cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z490 ROG Strix-E: No vrm fan control

MassExit
Level 7
Ok so specifically the issue is this, The included VRM fan doesn’t work when connected to the vrm_hs_fan header on the motherboard.
What I have done so far, and I’m doing this from memory while at work so i don’t recall the exact paths or names of some of these things so I apologize in advance. *
*Updated to latest Bios
Verified fan functionality on different header
Verified *AI cooling features are disabled*
*Attempted to Set manual fan settings in bios, ie 100% but it doesn’t populate as option to change in QFan.
*The Bios does recognize the header on a page where you can set it to either “Ignore or Monitor”, but only states “N/A” when monitoring.
I installed AI Suite 3 I belive it’s called from armory crate and this program see’s the *vrm_hs_fan header but I still cannot get it to turn on.

*At this point i feel like it’s a bugged policy or setting that’s set to only turn on at a set degree or temperature and that’s why I cannot get it to change, at least that’s my theory. That or I’m simply missing a Bios page and it’s an easy fix.Any help would be greatly appreciated, Im hoping it’s just that I’m new to ASUS boards as I’ve ran gigabyte for last build but decided to buy 2 of these for mine and my wife’s z490 builds however her processor isn’t arriving till next Monday so I can’t confirm same issue on hers. However, someone else also has this issue on Toms Hardware forums but hasn’t gotten it solved yet *so I’m hoping to link this thread when we figure it out.*

*Cheers **
26 REPLIES 26

m4ttjirm
Level 7
I thought this was a DC header and you can't control speed on it? Mine plugged in and it just runs at 100%, it is just a 3 pin fan so you shouldn't have full PWM control over it.

Try the stock bios settings again and just turn on your XMP memory speeds. See if it gives the fan 100%

Worst case scenario can you just run it in a diff fan header and have it scale to CPU temp?

m4ttjirm wrote:
I thought this was a DC header and you can't control speed on it? Mine plugged in and it just runs at 100%, it is just a 3 pin fan so you shouldn't have full PWM control over it.

Try the stock bios settings again and just turn on your XMP memory speeds. See if it gives the fan 100%

Worst case scenario can you just run it in a diff fan header and have it scale to CPU temp?

First i want to say thanks of taking time to reply, because all help is appreciated because my next words are straight and to the point.

It is a 4 pin.
I've flashed the bios 3 times.
Running this fan to a different header would work, however that doesn't address my issue of a header not working on a brand new board. It's a brand new board and I'll send it back before it do that. 🙂

Newegg has my wife's i9-10900K charted for Tuesday arrival. I'll test out her's then and see if it works.

What you're saying is you also own a z490 Strix-E gaming motherboard and have the included vrm fan plugged in to the vrm_hs_fan header and it works correct? I just noticed that the mods moved my post to the z370/z390 thread possibly for exposure when i had this posted to Hardware and Software Support.

Thanks,
-Mass

MassExit wrote:
First i want to say thanks of taking time to reply, because all help is appreciated because my next words are straight and to the point.

It is a 4 pin.
I've flashed the bios 3 times.
Running this fan to a different header would work, however that doesn't address my issue of a header not working on a brand new board. It's a brand new board and I'll send it back before it do that. 🙂

Newegg has my wife's i9-10900K charted for Tuesday arrival. I'll test out her's then and see if it works.

What you're saying is you also own a z490 Strix-E gaming motherboard and have the included vrm fan plugged in to the vrm_hs_fan header and it works correct? I just noticed that the mods moved my post to the z370/z390 thread possibly for exposure when i had this posted to Hardware and Software Support.

Thanks,
-Mass

I am having the same issue and haven't been able to figure it out. I have the fan plugged into CHA-FAN1 right now and it's fine but I would like to use the VRM fan header. Were you able to figure it out?

SirBubby wrote:
I am having the same issue and haven't been able to figure it out. I have the fan plugged into CHA-FAN1 right now and it's fine but I would like to use the VRM fan header. Were you able to figure it out?

I have not.

I called ASUS tech support and was informed they would create an escalated ticket for me and respond with 72 hrs. They have not contacted me and it’s been a week as of today.*

MassExit wrote:
I have not.

I called ASUS tech support and was informed they would create an escalated ticket for me and respond with 72 hrs. They have not contacted me and it’s been a week as of today.*

Here is what they sent me today... not that helpful. I'm assuming it kicks on when the VRM's get too hot.

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Product Support.
My name is John L. from Level 2 support and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

I am writing this email to provide you an update about your ongoing case. According to our engineers, We don't allow VRM fan to be control as default. The fan is smart and detects temperature and change rpm accordingly.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us again for assistance. Thank you for choosing ASUS Product and Services."

SirBubby wrote:
Here is what they sent me today... not that helpful. I'm assuming it kicks on when the VRM's get too hot.

My name is John L. from Level 2 support and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

I am writing this email to provide you an update about your ongoing case. According to our engineers, We don't allow VRM fan to be control as default. The fan is smart and detects temperature and change rpm accordingly.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us again for assistance. Thank you for choosing ASUS Product and Services."

Suspicions confirmed then. Thanks.

Recently I have bought the z490-E and I have the Claymore core keyboard. How I can wake up the PC with the keyboard, I can´t find the option in the BIOS (0607).

MassExit wrote:
Suspicions confirmed then. Thanks.

I think it's BS. I ran a 15 minute stress test on Intels Extreme Tuning Utility and the fan never came on. Keep in mind my chip is overclocked as well meaning there's even more heat compared to a stock cpu/board.

SirBubby wrote:

GObonzo wrote:
try and get the support rep to give you some more info, like at what temp exactly the fan is supposed to kick in...

i would continue the conversation with support and see if they have any more helpful info to provide or if they will just initiate an RMA.

if you can get your VRM temps to a "hot" temperature and the fans still do not spin up i would consider it defective. whether that's a design flaw or an actual device failure, ??

the reply you got seems more like a generic response to this type of issue than any real support. normally they should be offering some way to help determine if there really is an issue, not just blowing you off saying "that's how it works".
ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming | i7-11700K \ ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 | G.Skill TridentZ 3466 CL14 32GB | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti | M2: 960GB \ SSDs: 5TB \ HDs: 16TB | Super Flower Leadex III 850w | Fractal Design Vector RS Blackout \ 5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High-Speed PWM | Logitech G600 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB | Xbox One S Gamepad | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | Anker Soundcore Life Q20 | 34" Alienware AW3420DW \ 55" LG CX OLED | Windows 10 Pro x64