Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    LOL....are you referring to 8.0 GT/s spec? If so, that's true. That's why I said it "operates at PCIe 3.0 specs."

But, officially speaking, X79/SB-E is only PCI 2.0 Sorry.
    This is the very latest X79/SB-E diagram. It's pretty clear.

Sorry. Please check your facts again. Intel began spinning 8.0 GT/s capable test silicon before PCI-SIG even concluded on the PCIe 3.0 specs. The card manufacturers were way behind the curve. Furthermore without any PCIe 3.0 hardware in existence well in advance of launch, X79/SB-E could not validated officially at PCIe 3.0.

Rumor has it that X79 "might" be officially validated at PCIe3.0 some time this year. Until then, it is PCIe 2.0 that runs at 8.0 GT/s.

If you can find any official Intel Whitepapers that claim X79 or SB-E to be Officially PCIe 3.0 validated, please do share it.

You are confused with "testing and validation" verses "compliance certification".

Example: Nvidia GTX 680, ATI 7970, Intel 3960x, Asus R4E has all been tested and validation of thier PCIe 3.0 designs.
    And as far as I know, NOBODYS PCIe 3.0 design has been yet "Officially PCIe 3.0 CERTIFIED"

PCIe 3.0 hardware such as a ATI 7970 Video card IS NOT NEEDED for testing and validation of a 3.0 PCIe design.

The "official" Diagram you posted is soley ment to help children to understand what connects to what.
    What IS "official" is the link to the datasheet I have posted here: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc...heet-vol-1.pdf READ 1.2.2

Banned Array

Although X79 is not "officially" PCIe 3.0 compliant, it has full capability to be so.
    More false information.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

Quote Originally Posted by Take it Upstairs View Post
    The "official" Diagram you posted is soley ment to help children to understand what connects to what.
    What IS "official" is the link to the datasheet I have posted here: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc...heet-vol-1.pdf READ 1.2.2
    I did. No where does it say PCIe 3.0.

All Sandy Bridge Extreme Processor and X79 data sheets clearly state the PCI Express Revision is 2.0

Please share where Intel states that SB-E/X79 is PCIe 3.0.

mdzcpa PC Specs
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    OS WIN 10 Pro

Thinking about my original post that seemed to get "Take It" all worked up, I went back a pulled some content from the SB-E launch that clearly explains my position on the matter, and why it may not be shocking that some GPU vendors are "working the bugs out" of thier PCIe 3.0 compatibility (cough..Nvidia...cough).

Rather than site every credible launch review out there, I pulled this from TechReport:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21987

One of those concessions involves the 40 lanes of PCI Express connectivity built into the processor. The incorporation of PCIe directly onto the CPU is a topology change; the X58 chipset played host to the PCIe lanes in the prior-gen platform. Moving this I/O onto the processor die ought to reduce latency and has the potential, at last, to allow superior multi-GPU performance in Intel's high-end platform. However, you'll notice that Intel claims Sandy-Bridge-E is capable of supporting "PCI Express 2.0 graphics," in spite of the fact that this chip was expected to support the next-generation PCI Express 3.0 standard. The reality is that Sandy Bridge-E and its supporting motherboards should technically meet the requirements of the PCIe 3.0 specification. However, the rest of the world doesn't yet have enough PCIe 3.0-capable devices ready to roll. Without access to GPUs and other chips with PCIe 3.0 connectivity to test against, Intel isn't ready to make robust claims about this platform's PCIe 3.0 support right now.

We should see PCIe 3.0-capable graphics processors hitting the market late this year or early next, based on the latest scuttlebutt. Once that happens, we think the likelihood is that most or all PCIe 3.0-capable GPUs will be able to achieve PCIe 3.0 transfer rates when plugged into a Sandy Bridge-E system. Of course, it's also possible there could be an interoperability snag that would prevent that from happening, which is the reason for Intel's caution in making claims about this product's feature set.

Here is an official Intel launch slide. Notice the note at the bottom of the slide:

To the date of this post, Intel still does not advertise official support for PCIe 3.0 (Gen 3) speeds of SB-E/X79.

Take It, you are getting all worked up and frothy over this, but I'm not sure why. Everything I have said is true. We both know that Intel has "built in" support for Gen 3 PCIe speeds into SB-E. We know that the PCIe lanes are "capable" of Gen 3 speeds. But it's hard to argue that Intel was never confident enough to advertise PCIe 3.0 support at launch. And nothing in the current materials has changed that. Perhaps when more PCIE 3.0 hardware is out there, they will complete validation and actually step up and advertise PCIe 3.0 support.

If you or anyone could post a link to any official Intel claims of PCIe 3.0 support, that would be swell.

Banned Array

In my manual that came with my 3960x stated PCI 3.0

And right here, the 3960x twin brother: http://ark.intel.com/products/64620/...GTs-Intel-QPI)

And I will repeat this again the X79 HAS NOTHING to do with or even being capable of 3.0 PCIe. Exactly like the X79 Twin brother, the Intel® BD82C602 PCH http://ark.intel.com/products/63984/Intel-BD82C602-PCH
    Last edited by Take it Upstairs; 03-25-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Banned Array

If you or anyone could post a link to any official Intel claims of PCIe 3.0 support, that would be swell.
    Here you go Mikey! I hope you like it.

INTELS OWN X79 motherboard!
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...rd-dx79si.html

And the "advanced" block diagram that comes with the INTEL X79 MOTHERBOARD here:
    http://images.anandtech.com/doci/508...%20Diagram.png

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc...reme-brief.pdf

Dam... Intel pulled the wool over your eyes.

What I am saying is Intel, and Nvidia is full of ShiXt, PERIOD.
    Last edited by Take it Upstairs; 03-25-2012 at 07:02 PM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Hyper's Avatar

In my manual that came with my 3960x stated PCI 3.0

And right here, the 3960x twin brother: http://ark.intel.com/products/64620/...GTs-Intel-QPI)

And I will repeat this again the X79 HAS NOTHING to do with or even being capable of 3.0 PCIe. Exactly like the X79 Twin brother, the Intel® BD82C602 PCH http://ark.intel.com/products/63984/Intel-BD82C602-PCH
    Then maybe you should be venting your frustrations on their websites and not here?

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    Then maybe you should be venting your frustrations on their websites and not here?
    Frustrations? with whom? I am just telling it how it is. Sometimes people cannot except the truth.

In actuality, I am overwhelmed with Joy, as Intel is swapping my 2, 3960x C1 for 2 brand new Xeon E5-2687W's.
    And My 2 R4E motherboards I will be receiving a full refund from my distubutor.. I will then obtain a Dell Precision T7600 bare-bones workstation (when it's released) and drop the 2 Xeon E5-2687W's in it.
    Last edited by Take it Upstairs; 03-25-2012 at 07:29 PM.

mdzcpa PC Specs
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    OS WIN 10 Pro

Well, based on your links, I certainly stand corrected when it comes to Intel's X79 motherboard advertising.

But I also get the feeling that Intel had already invested thier money in advertising materials developed for their Intel X79 motherboards and simply let that just fly even though they retracted PCIe 3.0 support weeks before SB-E/X79 launch.

As for the server chip and server chipset...whatever. Even though the Xeon processor does show PCIe 3.0, the desktop versions do not:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/63696/...ache-3_30-GHz)
    http://ark.intel.com/products/63697/...ache-3_20-GHz)
    http://ark.intel.com/products/63698/...ache-3_60-GHz)

3960X

....all show PCIe revision as 2.0 on Intel's own website.

Sorry, but you haven't convinced anyone that these chips officially suppot Gen 3.

If anything, it appears the "wool pulling" might be the other way around. I'm sure Intel would prefer everyone to believe that SB-E is PCIe 3.0 without them actually having to commit to saying so.

By the way, can you possbily post anything without flames and insults? Just curious.
    Last edited by mdzcpa; 03-25-2012 at 07:48 PM.

mdzcpa PC Specs
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    OS WIN 10 Pro

In actuality, I am overwhelmed with Joy, as Intel is swapping my 2, 3960x C1 for 2 brand new Xeon E5-2687W's.
    And My 2 R4E motherboards I will be receiving a full refund from my distubutor.. I will then obtain a Dell Precision T7600 bare-bones workstation (when it's released) and drop the 2 Xeon E5-2687W's in it.
    Awesome! Then you really will have PCIe 3.0 support.!! Congrats!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast