cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GeForce GTX 680 Release Driver Limits PCI-Express to Gen 2.0 on X79/SNB-E Systems

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Users of systems running Core i7 processors in the LGA2011 package and X79 chipset motherboards will find that their GeForce GTX 680 will not run at PCI-Express 3.0 x16 mode, using launch drivers. This is because NVIDIA decided against implementing Gen 3.0 support for the new GPU on X79/SNB-E systems, at the very last moment. Pre-launch drivers, including the driver that ships on discs with the graphics cards, and review drivers (which cannot be distributed), will let the GPU run at Gen 3.0 mode on some X79/SNB-E systems, however the post-launch stable drivers (such as GeForce 301.10 WHQL), won't.

The specifications page of GeForce GTX 680 on GeForce.com has been updated to mention this:
Quote:
GeForce GTX 680 supports PCI Express 3.0. The Intel X79/SNB-E PCI Express 2.0 platform is only currently supported up to 5GT/s (PCIE 2.0) bus speeds even though some motherboard manufacturers have enabled higher 8GT/s speeds.
Sources in the PC motherboard industry we spoke with, confirmed this change. PCI-Express 3.0 x16, for now, might only run on upcoming "Ivy Bridge" Core systems, running on motherboards with PCI-Express 3.0 compliant components. NVIDIA could be working to fix the issue.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162942

So i brought this x79 board for my Gen 3 cards to run @ Gen 2 speeds great!
62 REPLIES 62

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah I love new graphic cards. But I do not love the new drivers. 😞
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Just means the X79 chip isn't real PCI-E 3.0 😞

LiveOrDie wrote:
Just means the X79 chip isn't real PCI-E 3.0 😞

I don't recall Intel ever stating the X79 chip was PCI-E 3.0

Shamino
well there was an old driver that made it 3.0 for x79 but i think becos once oc bclk to 105 then the vga cannot handle so u bsod when entering os so then the new drivers forced it to gen 2 on x79

Shamino wrote:
well there was an old driver that made it 3.0 for x79 but i think becos once oc bclk to 105 then the vga cannot handle so u bsod when entering os so then the new drivers forced it to gen 2 on x79

That really sucks will this be fixed in bios updates?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I guess Intel is the only one who can tell us. My personal view is that we really do not have any Gen3 hardware to even test. I do not care what these VGA marketing muppets are trying to claim that their cards are Gen3 I have my doubts about that big time.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Shamino
nope, no matter what u do at board side, if drivers say 3.0 then its 3.0, if drivers say 2.0 then its 2.0

mdzcpa
Level 12
This must be an Nvidia issue. My AMD 7970s run PCIe 3.0 fine on the RIVE and the P9X79 Deluxe.

mdzcpa wrote:
This must be an Nvidia issue. My AMD 7970s run PCIe 3.0 fine on the RIVE and the P9X79 Deluxe.

My first post in this thread. LOL.

Carry on............