cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop recommendation (premium, not loud, powerful..)

Alpha_Scorpii
Level 7
I am looking to replace my Asus N550JV that I had for the past 7 years with something new. N550 was great, I loved the silver keyboard, laptop being pretty quiet and never any problems. It really served me well. I use laptop for work, 10h+ a day, many apps at once and sometimes I use one app that can use up to 16 threads. Most of the time laptop is in light load though (many apps + chrome with 1080p60 video). N550 have problems with this.. CPU and GPU work too much and it starts to throttle, everything becomes laggy. Didn't have those problems on my Ryzen 2700x desktop.

I would like 8/16 cpu but might settle for 6/12. Prefer 17" over smaller. Really prefer Asus since I was so satasfied with N550 and since I was young, it was trustful brand. Need reliable laptop as I travel and don't have time to wait for laptop. If there was GX701 with "normal" keyboard, that would be my first pick but since there is not, here are my favourites:

Zephyrus GX502 2019 (i7-9750h, 16gb, RTX2060) ~1900 euro
+ looks premium and good quality, AAS cooling
- 15", hot and loud (?)

Scar 17 2020 (i7-10875, 16gb, RTX2060) ~1800 euro
+ 17", + 8/16 cpu, cheaper then others
- "plastic/gamery look", less premium, lack of reviews (not sure about noise)

Zephyrus G14 (any conf) ~1600-2000 euro
+ premium, 9/16 cpu, good reviews
- hot and loud, 14", not sure about color.. would prefer dark lid with silver keyboard

Zephyrus GX502 2020 with 8/16 cpu would be nice but it's just too expensive.
I will be buying in europe (most probably order from germany), would like to stay up to 2500€. Feel kinda impatient but could wait until october.. after that I travel so need to have new laptop.

Thoughts?
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
You didn't really say how much you'd be gaming but maybe also consider the ASUS-TUF-Gaming-A17? The Ryzen 4000 series notebooks are looking pretty nice.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Alpha_Scorpii
Level 7
I wouldn't be gaming at all probably. I think TUF-gaming is less premium then what I'm looking for + read that display is not so great

xeromist
If you won't be gaming then I would look for something without a discrete GPU unless you need GPU acceleration for something. Integrated graphics are getting much better to where productivity tasks and media consumption are just fine. Going with integrated should mean quieter and more power efficient. Also a lot of business oriented machines without discrete graphics have more of the premium look you are requesting. Not paying for the extra GPU will also mean more budget for other features you might want.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Alpha_Scorpii
Level 7
All the strongest CPU come with GPU so that's my only option.
I saw picture of new Zephyrus M15 prism gray yesterday and I want it! Hopefully it will be available in Europe soon.