopefully fixes the problem.

RedSector73 wrote:
Windows 2004 direct links they are available here:

64-Bit
https://software-download.microsoft.com/db/Win10_2004_English_x64.iso?t=006202fc-2b68-4395-b7b3-bb63...

32-Bit
https://software-download.microsoft.com/db/Win10_2004_English_x32.iso?t=006202fc-2b68-4395-b7b3-bb63...

Thanks for these links. What puzzles me is I have a laptop and another Asus build and in both cases Windows Update prompted the 2004 download, but with this Crosshair VIII build, that is not the case.

Anyhow, thanks.

meh, that's microsoft for ya.

mine went ryzen 4000 series laptop, ch6, nothing for ch8 or the b350m had to manually do both (that's how I found the links.)

Super Gnome wrote:
What is puzzling is that after this problem kicks in suddenly, then the problem goes away after shut down and then starting and before logging in. So on the screen before logging in everything is then fine. But then after logging in the problem is back. Also, it is strange that this happens, the following: If before logging in you simply not log in at that point, but then restart and go to safe mode, and then do nothing in safe mode and then just simply shut down at that point then the system somehow resets and the problem goes away. If you do this then the problem is gone. Hence, it has to be a software problem, not a hardware one. Some process is altering how the system works, which is causing the problem. Anyhow thanks. I am just going to continue to use a different computer for now, and I am just going to download 2004 when prompted--which hopefully fixes the problem.

What network connection are you using?
For me, switching to the intel connection solved it....
Wifi I hardly use, and the Aquanta is troublesome
XII