Intel Core i7-6700K
Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Gaming Mainboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cooler
Asus Strix-R9390-DC3OC-8GD5-GAMING
Intel 520 Series 120GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB
Samsung 970 EVO 2TB
Kingston HyperX DDR4 2400 C12 2x8GB

I've had this machine for 4 years with the exception of the EVO which I got 2 months ago. 2 days ago the system refused to boot giving code 55.
I removed one of the dimms and got the same. Used the second dimm on slot A1 and got the same problem.
I used the first black slot (B1) instead and the system went on constant reboots. After 6 reboots I stopped.

The other two slots A2 and B2 work fine. The system boots and shows 16 GB of RAM, but I don't have dual channel, so I'd like to fix the other two slots, or at least one of them.

Removed ALL drives, all usb devices, replaced the cooler and CPU (twice), disabled all onboard devices, Asmedia USB 3.0, Intel LAN, Realtec Audio, nothing worked, same code 55 on A1, same constant reboots on B1.

I cleared CMOS, removed the battery, nothing seems to be working.

Side note: when I use A2+B2 the system takes a very long time to reach the Asus logo, the code are changing constantly (stays on code 72 for a long time) and the LED next to the CPU power cable is white. After that the LED is orange, the code gets to 99 and the Asus Logo appears. It takes 10 seconds after that to boot into Windows. Maybe this is related?

With A2+B2 (with the exception of RAM speed) the system works perfectly, so I'm not sure what other issues are there.

Forum turned my post into gibberish when I clicked save...
16 REPLIES 16

RedSector73
Level 12
Replace the BIOS battery with name brand one. CR2032

New battery, same issue I'm afraid. Any other ideas?

Hi, sorry to hear the battery didn't fix, sometimes when stuff starts happening apparently for no reason this is the fix. Which is why I thought it is worth a shot, and they are not expensive to try first.

The new evo, is it m2 device or an sdd ?

Qcode 55 is Memory not installed.
There is suggested advice here http://www.asusqcodes.com/index.php?inputCode=55 about how to fix.

Hope you find this of help.

RedSector73 wrote:
Hi, sorry to hear the battery didn't fix, sometimes when stuff starts happening apparently for no reason this is the fix. Which is why I thought it is worth a shot, and they are not expensive to try first.

The new evo, is it m2 device or an sdd ?

Qcode 55 is Memory not installed.
There is suggested advice here http://www.asusqcodes.com/index.php?inputCode=55 about how to fix.

Hope you find this of help.

The new evo is m.2

Unfortunately I already tried booting without any drive connected and no luck. Now to make sure the cooler wasn't the issue I tried booting without having the cooler attached at all, only barely placed on top of the CPU, without using the screws. It didn't boot either, still getting code 55

I'm really at a loss here and don't know what to do anymore

On my VIII Gene, VIII Formula, and VIII Extreme Assembly I found out the best BIOS was 2202 with an I7-6700K. Any other BIOS above 2202 randomly give Q-Code 55 out of nowhere after working so well. I am using a different memory than yours though. I am using G-Skill f4-3600C17Q-16GVK memory.

On my IX Extreme G-Skill f4-3600C17Q-16GVK is on the ASUS QVL and I have an I7-7700K installed with the latest Bios 1301. Moreover, it works, but I get a random Q-Code 55 like you. However, G-Skill does not list the G-Skill f4-3600C17Q-16GVK memory as being compatible with the IX Extreme. Therefore, I brought the G-Skill F4-3600C19Q-32GTZRB memory and never encounter a Q-Code 55 on the IX Extreme since.

For me G-Skill f4-3600C17Q-16GVK memory will not work on the IX Apex (not on ASUS QVL or G-Skill QVL, Q-Code 55), but G-Skill F4-3600C19Q-32GTZRB memory does (well one or two sticks, max. is two).

So, try BIOS 2202, I hope it works for you as it did for me. Something went wrong when ASUS tried to make the Z170 into a Z270 or tried to make a Z270 into a Z170. I could be wrong!

Sorry for the late reply. I updated the bios to the latest version but still the same problem exist, now I think the problem is with the motherboard, a hardware issue. What I find the most surprising is that benchmarks and gaming isn't affected much (only due to lower memory bandwidth), the PC works fine, it's only boot times that are insane high

My "Bios Time" reported in task manager is 37 seconds on average

Can you download HWinfo https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
and check on the summary page the circled in red is green / not grey <--both being green is typically the fastest settings for Nvme.

If only one or none are green then follow this ->
Enter BIOS
find CSM as it maybe Enabled - If enabled, Disable it and reboot.
Enter BIOS
You will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive / boot drive or already does.
Click on secure boot and set it to Windows UEFI mode.
Click on key management and install default secure boot keys.
Reboot

If both are green then try this ->
run as admin [powershell] (type into search bar, when you see it pop up, right click on it and run as admin)

sfc /scannow

wait till complete
now run (still in powershell)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

wait till complete

if either found and fix integrity errors or corruptions, reboot and then repeat both steps in powershell again. This fixes anything damaged in windows 10 install, critical to it working correctly. This may also help improve boot speed issue. if you get caught in loop greater than twice of fixing integrity errors or corruptions it indicates a big issue with windows 10 and time for reset or fresh install.

With any BIOS above 2202 with an I7-6700K on my ASUS VIII Z170 motherboards, I also noticed an increase of BIOS boot time of approximately 13 to 23 seconds, which is about the BIOS time you are getting.

With BIOS 2202 on VIII Formula:

Lied to me, It took 23 seconds from pressing the power button, but Event ID states Total Time approximately 12 seconds.

Anyway, with any BIOS above 2202 with an I7-6700K on my VIII motherboards, I noticed an increase of BIOS boot time of approximately 15 to 23 seconds too, but I never get a random Q-code 55 out of nowhere with BIOS 2202.

However, if you want to increase your memory bandwidth with the latest BIOs you might want/have to upgrade to an I7-7700K.

Now we are getting somewhere.

Both settings aren't green, will check CSM and Windows Secure Boot now.

My BIOS time from task manager:

I also got this message when I run hardware info:

I noticed that when I go into the monitoring tab in BIOS it lags horribly, same when using AI Suite to monitor fan speeds, the entire program becomes unresponsive. Is it possible to disable ASUS EC? Maybe it's the one causing the boot slowdowns?