cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest CH8 bios unstable (bios version 2010)

ffletchs
Level 10
Hi,
my system has been rock stable since I bought it at release, running 3733 with dram calculator settings

yesterday I installed 2010 bios and system is unstable, even at stock settings (load optimized defaults), also tried DOCP, and manually setting to dram calculator settings.

ended up reverting back to 1302 bios and system is back to normal

specs are
AMD Ryzen 3900x * Nvidia GTX 2080 Ti * Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero * 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @3733MHz
Watercooled * CaseLabs T10 * Corsair HX 1200i * LG 34GK950F @144Hz (34" 21:9) * Windows 10 Ent x64

memory is CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 32GB (4x 8GB)

anyone else have issues with CH8 and 2010 bios?
13 REPLIES 13

rbmorse
Level 7
No problem here, I updated to 2010 without any issues.

rbmorse wrote:
No problem here, I updated to 2010 without any issues.

I update mine too and work a lot more stable than latest bios.

Phynellius
Level 7
ffletchs wrote:
Hi,
my system has been rock stable since I bought it at release, running 3733 with dram calculator settings

yesterday I installed 2010 bios and system is unstable, even at stock settings (load optimized defaults), also tried DOCP, and manually setting to dram calculator settings.

ended up reverting back to 1302 bios and system is back to normal

anyone else have issues with CH8 and 2010 bios?

I'm on the Formula board variant and after this bios update my system has been extremely unstable to the point of crashing/rebooting from the BIOS

The system was rather solid before this point so I'm currently holding the BIOS solely responsible for my issues, but I'll be testing with a different power supply soon.

Unfortunately I can't roll back the bios on the Formula because they cut rollbacks on it for some reason. Kind of pissed, probably be calling Asus support and chewing them out.

My Build:
3950X
4 x 8 GSkill F4-3600C14-8GTZN
Reference 5700XT + Waterblock

Phynellius wrote:
I'm on the Formula board variant and after this bios update my system has been extremely unstable to the point of crashing/rebooting from the BIOS

The system was rather solid before this point so I'm currently holding the BIOS solely responsible for my issues, but I'll be testing with a different power supply soon.

Unfortunately I can't roll back the bios on the Formula because they cut rollbacks on it for some reason. Kind of pissed, probably be calling Asus support and chewing them out.

My Build:
3950X
4 x 8 GSkill F4-3600C14-8GTZN
Reference 5700XT + Waterblock

No way to roll back the BIOS even with Flashback option?

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

Baio73 wrote:
No way to roll back the BIOS even with Flashback option?

Baio

Honestly I hadn't been trying the BIOS Flashback tool because I've never had it work properly in the past, typically I just update the BIOS/UEFI from the UEFI itself... but for some reason this time it let me roll back and bypass the bios block. If this solves my stability issue I'll be waiting for them to get their act together on that bios update before attempting it again. It's too bad that the 2010 update is a bit busted, PBO behaviour was different so I was getting more multi and single core performance with it. Must have been pushing something too hard though for it to have such a stability issue.

I've been having issues too with my C8H on 2010.

I updated shortly after it came out and almost immediately started having issues. I quickly determined it was memory-related. I couldn't run my memory at the XMP profile without hard crash reboots. I had G.Skill 3200 F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX RAM installed. After some tweaking I was finally able to get stability at 2800 with auto timings. I looked it up and realized that memory wasn't on the QVL for the motherboard. I viewed this as an opportunity to get some 3600 b-die memory I've been wanting. So I purchased F4-3600C16D-32GTZR thinking this would solve the problem.

When I got the new memory I installed I and realized that I wasn't out of the woods. I was still experiencing memory-related issues. I couldn't get stability at anything above 3200 with auto timings. At this point I decided to try the BIOS flashback option and honestly I wish I would have done it sooner. It was super simple and painless. So now I'm back on 1302 and stable with my new memory at 3600 XMP.

ASUS promised enhanced memory stability with the new release. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Phynellius wrote:
Honestly I hadn't been trying the BIOS Flashback tool because I've never had it work properly in the past, typically I just update the BIOS/UEFI from the UEFI itself... but for some reason this time it let me roll back and bypass the bios block. If this solves my stability issue I'll be waiting for them to get their act together on that bios update before attempting it again. It's too bad that the 2010 update is a bit busted, PBO behaviour was different so I was getting more multi and single core performance with it. Must have been pushing something too hard though for it to have such a stability issue.

Flashback just needs a FAT32 USB stick with the file correctly named (the name depends on the mobo model, for example is C8F.CAP for Formula version).
If it does not work, you could have a faulty board.

Flashback method is the best way to flash, UEFI method is potentially more dangerous.

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

3900x
EVGA 2080ti FTW3
16GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GTZN

I have problems with booting up after updating bios to 2010. I know it has to do with memory issues. I am unable to boot into desktop if I use the DOCP profile for my ram. If I leave it on auto settings(No DOCP Profile enable) it boots fine. From the few times that I did manage to reach the desktop with DOCP profile settings turned on the computer only lasted about 30 seconds before it shuts down and restarts. I had no issues with the past few bios running the DOCP profile for my ram and running stable. I took the opportunity to try overclocking, improving memory timings with the Ryzen DRAM calculator, though I didnt overclock higher, just still kept it at 3600mhz but with improved memory timings. That has been stable for me. I want to post my Ryzen DRAM calculator settings to show what I used but im not allowed to upload the screenshot of it.

2103 is now listed on the official ASUS US site. I'm going to update tomorrow to see if the issues present in 2010 are still there.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Hero/HelpDesk_BIOS/