cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zephyrus M - GPU Unuseable

mlbarnes
Level 7
I've had a ROG Zephyrus M GM501 for nearly a year now and had it crunching Folding at Home data to save us all from coronavirus!
I then came to use it one day and realised it was showing a blue screen error - I forget exactly what the original one was.
It would not reboot in any fashion although I must admit I never tried safemode at that time.
I tried every recovery option but nothing worked, so I reinstalled Windows,
The moment the display drivers were installed I had the same problem again.
I tried cleaning both HDDs in DiskPART and reseting BIOS to defaults then reinstalled again.
Same problem.
It boots in safemode, but every time I try to initialise the NVidia 1070, I get a Blue screen error (Bad Pool Header).
When I look in device manager, immediately after Windows install it has an error on the GPU - Code 43 - disabled because the device was not responding properly.
I'm wondering if this is a hardware fault, but I have seen a few threads about similar issues resolved in one way or another (mostly the above!).
Any other thoughts / ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

Blake1
Level 10
Hello mlbarnes,
May you check if your BIOS is updated as well?
https://www.asus.com/tw/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-M-GM501/HelpDesk_Download/
Thank you.

Blake@ASUS wrote:
Hello mlbarnes,
May you check if your BIOS is updated as well?

Thanks Blake, yes, fully updated BIOS (314) reset to defaults.

I tried to get a driver working - using a few different versions.
I tried installation through the windows installer, and the latest downloaded versions from both Asus and nVidia as well as attempting to fully reset things using Wagnardsoft Display Driver Uninstaller.
I fully ‘cleaned’ both drives in DISKPART.
I have installed all Asus software that seems appropriate (using the Asus Update App - not the MS Store one which does not support this model).
Certainly the BIOS, Chipset and Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework.
I have installed all the recommended Windows updates - Windows 10 Pro.
At points, to do this, I have had to boot into safe mode to disable the installed GPU driver - otherwise it causes a BlueScreen ‘BAD POOL HEADER”.

I'm thinking this is hardware?

Blake1
Level 10
Hello mlbarnes,
Please kindly backup the data and send your device to service center for further examination.
Thank you so much.