cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new Maximus XII Apex won't shut down with windows

1mluer
Level 11
Hey Guys,

I was posting this to see if anyone has any thoughts on it. I loaded up my new Maximus XII Apex today and got it setup and running well. Easy as always. I go to shut down the machine via windows and boom problem. Windows will shut down. The motherboard looks like it cycles down and the QCode shows 00. I think the system thinks it shut down but in reality all the fans start speeding up most of the system looks live because of it.

I do notice some usb devices do shut down such as my Ryujin 360 goes dark like it should. Additionally the gskill RAM goes dark too like normal. The Riing Plus fans stay on and the RGB is lit up as well as the Ryujin fans it seems are still run.

I cleared CMOS and upgraded bios to 0607 which was recently released. Still the same thing. I am still troubleshooting without luck so far eliminating non essential connected devices. No luck so far. I have a ASUS Thor 1200P power supply so I know that is good.

I am not sure what the QFAN stuff is all about but it's all disabled. Armory Crate loaded with the new windows and seems to be running great loading all devices and is easily configured and saved.
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!
38 REPLIES 38

Braegnok
Level 14
Try going into Windows Power Options, and if fast startup is enabled than disable it, that might be issue.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Braegnok wrote:
Try going into Windows Power Options, and if fast startup is enabled than disable it, that might be issue.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Ok I tired shutting down this setting. The system still has many fans including the Matrix 2080 ti fans spinning up to about 100% when shutting down. I have built all of machines since 1987. This one is acting very weird like it's a BIO issue or something. several parts of the mother board do shut down and some parts don't shut down.
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer
Level 11
I made a video of what it's doing.

i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

This happened to me once years ago. After checking everything as you did it turned out to be the either the power supply or perhaps the 24 pin cable or connector. I swapped in a different power supply and the problem was immediately corrected. Hope that isn't the case for you but a possibility worth checking in to.

i9 12900k + Asus Maximus Z690 Apex + EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000l XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK+ Samsung 870 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Fractal Meshify 2 XL case
Ek Velocity 2 CPU block, Ek GPU block
Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
LG 38GL950G Monitor +
Windows 10 Pro

1mluer wrote:
I made a video of what it's doing.

Do you have another power supply you can get access to and try?
This seems power or USB related or something plugged into somewhere.
I saw my MSI laptop do this a few times. Very rarely, almost never but it happened.
And I remember it only happening when I had some USB device plugged in beforehand and I forgot what it was,
but it didn't happen on the very next boot even with that same device...

But yes maybe it's inconvenient but try to get access to another PSU to test (Even if you have to buy and RMA).

Another thing you can try:
Try unplugging all of the RGB (cough) headers from the motherboard so only RAM and other "passive self powered" non-addressable RGB is left connected. So no RGB fans and etc. Remove all of the onboard RGB connector cable stuff, then see if it happens.

SimselOr
Level 9
Had the same problem...
Did you overclock the CPU cache? Could solve it with this (down from 5200 to 5000). Did you flash the network card?

Greetings

Simsel

SimselOr wrote:
Had the same problem...
Did you overclock the CPU cache? Could solve it with this (down from 5200 to 5000). Did you flash the network card?

Greetings

Simsel

the network card is the ASUS XG-C100C 10g nic. I haven't flashed it and I don't see a flash for it anywhere on site. Either way I took that card completely and plugged in the onboard 2.5g NIC.. Didn't change.
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer
Level 11
I currently dont have it over clocked at all. the Thor 1200p was working perfect just 30 minutes prior when I pulled out the Z390 and put in the Z490. I can check the 24 pin connector again..
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

Shamino
presumming u dont have 2 power supplies, eg additional one feeding power into vga or any other components:

power is leaking in from somewhere-> possible sustpects -> monitor via the cables. try just unplugging the cables while shutting down
or some other peripherals that has its own power