cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3990X, Zenith II Extreme and BIOS version 1101

IxelIxel
Level 7
Just wondering if anyone's tested the latest version of the BIOS for the Zenith II Extreme, with a 3990X CPU? If so is it more crippled than the older versions or actually an improvement?
6 REPLIES 6

dimsy
Level 7
It's actually lot better on Alpha II

IxelIxel wrote:
Just wondering if anyone's tested the latest version of the BIOS for the Zenith II Extreme, with a 3990X CPU? If so is it more crippled than the older versions or actually an improvement?

dimsy wrote:
It's actually lot better on Alpha II

I see.

Yes I heard the Alpha is better now but I'm not willing to hand out the full RRP for another motherboard again when the Alpha wasn't available at the time I purchased the 3990X. If ASUS were to do an exchange of some kind, where I pay less than full RRP to essentially upgrade to the Alpha, depending on how much less it would be then I might be fine with that. As they don't have such an offer, sadly, I'm sticking with the standard variant of the motherboard.

I looked at another forum regarding discussion of the 1101 BIOS and it looks like ASUS have not only made it difficult to downgrade back to an older version of the BIOS if one wishes to do so, but apparently BIOS version 1101 for the standard variant of the motherboard is possibly also worse than previous versions of the BIOS (at least perhaps if you're using a 3990X CPU). I'll currently be avoiding upgrading the BIOS unless there's other news that's generally positive. I'll stick with the original BIOS that the motherboard came with until then, as it seems the least crippled and best performing one in my experience to date.

Oh, I didn't know that they are crippling the bios. At least on the Alpha is much more stable. Just a question.

What should be set on the dimm..2 settings to get the best performance?

dayjob
Level 9
I found zero difference so far for me on the ZIIe Alpha using 1101. No difference from the previous bios version but at least I remain stable.

Tux-box1
Level 7
I must be missing something, what's crippled?
I'm runing the ZEA2 with 3990x and the only issue I have is how thick the MB is, I had to midify my standoff's for the thing not to bind against the case. This caused some boot issues for me at first, once I pulled the board and ran it on the box the problem went away. This led me to increase the sandoff distance by adding some of those paper washer spacers that used to come with computer cases. I have loads of these laying around over the years.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The Zenith II Extreme is not the Zenith II Extreme ALPHA

The ZIIE still does not fully support the 3990X...i.e. RAM still only runs stock